Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 01:27 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

I have it on YouTube Music and it's ok. It's no "Renaissance" that's for sure. It is different. Aside from "Texas Hold 'Em" and "16 Carriages", "Riverdance" and "Levii's Jeans" are decent tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 04:37 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm giving Beyonce credit for exploring new genres, she definitely will get my respect for that. Having said that, I never liked her style as a singer (including Destiny's Child), to me it's her almost whiny singing voice that doesn't do it for me. Mad respect for her talents, but I can't stand listening to her. Having said all of that, out of curiosity I sampled a few numbers but I stand by my opinion that I can't stand her voice.

I agree.

I know she is talented, maybe a nice person (don't care) but it is the sound of her voice that I just can't stand either, whiny, exactly, her voice is really whiny for sure.

I remember one time listening to the radio and a song came on and I didn't know what it was, and had told my friend, OMG, can you please change the station I can't stand this chicks voice, who is this singing?

and my friend said that's Beyonce. LOL.
That's when I realized that I really hate her singing voice.
But, I did listen to her CD, I wanted to hear what it was all about.

Old 04-03-2024, 05:00 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Ken Burns is a fan.

Hopefully this gift link works.

https://wapo.st/3VMeAyC

Old 04-05-2024, 11:50 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Believe it or not many black people cringe at the sound of any white person singing blues even white performers who mimic black artist. The only difference is white artist have always been welcomed with open arms at blues festivals and to the chagrin of one particular black blues artist, white artist even receive Grammys in a genre for black music.

IMO She is no different from Eric Clapton or Bonnie Raitt who put out rock albums and then decided to put out a blues album. Clapton and Raitt will always be rock artist who put out blues albums and Beyonce will always be an R&B artist who put out a country album.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:11 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Believe it or not many black people cringe at the sound of any white person singing blues even white performers who mimic black artist. The only difference is white artist have always been welcomed with open arms at blues festivals and to the chagrin of one particular black blues artist, white artist even receive Grammys in a genre for black music.
Not true. For the most part, anyone who is good at singing the blues is welcomed and celebrated. Most black people will even tell you that the greatest blues guitarist of all time is Stevie Ray Vaughn. So your "many black people cringe...." comment is false.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:38 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Not true. For the most part, anyone who is good at singing the blues is welcomed and celebrated. Most black people will even tell you that the greatest blues guitarist of all time is Stevie Ray Vaughn. So your "many black people cringe...." comment is false.
The most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Why is it so important to you that black people approve of Stevie? It's just part of the mythology of music. There are even black blues artists today who have back stories about going down south to learn from an authentic black southerner. That’s ridiculous too. They are black and blues is how black people interpret contemporary music. I don't think Beyonce is seeking the approval of white country fans. IMO Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton support Beyonce due to the fact that they remember the old days. When a single artist could record; a gospel album and then a folk album and then a blues album and then a pop album. I don’t think black blues fans think of Stevie any differently than they think of “Tennessee Ernie Ford sings the blues.”

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-05-2024 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-05-2024, 09:17 PM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I really have no interest in her music of any kind, but I am not surprised that she has ventured into country. I have noticed that it has become more popular lately with younger people, for some reason, perhaps a revolt against hip-hop? Naturally she is trying to make as much money as possible so spreading out to a wider audience is helping her do that. I went to a wedding last summer in the Seattle area, which is not known for country music, but the bridal party did very well coordinated line dancing and most of their music was country. Just last week I saw in the news that Star 101.5 FM radio, which has been "Hot Adult Contemporary" for 30 years has changed to country music. It's now Hank FM, which operates under the banner “Real Country… Real Variety.”
Hip-hop is not having a good look lately, that's for sure. It has no soul. Soul music does, but not hip-hop.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:23 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
The question does Blues have a large enough Black North American fan base to matter? Or is it just a roots music mostly ignored. Unlike Jazz which carries with it a tag of the classical music of Black America worthy of study at our universities. It was R&B and now Hip-Hop which won over the Blues as the dominate pop music genre.

I remember a lot of side racial eyes a decade ago when Justin Timberlake won a best male R&B artist award over Robin Thicke and Miguel in one of those other than Grammy awards shows. And that time the average fan might have known one Black Blues artist because Gary Clark Jr was started to get the represent the Blues gigs because also a pop star John Mayer's absence due to his not singing due to medical problems

Old 04-06-2024, 02:50 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

Most black people will even tell you that the greatest blues guitarist of all time is Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Stop lying, lmao

Old 04-06-2024, 03:13 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Without the society that see's the guitarist as second in importance or the instrument which makes the genre Rock, or Electric Blues I don't think as a community we think of G.O.A.T of guitar.

SRV would be generational too young for Hendrix when his estate forced you to buy his music while videos of Stevie Ray were freely available. And too old for the most recent star who also played guitar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music