Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 04:03 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,970,303 times

Advertisements

(I figured this is the best section to start this thread.)

I'm seeing about more human deaths caused by alligators & bears. If it was up to you, which animals would be totally extinct? Now I like animals as much as the next person, but the ones who can always easily kill humans are another story & I wouldn't careif they were gone from this earth. & notice that they'll quickly kill an animal if it's killed a person. It's like an animal's life is more valued than a human's because we'd face consequences by law for harming/killing animals. If it were up to me, there would be no more of these animals on earth:

alligators
crocodiles
highly venemous snakes
highly venemous spiders

Now I won't say sharks because their home is the ocean & people don't really have to surf, etc., but of course you can't tell certain people that. But, it's personally fine w/ me to add sharks on the list too.

Now I know, technically people will say many things against it such as:

- the reason bears, cougrs, & maybe some alligators come into residential areas is because we're doing construction & their habitat is dwindling.

- well not all humans are more valuable than animals. What about all the prisoners who are murderers, rapists, etc. who contribute nothing to society?

- how scientists may be doing research on certain animals that may one day cure diseases/save us

Well, I'm not going to think about that. Certain animals just do no good. They just cause turmoil. & a human life should be more valuable than any animal's.

This is just meant to be interesting discussion, not to argue w/ anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 05:00 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
None. Being an inconvenience or a threat to humans doesn't seem to be a great criteria to apply in terms of extinction. Why should any animal cease to exist simply because they aren't beneficial to humans? I don't happen to believe humans are superior little gods that get to dictate what creatures are permitted to survive. What I might want shouldn't take precedence for the planet. If you believe in evolutional theory, it would seem to make better sense to consider that every creature that ever came to be had/has a purpose...humans may not be astute enough to see it. As they say, "a weed is a plant whose purpose hasn't been discovered yet."

Old 07-16-2023, 05:08 PM

8,486 posts, read 4,733,015 times
Oh man, tossing aside the roles that every animal plays in their ecosystems…

…spiders and insects. Please go away. Things like flies and mosquitoes are so annoying, roaches are gross, and let’s not forget things that sting.

Rats. Disease carrying pros!

And really, that’s about it. I’m fine with everything else, even the stuff which wants to Jill me given the right circumstances (gators, bears, sharks, etc.)

Old 07-16-2023, 06:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

.... If it was up to you, which animals would be totally extinct? ....
None. Nothing. Nada. Not even one single species, not even bedbugs and I detest those things. I suspect that everybody detests them.

I believe that all living organisms on earth are here for a reason, all have specific roles to play and specific purposes to fulfill to help maintain a stable balance of all life on the planet, so they all need to be here.

With regard to big dangerous predatory or venomous animals, they all have a purpose too just like everything else.

Humans have made the claim to be the most intelligent and most important animals on the planet. If humans are as superior over all other living things as humans think they are then their superior intelligence should be more than superior enough for humans to learn how to avoid the animals that they're afraid of or that inconvenience them.

Probably 99% of people who get injured or killed by animals were carelessly intruding and not paying attention to their own safety in the environments of the animals that hurt them.

Humans kill far more animals every day than the number of humans that animals can kill in 100 years. It's almost as if humans are trying to cause the extinction of other living things. Humans are the intruders and the enemies of all other living things and I'm pretty sure that if animals have any thoughts about humans it's that they wish humans would go extinct.

I wouldn't want to see humans go extinct either in spite of the fact that humans can be really stupid and self-centered but I sure wish there wasn't so many of them over-running the planet. There are way too many humans taking up other things' living space.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:18 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Quote:
How would you balance the ecosystem when you get rid of the animals that inconvenience you?

I have a suggestion. Get to know these creatures that scare and inconvenience you. Spend time observing them in person. What we can learn online and from books is helpful, but knowing the animal is entirely different. Learn their habits. Learn about nature firsthand. Spend time gaining personal experience (SAFELY, ask for help from experienced, knowledgeable people). Respect grows with knowledge.

Old 07-17-2023, 12:39 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
This is a difficult question as every animal plays a role in the perpetuation of the ecosystem. Without consideration of any potential side effects, however, I'd probably choose rats or mice.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:00 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Why in the world would you want to eliminate an animal species?
The only animal I could even imagine ridding the planet of is a mosquito. And I'm probably wrong about that one too, as some scientist will end up finding a meaningful purpose for it.
Alligators and crocs? These are top predators that we need. Here in Florida, we have a terrible invasive species in the python. One of the only animals here that stands a chance of taking one down is an alligator.
Why would you want to get rid of an animal you will most likely never encounter a day in your life?
Spiders? They are also good predators, we need them. And you will most likely never encounter one in your life. At least the "highly venomous" ones you're willing to bump off the food chain?
As jackmichigan said...
And as MaineWriter mentioned, maybe get to know your planet and her inhabitants a little better.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:15 AM

6,861 posts, read 4,856,991 times
Not that I am in a hurry to die, but I will say humans. The earth and all other species would be better off without us.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:47 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:

I'm seeing about more human deaths caused by alligators & bears. If it was up to you, which animals would be totally extinct? Now I like animals as much as the next person, but the ones who can always easily kill humans are another story & I wouldn't careif they were gone from this earth. & notice that they'll quickly kill an animal if it's killed a person. It's like an animal's life is more valued than a human's because we'd face consequences by law for harming/killing animals. If it were up to me, there would be no more of these animals on earth:

alligators
crocodiles
highly venemous snakes
highly venemous spiders

Now I won't say sharks because their home is the ocean & people don't really have to surf, etc., but of course you can't tell certain people that. But, it's personally fine w/ me to add sharks on the list too.

Now I know, technically people will say many things against it such as:

- the reason bears, cougrs, & maybe some alligators come into residential areas is because we're doing construction & their habitat is dwindling.

- well not all humans are more valuable than animals. What about all the prisoners who are murderers, rapists, etc. who contribute nothing to society?

- how scientists may be doing research on certain animals that may one day cure diseases/save us

Well, I'm not going to think about that. Certain animals just do no good. They just cause turmoil. & a human life should be more valuable than any animal's.

This is just meant to be interesting discussion, not to argue w/ anyone.
I think you will find most of the deaths from the large reptiles are due to human stupidity.

So no, all animals & creatures have a place in the eco system.

Although I wouldn't mind if cockroaches disappeared

Old 07-17-2023, 10:09 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Not that I am in a hurry to die, but I will say humans. The earth and all other species would be better off without us.
Ding! Ding! Ding! And we have a Winner!

We are the most invasive, selfish creature that has ever walked on this earth. We have even been described as a virus.

Until we learn to be more accepting, we will continuously destroy our rainforests, our oceans, and our companions (the animal kingdom) of which we belong.

I'm not saying the human race should not exist. What I am saying, is we should be more responsible. And held accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature