Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
"not to mention i was on the PA side of the bridge when the ticket was issued and it was a ticket from a city in NJ."

IANALAIDPOOTV (I am not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV)

Maybe just maybe since you where not in the jurisdiction of the state or city who wrote you a ticket, maybe you can get that one knocked off. Honestly it should be that way but everyday is filled with unethical injustices especially in NJ.
There's a few cases about this exact thing, most notably State vs. Garcia, which was slightly different since it was on a non-DRPA bridge, but they heavily site the procedures created by the DRPA.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs...jsuper_108.pdf

What it basically comes down to is this:

DRPA officers are chartered to operate on DRPA property in both states. They issue tickets based upon the municipality where the offense occurs. When an offense occurs on the bridge, both NJ and PA have authorized the officer to issue the ticket based on the municipality of their choosing which is based on the towns the bridge runs between. Once the officer issues the ticket to a municipality that town will have gained jurisdiction over the offense and this cannot be questioned. As a matter of process, DRPA officers tend to issue tickets on the bridge based on where the driver lives. If you are from NJ, you get a ticket from NJ. If you are from PA, you get a ticket from PA. If you are from neither state, they base it on where you were on the bridge when they stopped you. All are perfectly legal based on the agreements between NJ and PA that govern the DRPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
An article in today's Star-Ledger reminded me of just how ridiculous the OP's plan--of claiming that someone else was driving his car--really is.

The article was about Jayson Williams, the former NBA star who eventually served some prison time in NJ for the shotgun killing of a limo driver in the Williams home.
During the period between the first and second trials in connection with that killing, Mr. Williams was found, on the FDR Drive in NYC, sitting in the passenger seat of his wrecked Mercedes SUV. He was intoxicated, and his defense against a charge of DUI was that someone else had been the actual driver of his vehicle, and that he had merely been a passenger in his own car.

Williams was convicted of DUI, and served ~1 year in a correctional facility. If this multi-millionaire's team of attorneys could not get an acquittal, based on his "someone else was driving my car" defense, I think it is pretty clear that this type of defense will not work for the OP and his public defender attorney.

It is time for the OP to "man up" and face the consequences for his actions.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
I think they where "pickin" on the bro on Jason. Whoever heard of someone doing a year in jail for a DUI with no injuries or other victims? And they made Jason pay $16,000 to replace the tree???

NYC seems to be quite prejudice when it comes to sports figures messing up.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Get rid of the tolls. Then you'll avoid all of these headaches. Although the OP really needs to quit whining. Pay the fines, and do it right from this point forward. If you don't have the money, get a temporary JOB until you get enough to pay. And people: most of the states and cities are broke, they are just LOOKING for stuff like this to bring in some revenue.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 461 times
Hi there I know this thread is a bit old but i Came across this looking for the phone number to jury duty payment info since i Just served on jury duty and a post on this thread caught my attention. Docendo discimus I love your comments about the mail and trying to get out of jury duty, but failing to respond to the summons and not answering the questionaire is a crime and will get you a warrant for your arrest no matter what the claim you make, will you be able to get it dropped thats up to the judge, but recently a person in florida overslept because he worked nights and failed to report for jury duty hey got 10 days in jail for missing jury duty but the judge did let him off after proving he was telling the truth, Unfortunately the person did have to still serve. As for a warrant in the mail, I had a ticket in 2008 which required a court appearance And I did lose the ticket because my apartment was fumigated and thrown out by my landlord as it was covered in chemicals and never told me. And because my landlord intercepted my mail i never got the notice I had a warrant, did that excuse me, almost 10 years later and after a number of both 10-27 and 10-29 checks the warrant never showed up. It was after a friend and I got into a fight, and Psychatric Evaluation and Screening Service decided to do a wellness which requires consent of a judge I finally found out for the first time more than 9 years after the warrant was issued, I realized I never paid the ticket and I didn't show up in court for it. The judge did not let me off, and even still they sent the notice to reappear for the hearing to the wrong address, fortunately this time I was better aware to call the court so once again was not an excuse, I should up in court never getting the notice to appear. My charges were also dismissed as I was able to make my case. Even more confusing is even with a warrant my access to ASTAT and NCIC was never suspended, as well as the over 100 10-27 and 10-29 checks I always came back with no warrant. apparently the issuing judge never placed the warrant correctly in ASTAT and in only showed up with PESS decided to do the wellness check which was in my opinion uncalled for and was for the wrong side of the argument, I never drove in the 10 years because i was a broke mofo and due to my situation at the time I couldn't afford a car or insurance so it took more than 10 years before i got back behind the wheel I have been driving now again for over a year and I regret I didn't take care of this sooner. But how was I to know when it wasn't even in the warrant systems. all the times i went to court and they did the 10-27 (name and address check) and 10-29 check (drivers license) though suspended at that time, still never came back with a warrant. The warrant was on JEFIS and only on JEFIS and it was due to the permission that was needed from the Judge for PESS that finally uncovered the warrant. I had plenty of police contact because I am an EMT, and it never came across even when I applied to be an EMT, I was even issued a CCW and My Government Security Clearance was re-instated while having a warrant, all of which should have never of happened if this was done added properly to the warrant systems.

I had gotten a call this morning saying I missed jury duty and I wanted to report it to the sheriff as they advise people to, I advised him of what I do and hes like awesome would you like to speak at our meeting even by phone.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:06 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
A heck of a jumpstart to a posting career online here at CD, let me just add that you should check out this link:
https://www.time4writing.com/writing-paragraphs/

Old 10-21-2019, 01:22 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_atkisson View Post
a couple weeks ago i was crossing the walt whitman bridge and realized i didnt have 5 dollars for the toll. the attendant told me to pull over to the right and wait for an officer, usually when they do this, at least in my experience they officer comes up after several minutes of waiting asks you why you dont have the money and then tells you to leave. this time however he asked me then put his car in reverse and ran my plates. this first of all pisses me off because it was just me in the car, a 20 year old male, whenever our vehicle has been let go its been a girl driving or a girl was in the car so gender cards are played here. reguardless he ran my plate and told me my license was suspended, this was news to me. he gave me a ticket for driving while suspended and let me go.

now im faced with going to court and paying a ticket that i really cant offord and possibly a license suspension which will kill me even more. so im wondering, since i was not driving when he ran my tags and infact i turned the car off before he even arrived since i was on low fuel, do you think that i can get the ticket dropped? he really has no proof that i was driving accept the fact that it was only me in the car. he never asked if i was driving and my friend that was there "hypothetically" could have very well left and walked off after the half hour i was waiting for the officer to arrive. does anyone have any input? could i maybe get out of this since i wasnt pulled over i was just waiting on the side of the road? and since the car was not running when he got there. not to mention i was on the PA side of the bridge when the ticket was issued and it was a ticket from a city in NJ.

also two days later i was in a legitamate emergency when i was pulled over again from an officer running my tags, i still didnt know why my license was suspended becasue for some reason it wouldnt tell the first officer, this time i asked if i had done anythign wrong, he said no he just ran my plate and it came back suspended. go figure luck would strike me this way, anyway THIS officer told me it was from not paying a surcharge, which at this point i had figured but still wasnt sure. he issued me two tickets, one for driving while suspended and another for unlicensed driver. two in the same if you ask me. (jackass) now this one i was caught in the act but it was an emergency why i was driving and not only that but nobody was home to get the mail for about a week and so i hadnt known that it was suspended for sure. do i have any chance?

If you did a lot of dumb stuff while driving, which is why you are suspended, then of course, I'd be laughing at you for driving on a suspended license. I hope you look good in your DMV photo, because I want see your DMV photo on NJ.com for whatever scandal you perpetrate on our roads (copying Doscendo Discimus' funny comment from one of my old thread).

I know I am about to sound off topic, but I do agree with your first paragraph. They always target males especially young males. I am a 21 year old Indian dude who went to court for a 15 over the limit speeding ticket and everyone there was a young adult minority with brown skin except for this one white female who got a DUI.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Well, this was 7 years ago, I'm sure they're much more mature now.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:31 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Well, this was 7 years ago, I'm sure they're much more mature now.
Hopefully he’s not still typing “reguardless”

Old 10-22-2019, 02:44 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Not sure why the guy didn't just drive through the EZ Pass lane without money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: