Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:37 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,730,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
He sounds awesome.
Carey IS awesome! And they have a nice patio, especially after the sun goes down and you can sit and look at the downtown skyline.

Plus, he has one of the best ever responses to a Yelp review.

REVIEW: I was in Tennessee a few weeks ago for a work trip and the only thing I could think about was some good BBQ. Finally I got a chance to go and my co-worker suggested this place which I should have known by the name wasn't exactly what I wanted seeing as how I don't eat pork. I figured though that they'd have brisket like most BBQ joints, which is what I was really wanting.

When we got there I was instantly disappointed. Everything on the menu was pork with the exception of chicken wings. I don't think of chicken wings when I think of BBQ, but it was really my only option so I went ahead and ordered it. Luckily my company paid for it too, because this place is very pricey.

I will give them the fact that they were some of the best wings I've ever had and their BBQ sauce was delicious. It just didn't cure my BBQ craving unfortunately.

The place itself isn't much to rave about. It looks like a typical hole in the wall joint. Maybe it's the California in me, but I really did not like their logo either. It's just a little too twisted for me.

CAREY'S RESPONSE:

12/1/2013 LeeAnn:

I noticed that you gave us a 2 star rating. I would ask you to reconsider your rating given the fact that you don't eat pork and we are a pork restaurant. We serve traditional Tennessee BBQ which is Pork and Chicken. Brisket is native to Texas. Rather than trying to be everything to everyone, we specialize in what we do best and to highlight our local roots. It sounds like you loved our wings and sauce so it is hard to understand the low rating.

As far as the logo is concerned, I lost my leg to Osteogenic Sarcoma (a rare bone cancer) at the age of 17. The logo of the pig missing a leg is a parody of me. I literally am the Peg Leg Porker. Creating this brand was the way that I was able to make light of a very dire situation. By poking fun at myself, I have helped countless others understand that there is life after an amputation or cancer. In fact we also sell shirts that read "Limpin Ain't Easy". They are extremely popular with our clients with disabilities and their families.

Thank you for dining with us.

Sincerely,
Carey Bringle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,481,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"We are not curing cancer." LOL

He sounds awesome. Thanks, Don!
I have met him and he definitely seems like a good dude. And to further magnify on the cancer comment, he lost his leg in childhood due to cancer (hence the tongue-in-cheek name "Peg Leg Porker").

Quote:
He really does nail it. I guess the thing I wish people understood was how BBQ really is about history for a lot of people. Maybe that's why they get SO riled up. It really is tied to "place," and that's why we have these regional differences that we are proud of.
Exactly. Pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers...everybody has their own regional spin and, of course, generally think theirs is the best.

Quote:
I will admit that, having grown up in Memphis, I never, ever had brisket until I moved here and someone else who moved here from Texas made it. Variety is a good thing.
I agree. While I haven't had that epiphany moment with brisket yet, I'm sure there's some out there that will put pulled pork to shame. But it's like religion...if you're raised a certain way, it's awfully hard to shed those preconceptions and embrace something else. And there definitely is a religion or cult of Q.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,481,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Carey IS awesome! And they have a nice patio, especially after the sun goes down and you can sit and look at the downtown skyline.

Plus, he has one of the best ever responses to a Yelp review.
That is great.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,420,633 times
Quote:
Aw, you had to know it was coming! It's all in fun, though.

Just go over to the Texas forum for a bit. I'm sure you can find some brisket lovers there!
Quote:
"We are not curing cancer." LOL

He sounds awesome. Thanks, Don!

He really does nail it. I guess the thing I wish people understood was how BBQ really is about history for a lot of people. Maybe that's why they get SO riled up. It really is tied to "place," and that's why we have these regional differences that we are proud of.

I will admit that, having grown up in Memphis, I never, ever had brisket until I moved here and someone else who moved here from Texas made it. Variety is a good thing.

I wish he hadn't mentioned Bozo's, though. Now I will be thinking about it all day. My grandmother was from Mason, TN.
I've been all over and had all types of bbq. Best I ever had was lamb from a hole in the wall, dirt on the floor shop in Defuniack springs fl.

Denos in Fulton Kentucky is good.

But it really can be based on what you grew up eating. It was nothing for my grandfather to bring me to a bbq where raccoon, goat, turtle (yes bbq turtle) and many other things on multiple smokers.

Best ribs I ever had was from a state trooper in nw tennessee. He smoked them for two days. Awesome.

I just know that Nashville, for all of its bbq, is not generally the best in the state. In my humble opinion.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:12 PM

263 posts, read 615,046 times
Quote:
BB's!!!!!
Excellent! Thanks, Wmsn4Life! That place is really good and reminds me of some of the shady bbq shacks in West TN.

BTW, I remember when I was a kid in Jackson and my grandma would take my grandpa to the VA in Memphis. She would always take the 'long-way' back so that she could stop at Bozo's in Mason. I share your affinity for that one!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:23 PM

95 posts, read 178,232 times
Wow. There seems to be a lot of #1 rankings for BBQ.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...-no-1-u-s.html

Old 05-25-2014, 09:11 PM

722 posts, read 2,102,957 times
12 recipes for an unforgettable Memorial Day barbecue | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville