Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 02:27 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

OK, so whats all the hype over Beyonce's "Cowboy Carter"?
I just down loaded it for free. (so that works)

Transferred it to my i-tunes and me and my spouse sat here and listened to it.

27 songs of Beyonce. The CD holds 80 minutes, and this CD was 1 hour and 19 minutes, just enough for the 80 minutes on a CD.

PAINFUL!, It was absolutely PAINFUL to listen to.
To be fair, we did listen to all of it in it's entirety to give a true review.

Terrible, it was really terrible to listen to. I came to the conclusion that I do not like her voice at all.
It is painful to my ears to hear. There was one song "Bodyguard" that I felt like I had heard that beat somewhere but couldn't place it, none the less, I didn't hate that one at all.
Would I listen to it again?, no I would not.
Would I change the dial if it came on the radio?, no I wouldn't do that either.

But, 27 songs of all Beyonce was incredibly painful to listen to.
I wasn't a "Destiny's Child" fan either, so her voice just doesn't do it for me.

The "Texas Hold Em" dance is fun for every one, I will give her that.

I don't think any artist I would want to hear 27 songs all in a row from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 02:50 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
I listened to her cover of Jolene..
And it's not a bad song, but it completely misses the spirit of the original. The original was about sympathetic vulnerability.. pleading with Jolene not to take her man.
This version is a menacing warning to Jolene..

Old 03-31-2024, 04:17 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
OK, so whats all the hype over Beyonce's "Cowboy Carter"?
I just down loaded it for free. (so that works)

Transferred it to my i-tunes and me and my spouse sat here and listened to it.

27 songs of Beyonce. The CD holds 80 minutes, and this CD was 1 hour and 19 minutes, just enough for the 80 minutes on a CD.

PAINFUL!, It was absolutely PAINFUL to listen to.
To be fair, we did listen to all of it in it's entirety to give a true review.

Terrible, it was really terrible to listen to. I came to the conclusion that I do not like her voice at all.
It is painful to my ears to hear. There was one song "Bodyguard" that I felt like I had heard that beat somewhere but couldn't place it, none the less, I didn't hate that one at all.
Would I listen to it again?, no I would not.
Would I change the dial if it came on the radio?, no I wouldn't do that either.

But, 27 songs of all Beyonce was incredibly painful to listen to.
I wasn't a "Destiny's Child" fan either, so her voice just doesn't do it for me.

The "Texas Hold Em" dance is fun for every one, I will give her that.

I don't think any artist I would want to hear 27 songs all in a row from.
Kinda doubt that you listened to all of it since of the 27 tracts several are just interludes, many of which don't feature Beyonce.

In addition there are several that are collaborations with other artists, no comments on how they did?

Old 03-31-2024, 04:20 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I listened to her cover of Jolene..
And it's not a bad song, but it completely misses the spirit of the original. The original was about sympathetic vulnerability.. pleading with Jolene not to take her man.
This version is a menacing warning to Jolene..

I would argue that Beyonce's version is more empowering in the sense that she's not depending on the other woman to be the one stop the relationship.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:27 PM

2,071 posts, read 889,940 times
“Cowboy Carter” was five years in the making, a direct result of what Beyoncé has called “an experience that I had years ago where I did not feel welcomed … and it was very clear that I wasn’t,” most likely a reference to a 2016 CMAs performance that resulted in racist backlash.

https://fortune.com/2024/03/29/why-d...cowboy-carter/

Nevertheless, she declared on social media, “This ain’t a Country album. This is a ‘Beyoncé’ album” — in 10 words separating herself from the industry while still identifying herself as someone working in and with the genre.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:54 PM

134 posts, read 49,353 times
I don't plan on listening simply because I can't stand country music, but you'll never hear a respected musician or vocalist say that Beyoncé isn't talented. A marketing genius equally as much.

I like her better in the gospel/R&B genres that she started out in, though. Can't stand country music.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:04 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I would argue that Beyonce's version is more empowering in the sense that she's not depending on the other woman to be the one stop the relationship.
True.. but Jolene is not an empowering song.. it's a sympathetic song.

I don't understand completely reworking someone else's art? Just write your own empowerment song, instead of profiting off the name recognition of Dolly's version? Is Beyoncé going to record a cover album of famous Blues songs, that are all happy versions(?)

Old 04-01-2024, 05:20 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
True.. but Jolene is not an empowering song.. it's a sympathetic song.

I don't understand completely reworking someone else's art? Just write your own empowerment song, instead of profiting off the name recognition of Dolly's version? Is Beyoncé going to record a cover album of famous Blues songs, that are all happy versions(?)
In 2022, Dolly said it would be a marvelous day in her life if Beyonce ever did "Jolene":

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/29/enter...ene/index.html

Old 04-01-2024, 07:23 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
I don't understand completely reworking someone else's art? Just write your own empowerment song, instead of profiting off the name recognition of Dolly's version?

You obviously didn't really do any listening or bother looking into the history of the album because Dolly collaborated with Beyoncé on that song, and she is laughing all the way to the bank, as are all the other collaborators.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:40 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I mean, she's warning Jolene to stay away from her man in that song.

Empowering would be kicking her cheating man to the curb.

In the end, it's the same song with a twist. Dolly's version pleads for Jolene to please not take her man while Beyonce's version tells Jolene to back the heck off of her man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music