Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 04:23 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,566,328 times

Advertisements

In the forest, close to a mountain. I don't want to live on a mountain or the coast, but I'm grateful to be between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 04:28 PM

3,316 posts, read 9,199,339 times
While the ocean sounds are hypnotic. I have and always will prefer the mountains. The mountains fill my soul cup with peace.

Old 04-14-2024, 05:16 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,028,786 times
Default it depends

What kind of beach?

If it's a flat, sandy, sunny one (the kind the predominates in L.A. & Florida)

-- I find that boring, so give me the mountains.

If it's a beach with tide pools, big offshore rocks, dramatic waves, etc.
(a southern-Oregon type of beach), then I'll check the "ocean" box.

Old 04-14-2024, 05:53 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,571,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha atkinson View Post
i have always loved the ocean, since i was a child. I also love the mountains, but climbing isn't for me.*
both!!!!!

Old 04-15-2024, 05:39 AM

3,316 posts, read 9,199,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
What kind of beach?

If it's a flat, sandy, sunny one (the kind the predominates in L.A. & Florida)

-- I find that boring, so give me the mountains.

If it's a beach with tide pools, big offshore rocks, dramatic waves, etc.
(a southern-Oregon type of beach), then I'll check the "ocean" box.
Northeastern coast would work as well. Like Maine.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:41 AM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
Since people have been expressing views of their personal natural environment in general, I will chime in and say that I love living in the woods. We are less than a half-mile from waterfront property (the bay of Green Bay), so we can walk to the water whenever we like -- but I actually find the view of the water, even if there are whitecaps and surf, to be quite boring after about ten minutes, and when the bay is frozen, it is just gray and flat and actually depressing to me. However, living in the woods there is always something to see with all the wildlife here (mainly deer, wild turkeys and squirrels); and we also have western view in our great room that contains many large windows, so from November through April when the trees are bare, we can see some spectacular sunsets -- so even if we could have afforded a million-dollar-per-acre waterfront lot, we would still have chosen our wooded lot.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:51 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,848,209 times
The ocean is mostly a water desert. It's the shoreline and the interaction with land that makes lakes, rivers, seas, sounds, gulfs and oceans beautiful.

If you are Intune with nature you realize it's both water and land together, makes for a fertile place to live. Very little lives on the tops of mountains and the same can be said for the vastness of oceans. It's where the interact ... that's where the beauty lies.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:29 AM

1,992 posts, read 956,540 times
We love vacationing at the ocean, but we rarely actually go to the beach. We are pool peaople. Neither of our parents cared for messy sand issues, so we just never grew up on the beach.

When we retire, we are looking at Tennessee for the proximity of mountains, lakes, and golf courses (Crossville area), plus it's not a long drive for our kids. We loved Fairfield Bay AR this week for the eclipse, with very cheap housing, but it's too far away for our kids (a flight to Little Rock with 5 kids is not doable).

Old 04-16-2024, 05:58 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Northeastern coast would work as well. Like Maine.
This is where I live - between Katahdin and smaller mountains and the rugged coast. Jasper Beach is cobblestone, Roque Bluffs is sandy, and others are a combination.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:07 AM

3,286 posts, read 1,766,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
In the forest, close to a mountain. I don't want to live on a mountain or the coast, but I'm grateful to be between them.
Fellow forest dweller here! So much better than either !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature