Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,839 times

Advertisements

a couple weeks ago i was crossing the walt whitman bridge and realized i didnt have 5 dollars for the toll. the attendant told me to pull over to the right and wait for an officer, usually when they do this, at least in my experience they officer comes up after several minutes of waiting asks you why you dont have the money and then tells you to leave. this time however he asked me then put his car in reverse and ran my plates. this first of all pisses me off because it was just me in the car, a 20 year old male, whenever our vehicle has been let go its been a girl driving or a girl was in the car so gender cards are played here. reguardless he ran my plate and told me my license was suspended, this was news to me. he gave me a ticket for driving while suspended and let me go.

now im faced with going to court and paying a ticket that i really cant offord and possibly a license suspension which will kill me even more. so im wondering, since i was not driving when he ran my tags and infact i turned the car off before he even arrived since i was on low fuel, do you think that i can get the ticket dropped? he really has no proof that i was driving accept the fact that it was only me in the car. he never asked if i was driving and my friend that was there "hypothetically" could have very well left and walked off after the half hour i was waiting for the officer to arrive. does anyone have any input? could i maybe get out of this since i wasnt pulled over i was just waiting on the side of the road? and since the car was not running when he got there. not to mention i was on the PA side of the bridge when the ticket was issued and it was a ticket from a city in NJ.

also two days later i was in a legitamate emergency when i was pulled over again from an officer running my tags, i still didnt know why my license was suspended becasue for some reason it wouldnt tell the first officer, this time i asked if i had done anythign wrong, he said no he just ran my plate and it came back suspended. go figure luck would strike me this way, anyway THIS officer told me it was from not paying a surcharge, which at this point i had figured but still wasnt sure. he issued me two tickets, one for driving while suspended and another for unlicensed driver. two in the same if you ask me. (jackass) now this one i was caught in the act but it was an emergency why i was driving and not only that but nobody was home to get the mail for about a week and so i hadnt known that it was suspended for sure. do i have any chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 PM

88,930 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_atkisson View Post
a couple weeks ago i was crossing the walt whitman bridge and realized i didnt have 5 dollars for the toll. the attendant told me to pull over to the right and wait for an officer, usually when they do this, at least in my experience they officer comes up after several minutes of waiting asks you why you dont have the money and then tells you to leave. this time however he asked me then put his car in reverse and ran my plates. this first of all pisses me off because it was just me in the car, a 20 year old male, whenever our vehicle has been let go its been a girl driving or a girl was in the car so gender cards are played here. reguardless he ran my plate and told me my license was suspended, this was news to me. he gave me a ticket for driving while suspended and let me go.

now im faced with going to court and paying a ticket that i really cant offord and possibly a license suspension which will kill me even more. so im wondering, since i was not driving when he ran my tags and infact i turned the car off before he even arrived since i was on low fuel, do you think that i can get the ticket dropped? he really has no proof that i was driving accept the fact that it was only me in the car. he never asked if i was driving and my friend that was there "hypothetically" could have very well left and walked off after the half hour i was waiting for the officer to arrive. does anyone have any input? could i maybe get out of this since i wasnt pulled over i was just waiting on the side of the road? and since the car was not running when he got there. not to mention i was on the PA side of the bridge when the ticket was issued and it was a ticket from a city in NJ.

also two days later i was in a legitamate emergency when i was pulled over again from an officer running my tags, i still didnt know why my license was suspended becasue for some reason it wouldnt tell the first officer, this time i asked if i had done anythign wrong, he said no he just ran my plate and it came back suspended. go figure luck would strike me this way, anyway THIS officer told me it was from not paying a surcharge, which at this point i had figured but still wasnt sure. he issued me two tickets, one for driving while suspended and another for unlicensed driver. two in the same if you ask me. (jackass) now this one i was caught in the act but it was an emergency why i was driving and not only that but nobody was home to get the mail for about a week and so i hadnt known that it was suspended for sure. do i have any chance?
I say plead not guilty to the first ticket. Go to court and tell them that the cop issued you the ticket but that you were parked, he didn't pull you over, and never actually saw you driving. The judge will probably throw it out.

My ex was on a suspended license (and knew it) and he took a chance and drove a truck he wanted to work on from his friend's house to the parking lot of his friend's bar. On the way the truck broke down and he put the hood up and was working on it when a cop came by to see what was up. Cop ran the plates, saw that my ex's license was suspended and gave him a ticket. He walked to the bar and got someone to take him back and drive the truck, then while he was complaining over his beer, the bartender said, "How could he give you a ticket for driving on a suspension when you weren't even driving the truck?"

Ex went to court, pleaded not guilty, told the judge that his friend had been driving and went ahead to go get help. The judge didn't really believe that lame story, lol, but the judge turned to the cop and said, "Did you see him driving?" The cop had to admit that he didn't. Judge threw it out.

And the cop mumbled to my ex as he walked out of the courtroom that he'd better be careful because he'd be looking for him.

Plead not guilty. Tell whatever story you want, but the cop can't give you a ticket for driving while suspended when he didn't see you driving.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM

3,522 posts, read 7,810,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_atkisson View Post
... regardless he ran my plate and told me my license was suspended, this was news to me. he gave me a ticket for driving while suspended and let me go.
Actually this pisses me off too. Why the hell are you allowed to drive away with a suspended license. He should have had your car towed right than and there in my opinion.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM

572 posts, read 2,027,215 times
I agree. Twice none the less. You deserve all 18 points you are going to get. Good luck finding and/or affording insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Actually this pisses me off too. Why the hell are you allowed to drive away with a suspended license. He should have had your car towed right than and there in my opinion.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,047,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Not to mention he admits trying to cross the bridge before without paying the toll.

I'm all for giving a kid a break, but you are looking for multiple breaks.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM

hey thanks alot. i definately will fight the first one and actually on both occasions i was left to drive away with the statements "im leaving i let them know you were making your own plans for having the car moved, once im gone im gone if you know what i mean."

why are you people so rude? i wouldnt wish bad luck on any of you whether i was in this situation or not. i was a wreckless driver when younger and i admit it was stupid, ive been trying my best to be a safer more concious driver and to keep my record clean. its suspended for not paying 30$ on a surcharge that i had lost track of not for hurting anybody. plus ive been laid off and looking for a job for a while now and have no money litterally, or if i did i would have paid the surcharge and made sure i was driving legally in the first place, ive taken safe driver courses and done everything i can to make my record clean, i truly hope nothing like this ever happens to any of you, you people are truly nasty. how do i DESERVE these points? why dont you put yourself in someone eleses shoes for a change. i dont ask to be young and stupid. i dont ask to have terrible luck (not with these tickets but in general) i dont ask for tragedy to strike my family. im trying to get my life on track. its probably hard for you to see where im coming from because both of you and anyone else that would make comments like that has probably either been in the situation before and didnt get the opportunity to drive away and you pissed, or you just have your stuff together and feel real high and mighty about yourselves. you know what would be real respectable? if you do have all your life in order and are too organized to have mistakes like these happen to you, then maybe you could lend a hand to somebody thats in a strugle and is trying to make the right decissions. that would be the mature and right thing to do. instead i get opinions and smart remarks from people when i ask for help and guidence.

thank you mightyqueen801 for your respectable response and information.
to the others thanks for being whats wrong with the world. heres my number, if your ever in trouble or need help dont be affraid to call ill try my best to help. i dont take your responses personal, i see them more as a response from a negative person. 609-321-1085

Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,260,098 times
In my non expert opinion you are screwed. I see public transportation in your future.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM

and no matt it wasnt me that tried crossing the bridge without paying the toll, i was simply a passenger in the car. had it been me i wouldnt have gone. funny you should bring that up anyway. i wouldnt have even been in the situation had someone not stolen my money that i DID have. i tried doing something nice for somebody and picked people in need of a ride up because they had been drinking and they took my money without me knowing. i try to commit good deeds i put in tons of unneccessary community service and consider myself to be a good member of society. as for someone else crossing a bridge without paying, thats on them. but me i try to make people happy however i can, im not a mooch and i dont try to press my luck (anymore)

Old 03-15-2012, 01:30 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,779,308 times
let me get this straight:

1) this isn't the first time you've crossed without paying, and you're upset that now you may actually have to pay because you're a guy

2) you're pissed because you got a ticket for having a suspended license and driving on said suspended license that you didn't know about. and you want to LIE about your circumstances (hypothetical friend) to get out of it.

3) knowing you had a suspended license, you didn't do the due diligence to find out WHY your license was suspended, but you again drove.

4) now, getting pulled over again and getting 2 tickets and the COP (whom I'm sure knows you got pulled over and ticketed 2 weeks ago) is the jackass?

Lord, please let me raise my children to have more of a sense of responsibility. <prayer icon>

eta - i was typing this post when tom's replies came in. i was your age and had more responsibility in my pinky. i can certainly lend a hand and give advice...and that advice is...PAY YOUR BILLS.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM

4,073 posts, read 9,012,182 times
Time to take RESPONSIBILITY for your actions and your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: