Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:10 AM

76 posts, read 222,669 times

Advertisements

Thanks Pimpy and DonCorleone...After reading about End of the Road and skating, for some reason I have Blame it on the Rain and 5th grade and Cameron Middle School stuck in my head now....lol.....wow.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM

815 posts, read 2,017,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
Thanks Pimpy and DonCorleone...After reading about End of the Road and skating, for some reason I have Blame it on the Rain and 5th grade and Cameron Middle School stuck in my head now....lol.....wow.....
I went to Cameron!!! Blue and Gold Panthers, then we became McGavock Raiders! I don't know when you were there, but they actually had a reunion for people who went from the early and mid 90's. There is also a facebook group for Cameron Middle Alumni.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I went to Cameron!!! Blue and Gold Panthers, then we became McGavock Raiders! I don't know when you were there, but they actually had a reunion for people who went from the early and mid 90's. There is also a facebook group for Cameron Middle Alumni.
I was there in 89/90 then transferred to Carter Lawrence. Cameron was horrible when I went there. We had to be careful on the football field and other school grounds due to druggies using needles and leaving them on the ground, our bus driver nearly got killed by a couple of thugs that mugged him for his money while cleaning out the bus in front of the school in broad daylight.

I hope the area has somewhat improved, but I highly doubt it because last time I drove down Mboro Rd and Lafayette St. I nearly hit a some project people that just walked across the street at random while drinking from those liquor bottles and 45's in brown bags with no care about the fact a vehicle could hit them.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
FYI NASHVILLIANS ... every city in America had a radio station -- usually hard rock -- that used that "Lock it in and rip the knobs off" line. I betcha it was the same guy who did it in every city (that's quite common in radio). In fact, there's an episode of Family Guy that was on TBS just the other night that made fun of that line.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
FYI NASHVILLIANS ... every city in America had a radio station -- usually hard rock -- that used that "Lock it in and rip the knobs off" line. I betcha it was the same guy who did it in every city (that's quite common in radio). In fact, there's an episode of Family Guy that was on TBS just the other night that made fun of that line.
You are correct in your revolutionary breakthrough observation!......but your point??

FYI...GEORGIAN....It was knob, not knobs....The Ernie Anderson (legendary voice of media commercials) website will confirm that for you under section A, most popular lines used, third one down....just above "Lock it in and jerk your knob off"

Last edited by Ratdude; 10-10-2010 at 01:13 AM..

Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Quote:
I remember the roller coaster at the Fair Ground.
When I mention that roller coaster, most people have no idea what I'm talking about! I don't think it was still operational when I was a kid, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_dubya View Post
it's still there, it's just behind the kroger and it's in terrible shape.

eric b
That's sad to hear, but I always thought they demolished it, which I suppose would have been worse.

I was born in 79 and have always lived in Murfreesboro, so I can't remember as much about Nashville as those older than me. But I remember going to 100 Oaks (barely), and we usually went to Hickory Hollow, which was incredible then. On special occasions our parents would take us to Showbiz Pizza. We spent a lot of time in the Hickory Hollow area on Friday evenings. I remember seeing "An American Tail" and "Land Before Time" at the theater in Hickory Hollow (not the one in the mall, the other one). After we'd see a movie we'd go to McDonald's or Rax Roast Beef (remember those alligator-shaped bottles that your drink came in?), or sometimes we'd go to Target, get a bag of candy, then drive out to the airport to watch planes take off.

Sometimes on Saturdays we'd go to Centennial Park and ride the paddle boats and feed ducks, or walk through the Arcade. Of course, except for the paddle boats one could still do those things. I remember those buses that looked like trolley cars. I got to ride on one once, and just the other day I was wondering if any were still running.

I remember KDF as a rock station very well, and in fact we have one of the old round stickers on one of our forklifts at work. 94.1 was the other rock station we listened to, and I think 102.9 was country then. Of course, 96.3 was oldies then, and 92.9 was still the same, but I never listened to that one.

My parents have told me a lot about Nashville back in the 60s and prior, and it really does sound like a fascinating place. My dad says he remembers going to a Krystal downtown, and the only seats were at a bar. He said you'd get your food and eat, and someone would be standing behind you waiting for you to finish, and the place would be packed. It's a neat memory, but to be honest that doesn't sound like I pleasant dining experience. I think I'd just get mine to go!

Of course, living in Murfreesboro I have tons of memories from when my town was different, and it was a LOT different! But that could be a separate thread all together, and I'm not sure we have any other Boro residents from that far back.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
I was there in 89/90 then transferred to Carter Lawrence. Cameron was horrible when I went there. We had to be careful on the football field and other school grounds due to druggies using needles and leaving them on the ground, our bus driver nearly got killed by a couple of thugs that mugged him for his money while cleaning out the bus in front of the school in broad daylight.

I hope the area has somewhat improved, but I highly doubt it because last time I drove down Mboro Rd and Lafayette St. I nearly hit a some project people that just walked across the street at random while drinking from those liquor bottles and 45's in brown bags with no care about the fact a vehicle could hit them.
Yea, the area was horrible, they have cleaned the growns up around the school, PTA etc back when I was there was instrumental in gettin that taken care of, I do remember the drug needles, etc.
Another change to Nashville is the schools that used to be regular/zoned schools that have changed to magnet/speciality schools for instance, Carter Lawrence is an enhanced option and Rose Park, which used a feeder of Carter Lawrence is a magnet school of some sort. Cameron is sopposed to be changing to a charter school or something like that. They are actually in the Glencliff cluster now instead of the McGavock cluster it once used to be so it is a completly different make of kids. The kids from across the street in the projects aren't even zoned for Cameron anymore,they go to Donelson and Two Rivers.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
When I mention that roller coaster, most people have no idea what I'm talking about! I don't think it was still operational when I was a kid, though.

That's sad to hear, but I always thought they demolished it, which I suppose would have been worse.

I was born in 79 and have always lived in Murfreesboro, so I can't remember as much about Nashville as those older than me. But I remember going to 100 Oaks (barely), and we usually went to Hickory Hollow, which was incredible then. On special occasions our parents would take us to Showbiz Pizza. We spent a lot of time in the Hickory Hollow area on Friday evenings. I remember seeing "An American Tail" and "Land Before Time" at the theater in Hickory Hollow (not the one in the mall, the other one). After we'd see a movie we'd go to McDonald's or Rax Roast Beef (remember those alligator-shaped bottles that your drink came in?), or sometimes we'd go to Target, get a bag of candy, then drive out to the airport to watch planes take off.

Sometimes on Saturdays we'd go to Centennial Park and ride the paddle boats and feed ducks, or walk through the Arcade. Of course, except for the paddle boats one could still do those things. I remember those buses that looked like trolley cars. I got to ride on one once, and just the other day I was wondering if any were still running.

I remember KDF as a rock station very well, and in fact we have one of the old round stickers on one of our forklifts at work. 94.1 was the other rock station we listened to, and I think 102.9 was country then. Of course, 96.3 was oldies then, and 92.9 was still the same, but I never listened to that one.

My parents have told me a lot about Nashville back in the 60s and prior, and it really does sound like a fascinating place. My dad says he remembers going to a Krystal downtown, and the only seats were at a bar. He said you'd get your food and eat, and someone would be standing behind you waiting for you to finish, and the place would be packed. It's a neat memory, but to be honest that doesn't sound like I pleasant dining experience. I think I'd just get mine to go!

Of course, living in Murfreesboro I have tons of memories from when my town was different, and it was a LOT different! But that could be a separate thread all together, and I'm not sure we have any other Boro residents from that far back.
I remember when Murfreesboro had nothing!!! Not even that long ago, 1999, when I first started MTSU there was only that one Walmart near the interstate. One new "student" style apartment complex and that was University Court, now there are like 1000 of them, LOL. I remember the old mall with the metal like ceiling, and the old Stones River Mall. I remember going to MTSU games as a child when they had the old stadium with the rust colored track. I remember when Murfreeboro only had the 2 exits, Franklin/Murfreesboro and the Shelbyville Exit, back before 840, Medical Center Pky, and that other exit futher out. I also remember Riverdale having the some of best Halftimers around. I remember when it used to be only 2 lanes on the interstate past Smryna. When I was real young I remeber when it was long distance to call to Murfreesboro... How times have changed... LOL.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:47 PM

172 posts, read 509,786 times
Quote:
Remember the Battle of the Halftimers that were just as popular as the football and basketball games held Saturdays during basketball season? McGavock, Glencliff, Whites Creek, Pearl Cohn and I think Riverdale in Murfreesboro, all hosted contest, other schools may have as well, but most schools had competing teams, and MTSU used to have like a city championship contest.
Remember the old/original farmers market? My parents used to go all the time and I hated it, though it was so dirty, but it used to be full of people and had everything from food to clothing to plants.

YES!!! I miss the H-Timers and the old Farmer's Market aka "Flea Market". Remember when you could drive your car through the old Flea Market and buy produce without even having to get out of the car cause they would bring it all to you car, I miss that old place. I miss going to the movies at fountain square too. I miss working my teenage years at good old Opryland during the summers and during christmas time. Good times. I am loving this post!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post

I loved Rax Roast Beef!, and I remember going to Showbiz Pizza before it was transformed into a Chuckie Cheese, and yes I also remember the alligator bottles. I laugh at it now, but you are a true Middle Tennessean if you have ever watched the plains take off and land at BNA. Wow those were simpler times then....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville