Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geauxgold View Post
I grew up here in Nashville and went to Rainbow Skating Rink in Tusculum, off Nolensville Rd. When I was a around 13, my sister and I started going to Nashville Skate Center on Harding Pl., it burned down in the early 80's and was rebuilt as Music City Skate Center...Anyone remember any of those skating rinks and did you ever go there?
I remember the skating rink which was on Harding place behind where the YMCA is now. I don't remember the Rainbow Rink, must be before my time. Do you remember the one across from Hickory Hollow Mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 AM

76 posts, read 222,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I remember the skating rink which was on Harding place behind where the YMCA is now. I don't remember the Rainbow Rink, must be before my time. Do you remember the one across from Hickory Hollow Mall?

I had my first skating injury at the place that was across from Hickory Hollow : )......

Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Of course, living in Murfreesboro I have tons of memories from when my town was different, and it was a LOT different! But that could be a separate thread all together, and I'm not sure we have any other Boro residents from that far back.
I remember when Riverdale won state, I was a senior and was at the game at vandy. Back when Riverdale and Oakland were the only two schools in the Boro...well there was Franklin road christian, baptist school. Back when the walmart was where the mall is now, before they opened the mall and was first building it and about the time they started doing the interior realized it might be too small.

I also remember when Golf USA, now called Go USA, was a place to cruise for the country/Ag kids and there were no speed bumps in the parking lot. The place was "always" packed....then they put in the speed bumps and it killed business and it was never the same. I too remember when Hickory Hollow was "the" mall and all the super hot chicks worked in makeup at Dillards....I was out of high-school then, but even some of the strippers from the big nashville places worked there during the day

I also remember when 231 was two lanes, and there was a BMW motorcycle dealership in Shelbyville off 231 right as you got into city limits
I also remember there was a Cadillac dealership on the corner of Broad and hwy 96/Northfield next to the Krystals...now its a furniture store. I was riding the bus back from school and watched some guy in a brand new caddy, he just bought, pull out and get hit by some idiot. He actually went around the front of the car...looked at it, and started swinging at the guy with the metal bumper that got knocked off, it was crazy and funny.

I also remember riding up to Mt Juliet on motorcycles when I was a sophmore in HS to meet hot blonde chicks we meet at rivergate mall, that went to school in Mt. juliet, and go hang out at one of the beaches on percy priest at night.

I remember working with Alan from 103 KDF(he worked part-time days at a car dealership) and becoming close friends. On weekends and after work at night sometimes we would go out and use the KDF angle to pick up chicks in downtown Nashville, lol

I have many, many more memories of the boro and other surrounding Nashville areas..........good times, but it has definitely changed..the boro is no longer fields and alot of farm property you can go shoot guns on...same with Franklin.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 AM

76 posts, read 222,813 times
just for a good laugh from the past....The old Y107 Drive Like a Nashvillian song is up on youtube with some other Y107 stuff as well......Just type in drive like a nashvillian and it will come up...

Old 12-30-2011, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 32,604 times
Default Rollercoaster

Quote:
When I mention that roller coaster, most people have no idea what I'm talking about! I don't think it was still operational when I was a kid, though.

That's sad to hear, but I always thought they demolished it, which I suppose would have been worse.

I was born in 79 and have always lived in Murfreesboro, so I can't remember as much about Nashville as those older than me. But I remember going to 100 Oaks (barely), and we usually went to Hickory Hollow, which was incredible then. On special occasions our parents would take us to Showbiz Pizza. We spent a lot of time in the Hickory Hollow area on Friday evenings. I remember seeing "An American Tail" and "Land Before Time" at the theater in Hickory Hollow (not the one in the mall, the other one). After we'd see a movie we'd go to McDonald's or Rax Roast Beef (remember those alligator-shaped bottles that your drink came in?), or sometimes we'd go to Target, get a bag of candy, then drive out to the airport to watch planes take off.

Sometimes on Saturdays we'd go to Centennial Park and ride the paddle boats and feed ducks, or walk through the Arcade. Of course, except for the paddle boats one could still do those things. I remember those buses that looked like trolley cars. I got to ride on one once, and just the other day I was wondering if any were still running.

I remember KDF as a rock station very well, and in fact we have one of the old round stickers on one of our forklifts at work. 94.1 was the other rock station we listened to, and I think 102.9 was country then. Of course, 96.3 was oldies then, and 92.9 was still the same, but I never listened to that one.

My parents have told me a lot about Nashville back in the 60s and prior, and it really does sound like a fascinating place. My dad says he remembers going to a Krystal downtown, and the only seats were at a bar. He said you'd get your food and eat, and someone would be standing behind you waiting for you to finish, and the place would be packed. It's a neat memory, but to be honest that doesn't sound like I pleasant dining experience. I think I'd just get mine to go!

Of course, living in Murfreesboro I have tons of memories from when my town was different, and it was a LOT different! But that could be a separate thread all together, and I'm not sure we have any other Boro residents from that far back.
I think I remember the same one. Was it the wooden one, that was part of the fairgrounds?? If so, I use to see it alot as a child. I use to go on fieldtrips to the fairgrounds and petting zoo with my school in the early 80's

Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I do remember more snow from when I was a child (80s), and I remember some much colder weather. One night our overnight low was -14. And I could be wrong, but I could have sworn we used to get at least one good snow per winter (4+ inches) and sometimes a few smaller ones. Now it seems like we're lucky if we get 1" all winter. Although last year we got one decent snow, but even then it was only about 3 inches.

And I don't really remember people freaking out about snow, either. I mainly remember people being kind of excited about it, but since I was just a child I may not have heard what a lot of adults had to say about it. I know us kids liked it!
Your right!!
We did use to get alot snowier winters in TN
I remember as a kid from 76 through the early 90's 94/95 to be precise, we would get atleast 2 or 3 good snows, of over 3 to 4 inches every year.
since then though, the winters have gotten much much milder in the southeast. You could blame it on La nino or w/e ya call that silly weather phenom, or you could also blame it on Gaylord Ent Group, for tearing down Opryland theme park and building a silly shopping mall in it's place. Like we needed another da'am place to go shop. We see now how much god really liked their idea of a shopping mall don't we!! He flooded it along with alot of Nashville. I'm not making light of a bad thing, cause it was sad about the floods n all, but it just goes to show, that Opry mills wasn't saved from the wrath of mother nature or God, when the floods came.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Yes we did! I noticed that while looking at the pictures. It was a norm the winter for us to get a good snow(s) and I don't remember people panicing over it. It wasn't ice storms, or this powdery snow we get now, it was real, good, heavy, wet snow, that stook around for days. When they forcasted snow, it would snow, not like the guessing game they play now. My moms birthday is Jan. 27, she said that she could always gurantee snow on that day, until the last 10 years or so. It is so funny when out of towners new to the area say it doesn't snow in Nashville, or get freaked out over the threat of snow, Im always like, well it used to snow all the time, have pics to prove. After last years snows, and 2 cold winters in a row, 09 and 10, maybe we are getting back into a cold, snowier winter pattern, after 15 years.
Does anyone remember the blizzard of 93? I remember living in Antioch we had anywhere from 8-12 inches of snow, with 2 to 3 ft drifts with a high temp of like 0 on one of the days, the snow was around for at least 2 weeks. If I recall correctly this was an early March snow. Areas in Nashville north and west only had like an inch of snow while areas south and east, particually Murfreesboro, had up to a foot of snow with hudge snow drifts.
I went to school in Donalson in 93 I was at TSB Tennessee School for the blind. Unfortunately i wasn't there during the storm of 93, cause I was back at home in Chattanooga for break. Not sure exactly why we were out but we were. Anyway", we got like 3 and 4 feet here in Chattanooga and drifts as high as 8-10 feet in the higher terrain Mountains around Chattanooga. It was insane I miss those days alot.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I dont remember the snack bar, but I do rememer one of the department stores having Kristy Cookies. I remember HH having 2 sit down resturants, one was Morrison Cafeteria and Ruby Tuesdays, that closed in the early 2000's.
BTW, went to the town hall meeting about Hickory Hollow mall, lots of great plans for it, so hopefully it will come back to life how it used to be, wish everything else in the city could also.
Meeee too
I wasn't a full time Middle TN resident, but I very much remember how things use to be there. I use to attend school there in the early to mid 90's and even at 1 point in the early 80's. We have relatives that live in west Nashville near old charlotte pike and we still visit quite a bit.
I really hope HH mall can come back to a good degree of it's glory days.
It was an awesome place to visit back then in the 90's I think I may have even went out to HH once or twice in 83, but I was only about 5 or 6 then, so I don't really remember much about what I did or might have seen.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Default Dinosaur Park

Does anyone remember the Dinosaur park that use to be in the nashville area?? I don't even know if it's still there or not, but I use to go there with our kindergarten teacher back in the early 80's
Fun Times

Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Donalson Skating rink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
I remember going skating at Hickory Hollow! I may have been to the Donelson Skate Center, was it near where Lebanon Rd and Donelson Pk intersection? Never went ice skating until Centennial Plex opned. My family also moved from Donelson to Antioch when I was 9. I was in Donelson a few weeks ago when I was in town visiting, that area has really grown. My family lived in the Reelfoot Subdivision, I remember the only store that was near our house was the Bread Box and maybe the Cracker Barrel and one hotel was at the Stewarts Ferry exit, now that area appears to be very congested and built up. I kind of preferred Antioch over Donelson, to me it just had that more homelike feeling to it.
It was near the Donalson YMCA Not far down Lebanon pike from there
I use to remeber a Gondoliers Pizza near there too, but that was in the early 80's as far as the pizza place. Seems I remember that the skating rink was there as of 95. Thats the last time I was in that area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville