Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 04:01 PM

764 posts, read 1,107,967 times

Advertisements

In the announcement that Macy's, Inc. will close 150 of their stores, they also said they plan to open 15 Bloomingdale's stores. It would seem that the Nashville area would be a prime target for one of the 15 stores.

Most would say that if they were to open a Bloomingdale's, they would choose The Mal at Green Hills, however, I would disagree with the conventional wisdom for several reasons and argue that they will pick Cool Springs Galleria instead.

First, it's hard to see where they could find land to build on The Mall at Green Hills property. Second, Nordstrom originally planned to build their store just north of Moore Lane on Mallory Lane near the I-65 interchange, however, the Brentwood City Council nixed that idea because they didn't want the additional traffic coming into the area. Third, Williamson County is the most affluent county in the State of Tennesse, yet CoolSprings Galleria doesn't reflect that - You would never know it serves a community where the average home price is north of $700K. A Bloomingdale's would have the high end all to themselves for a large population of high-income households. Finally, other retailers are recognizing the strong retail market potential of Williamson as reflected by the announced plans to build the Premium Outlet Center by the Simon Group (I think it will be near the Goose Creek Interchange of I-65).

There is plenty of available land to build a Bloomingdales at CoolSprings. they could even build a parking garage to accommodate it, too. Also, it's not that far of a drive from Forest Hills and Oak Hill, so, it's not like it would be inconvenient for all of the wealthier households in Davidson County, either. Anyway, don't be surprised to see an announcement of Bloomingdale's coming to the Nashville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 04:41 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Nashville is a logical choice for a Bloomingdale's store. There's a ton of households in the Nashville area with the demographics a store like Bloomingdale's looks for = high wealth.

Nashville already has a Nordstrom's, and that is in the same category as Bloomingdale's.

It would be cool if Nashville landed a Bloomingdale's and they decided to open at one of the proposed developments in midtown--either the Beaman or Reed districts that will have multiple high and midrise residential/hotel/office towers being built in the next 1-5 years or so.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:17 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
In the announcement that Macy's, Inc. will close 150 of their stores, they also said they plan to open 15 Bloomingdale's stores. It would seem that the Nashville area would be a prime target for one of the 15 stores.

Most would say that if they were to open a Bloomingdale's, they would choose The Mal at Green Hills, however, I would disagree with the conventional wisdom for several reasons and argue that they will pick Cool Springs Galleria instead.

First, it's hard to see where they could find land to build on The Mall at Green Hills property. Second, Nordstrom originally planned to build their store just north of Moore Lane on Mallory Lane near the I-65 interchange, however, the Brentwood City Council nixed that idea because they didn't want the additional traffic coming into the area. Third, Williamson County is the most affluent county in the State of Tennesse, yet CoolSprings Galleria doesn't reflect that - You would never know it serves a community where the average home price is north of $700K. A Bloomingdale's would have the high end all to themselves for a large population of high-income households. Finally, other retailers are recognizing the strong retail market potential of Williamson as reflected by the announced plans to build the Premium Outlet Center by the Simon Group (I think it will be near the Goose Creek Interchange of I-65).

There is plenty of available land to build a Bloomingdales at CoolSprings. they could even build a parking garage to accommodate it, too. Also, it's not that far of a drive from Forest Hills and Oak Hill, so, it's not like it would be inconvenient for all of the wealthier households in Davidson County, either. Anyway, don't be surprised to see an announcement of Bloomingdale's coming to the Nashville area.
Williamson County is woefully underserved in high end retail and restaurants. It makes sense that the Premium Outlets would choose Franklin. That area around Berry Farms is the perfect location. I would say that many of the same shoppers you see in Green Hills are from Williamson County. Cool Springs Galleria should have a Nordstrom and at least a Von Maur. The mall has improved some over the years but lacks high end department stores. Nordstrom Rack is opening a location next to Marshall's across from the Kroger shopping center, so it's progress..Aureum is also planned for the McEwen Dr. area which should help further fill in the gaps. This development reminds me of Perimeter Center in its early stages. Hopefully this area attracts more higher density developments. I believe that Brentwood could support a Whole Foods or Trader Joes in the Maryland Farms area. The incomes and, especially, daytime population make a lot of sense. Kroger is...Kroger lol.

https://kdc.com/our-work/aureum

https://press.nordstrom.com/news-rel...klin-tennessee

https://www.thenewstn.com/business/m...469799d5c.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Nashville is a logical choice for a Bloomingdale's store. There's a ton of households in the Nashville area with the demographics a store like Bloomingdale's looks for = high wealth.

Nashville already has a Nordstrom's, and that is in the same category as Bloomingdale's.

It would be cool if Nashville landed a Bloomingdale's and they decided to open at one of the proposed developments in midtown--either the Beaman or Reed districts that will have multiple high and midrise residential/hotel/office towers being built in the next 1-5 years or so.
I agree with this. Midtown is the prime location for these type of department stores. Bloomingdale's announcement immediately made me think of Nashville. Saks Fifth Avenue has the Fifth Avenue Club which is a concierge styling program for guests. It is not a department store, but does provide personal shoppers and stylists. Bloomingdale's has introduced its smaller concept called Bloomie's. If successful, I think it could expand to the Nashville region. It is not a full scale department store, but it is also not an outlet. Nashville is weird in this way, where retailers tend to open smaller format stores or concepts if they decide to open (Dilllard's in Green Hills is significantly smaller than flagship stores in similarly sized metros). The Mall at Green Hills could use the parking lot in front of the mall for an additional anchor, but it might be cost prohibitive, as that is the main entrance to the mall with several store fronts.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

I agree with this. Midtown is the prime location for these type of department stores. Bloomingdale's announcement immediately made me think of Nashville. Saks Fifth Avenue has the Fifth Avenue Club which is a concierge styling program for guests. It is not a department store, but does provide personal shoppers and stylists. Bloomingdale's has introduced its smaller concept called Bloomie's. If successful, I think it could expand to the Nashville region. It is not a full scale department store, but it is also not an outlet. Nashville is weird in this way, where retailers tend to open smaller format stores or concepts if they decide to open (Dilllard's in Green Hills is significantly smaller than flagship stores in similarly sized metros). The Mall at Green Hills could use the parking lot in front of the mall for an additional anchor, but it might be cost prohibitive, as that is the main entrance to the mall with several store fronts.
Yeah, I think with all of the continued development boom in midtown and downtown specifically, a luxury department store should be located there. I think the Beaman or Reed districts, or even the Nashville Yards area or possibly even the east bank development, are good locations.

I have heard rumors from a few blogs and development contacts that an urban Target will land at either Nashville Yards, or if not, the midtown developments. Also, I've heard that Trader Joe's has been eyeing midtown for a store, in the next couple of years.

It's really inevitable to happen, with all of the higher end, nice housing going in. Retail amenities will fast follow for sure.

Exciting to see happen.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:28 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
It's challenging to predict if Nashville will see a Bloomingdale's. Traditionally, the brand opts for larger markets boasting established luxury retail scenes, exemplified by cities like NYC and Chicago. Typically, Bloomingdale's considers a 3 to 4 million population range as the entry point, with exceptions like Honolulu and Orlando, as well as ten other spots in Florida.

Another indicator is the presence of other high-end retailers such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus, which are often found alongside Bloomingdale's in locations with proven high sales.

Macy's is actively working towards reclaiming its status as a top-tier retailer, and it's likely that strategic decisions will shape its future trajectory. Expect smart moves from Macy's in the times ahead.

Quote:
I have heard rumors from a few blogs and development contacts that an urban Target will land at either Nashville Yards, or if not, the midtown developments.
I think that is a given. Target usually posts their new opening 2 to 4 years out on their website. I think midtown is more likely due to the small footprint Targets are near a major university.

I think too many high end apartments and condos are going up for there to not be any major announcements. Something big is on its way. How soon, I don't know.

Old 03-02-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
It's challenging to predict if Nashville will see a Bloomingdale's. Traditionally, the brand opts for larger markets boasting established luxury retail scenes, exemplified by cities like NYC and Chicago. Typically, Bloomingdale's considers a 3 to 4 million population range as the entry point, with exceptions like Honolulu and Orlando, as well as ten other spots in Florida.

Another indicator is the presence of other high-end retailers such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus, which are often found alongside Bloomingdale's in locations with proven high sales.

Macy's is actively working towards reclaiming its status as a top-tier retailer, and it's likely that strategic decisions will shape its future trajectory. Expect smart moves from Macy's in the times ahead.
I think Nashville's high earning demographics in several counties would make it attractive option for a store like Bloomingdale's to enter into. Neiman Marcus is sort of long in the tooth, so-to-speak, and is not the desired store it used to be, unfortunately. Saks is sort of holding its own, but outside of the bigger market stores (New York, Chicago), the stores are not as a fabulous experience as they used to be.

I think Bloomingdales is still a good brand, and is equivalent to Nordstrom's, for example, but Bloomingdale's is not the uber lux brand it once was either. These stores have been struggling outside of major big cities, especially since covid-19 hit, I think.

But despite this, I still think it would be nice if Nashville landed at least a Bloomingdale's. I see it as inevitable to land one of those 3: Bloomingdale's, Neiman or Saks.

Quote:
I think that is a given. Target usually posts their new opening 2 to 4 years out on their website. I think midtown is more likely due to the small footprint Targets are near a major university.

I think too many high end apartments and condos are going up for there to not be any major announcements. Something big is on its way. How soon, I don't know.
Yeah, the downtown and midtown areas in Nashville are in need of a department store, and a Target should hopefully fill that void soon.

Old 03-02-2024, 04:46 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
I think Nashville's high earning demographics in several counties would make it attractive option for a store like Bloomingdale's to enter into. Neiman Marcus is sort of long in the tooth, so-to-speak, and is not the desired store it used to be, unfortunately. Saks is sort of holding its own, but outside of the bigger market stores (New York, Chicago), the stores are not as a fabulous experience as they used to be.

I think Bloomingdales is still a good brand, and is equivalent to Nordstrom's, for example, but Bloomingdale's is not the uber lux brand it once was either. These stores have been struggling outside of major big cities, especially since covid-19 hit, I think.

But despite this, I still think it would be nice if Nashville landed at least a Bloomingdale's. I see it as inevitable to land one of those 3: Bloomingdale's, Neiman or Saks.

Yeah, the downtown and midtown areas in Nashville are in need of a department store, and a Target should hopefully fill that void soon.
It's been many years since shopping Bloomingdale's (Michigan Avenue in Chicago) and they where a level above Saks and Niemans. Nordstrom is the next step below them depending upon the store.

I will be MIA from city-data for a while due to other commitments but will follow-up on this post in a few years to see the changes.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It's been many years since shopping Bloomingdale's (Michigan Avenue in Chicago) and they where a level above Saks and Niemans. Nordstrom is the next step below them depending upon the store.

I will be MIA from city-data for a while due to other commitments but will follow-up on this post in a few years to see the changes.
Yeah, it's always a fun shopping experience. I made it into Saks here in New York in early December, and the excitement level, the decorations and the lux experience made it very exciting, indeed.

I hope Nashville can land one of those 3 stores in the near future, to go along with Nordstrom.

Be well and enjoy your city-data break! Cheers.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:51 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Bloomingdale's has introduced its smaller concept called Bloomie's. If successful, I think it could expand to the Nashville region.
I think you are right. Opening a full-size department store, while not impossible, is challenging in this environment. If/when they entire the Nashville market, I believe it will be through Bloomie's.

The smaller format just opened here (University Village, Seattle) and it fit well within an already-crowded lifestyle center. The stock is nicely curated too - much better than a giant department store with rows of stuff people don't really want to look through. I much prefer the smaller format, tbh.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:18 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
If you want a store near in Cool Springs maybe watch for a property like JC Penney that becomes repurposed. For a smaller store maybe redo Stein Mart property. Then you may have other stores like Office Max/ Office Depot.

At some time need something Midtown or the Gulch area. May be enough downtown population to support small department stores. If someone wants to cater to tourist market maybe something on Broadway. As East Bank Nashville site of New Nissan Stadium maybe a store could go there.

May be time for a new store name to be born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville