Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM

276 posts, read 330,650 times

Advertisements

I noticed that some traffic lights have a white visible camera on the aluminum arm - are those cameras for the purpose of traffic cameras, or to give out tickets for red light or other type of violation? I noticed that many people do not make an illegal turn on red or passes on yellow when they see a camera above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:15 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
sometimes, cameras are used to detect when a car is there to trigger a signal change cycle.

red light cameras all just went dark in NJ for now. so, they don't exist anymore and everyone can get back to gleefully running red lights.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
I noticed that some traffic lights have a white visible camera on the aluminum arm - are those cameras for the purpose of traffic cameras, or to give out tickets for red light or other type of violation? I noticed that many people do not make an illegal turn on red or passes on yellow when they see a camera above
those cameras are used to track the location of every vehicle that drives through the light. the lie that is told by government is that they are used to adjust the light patterns based on the traffic.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM

276 posts, read 330,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
sometimes, cameras are used to detect when a car is there to trigger a signal change cycle.

red light cameras all just went dark in NJ for now. so, they don't exist anymore and everyone can get back to gleefully running red lights.
Isn't that suppose to be underground? I know in Europe there are underground detectors. Appearantly everything is overhead in America, everything from powerlines, to firehydrants, to now traffic light chance cycles

Old 12-30-2014, 03:30 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Isn't that suppose to be underground? I know in Europe there are underground detectors. Appearantly everything is overhead in America, everything from powerlines, to firehydrants, to now traffic light chance cycles
The problem with detectors placed in the pavement is that they are subject to damage and they don't work very well when the road is snow-covered.

In any event, I am really interested in seeing those overhead fire hydrants, as they don't exist in my area.
Do you have any photos of them?

Old 12-30-2014, 04:36 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
those cameras are used to track the location of every vehicle that drives through the light. the lie that is told by government is that they are used to adjust the light patterns based on the traffic.
Tells us about Chemtrails.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
I'm not exactly sure those are cameras or infrared detectors. Going to have to do some further research.

Usually the mechanism that detected when cars are waiting for a light to change is a loop of wire in the ground. An inductive loop, it feels like "humming at a certain tone. When another object is on top of it it senses the change in inductance and hums at a different tone because of that inductance change.

As someone mentioned these might not work if there's snow on the ground. I know someone patented the principle of tracking cellphones anonymously to see how fast traffic moves. Somehow google maps and others can pinpoint traffic jams on their maps and display yellow and red colors where there are delays and fairly quickly too.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 PM

39 posts, read 51,507 times
The smallish looking things you see on most traffic lights are actually traffic sensors, they record no image at all. Traffic cameras are much larger and accompanied by a sign that says "Photo Enforced Traffic Light". However NJ is ending its photo enforced ticket program in 2 days.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:27 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalghanim View Post
The smallish looking things you see on most traffic lights are actually traffic sensors, they record no image at all. Traffic cameras are much larger and accompanied by a sign that says "Photo Enforced Traffic Light". However NJ is ending its photo enforced ticket program in 2 days.
The program actually ended on Dec 16th.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:48 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
They control the timing of the traffic light.

They're a VAST improvement on in-ground detectors. Low cost of upkeep, low cost of installation. Installing those grids in the road is expensive, they're easily damaged, they make repaving more expensive, etc.

In addition, the grids are "dumb", they can only tell what's right on top of them. The camera can see vehicles approaching the intersection before they get there, can see how long the backup is, and so on. Also, unlike the in-road detectors, they can reliably trigger for motorcycles and bicyclists.

They aren't recording video, and they wouldn't be in the right positioning for giving out tickets anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: