Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 PM

7 posts, read 12,505 times

Advertisements

OP - I know you're looking for suggestions on schools and I don't really have anything to contribute on that front but I would like to ask - Is moving to a town with a better school district an option?
I understand your preference of keeping the commute to under an hour but would you consider moving to a place like Edison where the schools are pretty good and the town itself has a large Indian community too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 07:38 AM

522 posts, read 993,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel83 View Post
We are a cosmopolitan family and respect people of all faiths (unlike a lot other Indians).

So a lot of Indians don't respect other faiths? What exactly do you mean by that? Would like to know that.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,205 times
My children attend Catholic School in Essex County. Although the school is in a suburb, the student body comes from various communities and is very diverse. There are many nationalities, races and religions represented and I am happy that my children get his exposure. Of course, religious education is important at the school but they are welcoming of all religions and I think that the main theme of religious education (basically "Love one another") is important no matter what religion.
My kids also get a very good education and the school was named a "Blue Ribbon" School by the Department of Education. I do not know of any Catholic schools in the JC area but I did notice that OLC is also a designated Blue Ribbon school.

Best of luck with your move and your decision!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM

229 posts, read 251,444 times
I went to Catholic schools from 1st grade through College. I wasn't Catholic when I enrolled (but my mom eventually converted me because Catholics got a tuition discount!). Your child will be fine. There were plenty of non Catholics in my schools. We even had Jewish classmates. They won't care that your child is not Catholic or is Indian. As long as your tuition checks clear, you'll be more than welcome. You'll have to check with each school about their admissions and enrollment policies. But I'd have to think as long they have a spot open, they won't turn away your tuition money.

The only downside for a family in your position is that these schools will include some mandatory Catholic religious instruction, which you may or may not object to. Keep in mind there are also usually uniforms, as others have mentioned. One reason they do this is to make every kid the same - no one has different appearance/better clothes than another. They are also not as coddling as a public schools might be when it comes to discipline. If your kid acts up, those nuns don't play!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,267,151 times
My experience is similar to what Craig-D said.

When my kids were younger they were in a Catholic school & they had classmates who were Jewish & non-Catholic Indian. Not many, maybe 5 total? But the parents could opt their kids out of the religion class. The class was basically to get the Catholic kids prepared for their first communion or confirmation. Even though those who did take the religion class received a grade for it - they had quizzes, tests, the whole nine yards.

Everyone was expected, however, to attend the weekly "all-school" mass which took place during the school day or a special occasion mass.

Every diocese is a little different, so you will definitely want to check ahead of time to see what the school requires from it's non-Catholic/Christian students.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:20 PM

28 posts, read 77,965 times
As someone who went to 13 years of Catholic school in Jersey City, I can assure you that Indians have been attending Catholic schools in Jersey City since at least the 1970s. Your children will be in good company.

There will be no attempts at proselytizing beyond memorization of Catholic prayers and some fun songs. Memorization is good for children of all faiths.

And my Catholic school religion classes included a good dose of the study of judaism, as well as some study of hinduism, buddhism, islam and of course Protestantism.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:36 PM

19 posts, read 24,077 times
Thanks for all your responses!

I really dont mind my daughter learning catholic prayers and as JCheightsguy said it is good for memorization. She can recite the entire morning prayer of her current catholic school here in India too. And as I mentioned earlier too we are not very stringent with faith specially when it comes to our child learning good values of another religion.

I am also not very concerned about UNIFORMS in school. In India every school has uniforms! And I look at it in a positive way (like Craig-D) to spread uniformity in attire for all children in a school. No child is given an opportunity to compare his/her dress being better and of higher quality than the rest. And it is a very important thing to enforce to bring in equality and uniformity in an educational institution.

Regarding religious education as in proper classes with tests and grades given to students as per their performance in religious subjects, well if it like an extracurricular then am cool. But if they are tough and take up considerable amout of study time for my child I need to check it with schools. But I havent seem to notice such stringent rules in any of the top schools of JC (correct me if I am wrong). As as Informed Info wrote, I will check with each school if we have an option to opt out of these classes. I dont mind the Mass & visiting to church etc as the schools here also have these and the kids love it whether or not Catholic.

pokemon-go - Thanks for your suggestion! Two reasons why I dont want to move to Indian centric places like Edison are-
1) The travel becomes much longer to Manhattan/Weehawken. Most of the schools cover you with Before & After School from max 7am till 6pm and with both parent working we cannot afford to have travel time more than an hour from home to work. We also have to keep some buffer for disruptions in transport due to inclement weather also right! If the travel wasnt as issue there are so many towns with stellar schools like Chatham, Summit etc with amazing schools! But that wont work for us.
2) Nothing against my Indian community, but we as a family believe and apprciate diversity and we would love to live and raise our child in a diverse community/place. In places like Edison, all my daughter will mix is with Indians. Though there is nothing wrong in that but we as a couple want to bring up our child in diverse environment!

Can any of you post which catholic schools you think are best in JC & Hoboken? I see many are writing from their own experience so can you please mention your school's name also please? This will help us reasearch on them online.
Currently we have checked the websites of -

Our Lady Of Czestochowa - A Blue Ribbon school
St.Nicholas School
Primary Prep Elementary School
Hooboken Catholic academy
St. Aloysius Elementary School
St Joseph Catholic school

Anymore schools we need to check? And which one are the top ones in the area?

Thanks in Advance!

Old 09-16-2016, 04:59 AM

One more question!

Can we think of looking at Newark? The top schools there we found out were
St Francis Xavier
Ironbound Catholic Academy

Good reviews in GreatSchools website.

Should we consider? Newark has mixed reviews so I was wondering.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:39 AM

516 posts, read 1,006,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel83 View Post
Thanks for all your responses!

I really dont mind my daughter learning catholic prayers and as JCheightsguy said it is good for memorization. She can recite the entire morning prayer of her current catholic school here in India too. And as I mentioned earlier too we are not very stringent with faith specially when it comes to our child learning good values of another religion.

I am also not very concerned about UNIFORMS in school. In India every school has uniforms! And I look at it in a positive way (like Craig-D) to spread uniformity in attire for all children in a school. No child is given an opportunity to compare his/her dress being better and of higher quality than the rest. And it is a very important thing to enforce to bring in equality and uniformity in an educational institution.

Regarding religious education as in proper classes with tests and grades given to students as per their performance in religious subjects, well if it like an extracurricular then am cool. But if they are tough and take up considerable amout of study time for my child I need to check it with schools. But I havent seem to notice such stringent rules in any of the top schools of JC (correct me if I am wrong). As as Informed Info wrote, I will check with each school if we have an option to opt out of these classes. I dont mind the Mass & visiting to church etc as the schools here also have these and the kids love it whether or not Catholic.

pokemon-go - Thanks for your suggestion! Two reasons why I dont want to move to Indian centric places like Edison are-
1) The travel becomes much longer to Manhattan/Weehawken. Most of the schools cover you with Before & After School from max 7am till 6pm and with both parent working we cannot afford to have travel time more than an hour from home to work. We also have to keep some buffer for disruptions in transport due to inclement weather also right! If the travel wasnt as issue there are so many towns with stellar schools like Chatham, Summit etc with amazing schools! But that wont work for us.
2) Nothing against my Indian community, but we as a family believe and apprciate diversity and we would love to live and raise our child in a diverse community/place. In places like Edison, all my daughter will mix is with Indians. Though there is nothing wrong in that but we as a couple want to bring up our child in diverse environment!

Can any of you post which catholic schools you think are best in JC & Hoboken? I see many are writing from their own experience so can you please mention your school's name also please? This will help us reasearch on them online.
Currently we have checked the websites of -

Our Lady Of Czestochowa - A Blue Ribbon school
St.Nicholas School
Primary Prep Elementary School
Hooboken Catholic academy
St. Aloysius Elementary School
St Joseph Catholic school

Anymore schools we need to check? And which one are the top ones in the area?

Thanks in Advance!
Primary Prep is NOT Catholic. It is just a regular private school.

OLC is the best out of your list, academics wise. If your husband works in Downtown, OLC is a no brainer since he can pop off the PATH or light rail to pick up/drop off.

I don't know where you plan to live, but I believe your daily commute is going to dictate where you send your child. St Joseph and Primary Prep are do-able with 10 minutes walking from the JSQ PATH.

St. Aloysius is going to be a PAIN to get to. I don't think I could send my child there even if it was free tuition and blue ribbon. I don't know any route down to Lincoln Park during rush hours that don't make me want to shoot myself. St Nicholas you prob will have to drive to as well, but it's not as painful, since it's right by 139 and the upper portions at least move. Once the 139 construction complete, it will probably be decent even!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Primary Prep is NOT Catholic. It is just a regular private school.

OLC is the best out of your list, academics wise. If your husband works in Downtown, OLC is a no brainer since he can pop off the PATH or light rail to pick up/drop off.

I don't know where you plan to live, but I believe your daily commute is going to dictate where you send your child. St Joseph and Primary Prep are do-able with 10 minutes walking from the JSQ PATH.

St. Aloysius is going to be a PAIN to get to. I don't think I could send my child there even if it was free tuition and blue ribbon. I don't know any route down to Lincoln Park during rush hours that don't make me want to shoot myself. St Nicholas you prob will have to drive to as well, but it's not as painful, since it's right by 139 and the upper portions at least move. Once the 139 construction complete, it will probably be decent even!
Thanks a lot!

I will definitely update my school list with this info.
You wont believe I am maintaining an excel file wid names of schools, tution, before & after care time and ratings

Really appreciate your inputs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey