Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 10:11 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Do fires ants count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 11:48 AM

385 posts, read 205,395 times
None. All are necessary in various capacities.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:24 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Not that I am in a hurry to die, but I will say humans. The earth and all other species would be better off without us.
Agree.

If wars don't write us off, what we are doing to the planet has us on the road to extinction.

“I'd like to share a revelation that I´ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realized that you’re not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You’re a plague and we… are the cure.” (Agent Smith - The Matrix)

Old 07-17-2023, 12:28 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
None of them. It looks like us humans have a limited time left before we kill the planet of life as we know it.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:30 PM

23,255 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Agree.

If wars don't write us off, what we are doing to the planet has us on the road to extinction.
Unfortunately, regardless how we kill ourselves off, the planet gets to go along for the aftermath ride . It won't get out unscathed.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:25 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
I've always wondered what role ticks play in the ecosystem.

Mosquitoes

Roaches

Fleas

A few less house sparrows wouldn't be bad either - they kill things like bluebirds! (they are not protected in the US)

Old 07-17-2023, 01:26 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Agree.

“I'd like to share a revelation that I´ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realized that you’re not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? ” (Agent Smith - The Matrix)

Many of them, actually. We aren't unique in fouling our habitat, just without equal in our ability to do so.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:53 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
They might not count as animals, but why The Creator designed fleas and mosquitoes to leave nasty itchy welts is beyond my understanding!

Although I do know that biting insects serve a purpose, I truly do HATE them.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
They might not count as animals, but why The Creator designed fleas and mosquitoes to leave nasty itchy welts is beyond my understanding!
Of course they're "animals". They're autonomous, independently mobile beings aren't they? As for what the Creator endowed them with, it doesn't include the ability to create itchy welts. That's a histamine reaction to bug saliva. The being they bit is responsible for it.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've always wondered what role ticks play in the ecosystem.

Mosquitoes

Roaches

Fleas

A few less house sparrows wouldn't be bad either - they kill things like bluebirds! (they are not protected in the US)
Ticks can provide a nutritious meal for reptiles and birds...possibly a more nutritious one than that offered by other similarly-sized insects because of what they feed on: blood. Some would consider blood a very complete nutritious meal and it's already been metabolized! You are what you eat. Something that eats you also eats what you do. There are a number of birds that target ticks, lice, and other ectoparasites as they ride around on their larger hosts. Even tiny biting bugs provide a meal for something.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-17-2023 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature