Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,735,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Being from Texas, I like to think I know a little bit about BBQ - maybe that's al just in my mind though. I've only tried a few places here so far so I am certainly reserving judgement until I have a larger data set to work with. With that said, for the most part, I've been mildly disappointed... until today...

This post is actually fairly timely because I just had probably one of the best brisket sandwiches I've ever had in my life and it was from a food truck of all places. If you ever find yourself with an opportunity, and you like good brisket, I hgihly recommend hitting up the Delta Bound food truck and sampling their Smokehouse Sandwich. Sweet baby Jesus, it's good!
Well there's your problem. Brisket isn't real BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:50 PM

593 posts, read 1,357,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Pork > beef

It's science.
Pork + beef = better science.

I used to get ribs for lunch at Martin's in Mt. Juliet and then stop across the way at Big Bad Wolf to get a brisket sandwich to eat later at dinner. Nothing wrong with having a preference, but there's a lot of good eatin' out there.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
I'm sorry, but I disagree with that.

The best BBQ joints I've been to in my life are shacks, or an open area with a roof and a smoker sitting under it. As far as large towns, Memphis has Nashville beat, hands down.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,425,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Pork + beef = better science.

I used to get ribs for lunch at Martin's in Mt. Juliet and then stop across the way at Big Bad Wolf to get a brisket sandwich to eat later at dinner. Nothing wrong with having a preference, but there's a lot of good eatin' out there.
I second that. The best way to make one meat better is to stack a different meat on top. mmmm. When in doubt, go with bacon.

Travel&Leisure: Nashville #1 in US for BBQ-best-friends-forever.jpeg

Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with that.

The best BBQ joints I've been to in my life are shacks, or an open area with a roof and a smoker sitting under it. As far as large towns, Memphis has Nashville beat, hands down.
I think that's what we're all saying here.

Most of the Nashville people I talk to about this ranking are like, "Uh, no."

I do think the concept of having a variety of BBQ options is interesting, though. I have been on a chicken jag lately. Edley's and Martin's are neck and neck in that race.

Research time!!!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:33 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,991 times
So I think I am pickin up what you guys are puttin down. Apparently I left a little bit of my 'Texas' showing by referencing brisket over pulled pork or is it sausage that is the pork of choice? Because, if it's suasage, I would be cool with that. I will, however, NEVER agree that pulled pork > brisket. That is just ludicrous.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,346,596 times
Brisket is ludicrous.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,479,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think that's what we're all saying here.

Most of the Nashville people I talk to about this ranking are like, "Uh, no."

I do think the concept of having a variety of BBQ options is interesting, though. I have been on a chicken jag lately. Edley's and Martin's are neck and neck in that race.

Research time!!!
Agreed 100%. Is Nashville in the top 10? Probably. Maybe between #8-10 based largely on diversity as you mentioned. There's seriously no need for Memphians to get upset on this one. It's akin to someone putting out an article "Top 5 Places Associated with Elvis" and putting RCA Studio B #1 ahead of Graceland. I guess it just adds to the sibling rivalry between the 2 cities.

Also second the recommendation on Martin's chicken. The Alabama White Sauce. Dee. Lish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Brisket is ludicrous.
I've had great brisket before around here (full disclosure for the brisket lovers, I recognize I've never had "real" brisket in Texas, so go ahead and put that line away) and it is very good. I've also mostly had very forgettable to unforgettably bad brisket most of the time. But on any given day, I'll take average pulled pork over great brisket personally.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,991 times
Wow. I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone, and I was loving it here so much...

Old 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,727,996 times
Quote:
Also second the recommendation on Martin's chicken. The Alabama White Sauce. Dee. Lish.
Martins' wings and Alabama sauce - mmmmm.

Brisket > pulled pork for this native Kansan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville