Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 06:51 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
It was negotiated with Democrats, Christie got a reduction in Sales tax (after Corzine raised it to 7%) and removal of the Estate Tax.

Murphy certainly won't reduce it as he raised the states budget by 30% and needs all the revenue he can get.

The next Governor needs to start taxing EV's, and needs to approve a new refinery in Elizabeth/Linden. If we want more affordable gas in NJ.

One thing that needs to be investigated is why is it so expensive to build roads in NJ? Its the most expensive state to build roads by a mile (pun intended).
No investigation warranted as the information is right at your fingertips.

- Prevailing wage and other state mandated requirements (bonding, insurance, etc.)
- Overnight roadwork due to the volume of traffic during the day (pricey nighttime labor)
- Engineering/consulting costs
- Change orders

There's undoubtedly waste and state/local officials need to hold contractors, consultants, etc. feet to the fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 08:18 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,014,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
No investigation warranted as the information is right at your fingertips.

- Prevailing wage and other state mandated requirements (bonding, insurance, etc.)
- Overnight roadwork due to the volume of traffic during the day (pricey nighttime labor)
- Engineering/consulting costs
- Change orders

There's undoubtedly waste and state/local officials need to hold contractors, consultants, etc. feet to the fire.
So no different than any other state? Doesnt explain why it costs NJ over $2 million a mile, and south Carolina 39k a mile. One would think NJ roads have been established for much longer than alot of the country and the engineering/planning should be less.

I do have a partial answer to this as I heard stories of someone who owned a mid-size civil engineering firm in the 60s and 70s in NJ and would give political donations to be awarded contracts.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 10-02-2023 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-02-2023, 10:52 PM

88,609 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
So no different than any other state? Doesnt explain why it costs NJ over $2 million a mile, and south Carolina 39k a mile. One would think NJ roads have been established for much longer than alot of the country and the engineering/planning should be less.

I do have a partial answer to this as I heard stories of someone who owned a mid-size civil engineering firm in the 60s and 70s in NJ and would give political donations to be awarded contracts.
That's Pay-to-Play. It's now been revised so that (IIRC) no one can be awarded a P2P contract more than $25,000...but from someone who worked for years in public procurement, it's still just wrong. Jersey allows it. Most places don't.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:58 PM

1,839 posts, read 678,031 times
Quote:
The issue isn't so much about moderate candidate, its about getting someone to energize the Republican base. Chris Christie was able to do that and won in a landslide. However, I believe just got fed up with the BS and media slandering machine, that he just lost interest in his last 2 years of office. I think he is just running for President as a vendetta against Trump, because he supported him in 2016 and 2020 and Trump didn't give him a job.

Murphy wasn't popular when he won the 2017 election (historically low-turnout election and he spent millions of his own money effectively buying the Governorship), and came very close to losing the 2021 election. The Republican who ran against Murphy was Kim Guadagno (Lt. Governor), was so moderate that she couldn't raise money and left the Republican Party. You're not going to energize the Republican base with these middle candidates.

NJ has some great rising stars such as Jack Ciattarelli (likely for Governor in 2025), Jeff Van Drew (Congressman - a convert from Democrat to Republican) who is becoming a political rockstar (i'd nominate him for Senate if I could), and there some other rising politicians in at the state level like Steve Dnistrian. I met Gregg Mele 3 weeks ago who is running for US Senate (R) against Bob Menendez and he seemed like a great guy.
It would be interesting if Jeff Van Drew ran for Senate against Andy Kim or Menendez or the Democrat. But not sure Jeff would want to give up the better security of his House seat for Senate as NJ is still blue state in the end.

I was wondering if Christie would jump in the Senate race.

He wants to have a one on one debate with Trump and he is not getting it. He won’t get a debate with Biden either, and likely won’t win any Republican primary states sticking in the Republican nomination. Trump isn’t attending any of the Republican debates.

By jumping in the NJ Senate race, he bring his loud mouth back home in a smaller field and he is already a known candidate in NJ. Even if one is a Trump MAGA Republican, they would vote him over Kim. Andy Kim would have to basically defend Biden and the Left, where Christie can come in on offense. Of course, Christie has a record in NJ and not all is good, but he can dominate a one on one debate as a loudmouth bully and win votes from North Jersey whites and Hispanics, including some Democratic voters, if the Dem candidate is from South Jersey and too different culturally.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:42 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:

Where is your source for those numbers?

Old 10-03-2023, 12:00 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,014,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where is your source for those numbers?
Just logged in my head but the first article shows it. $2M for NJ, $39k for NJ and that was 7 years ago.

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2016/07/d...3%20per%20mile.

Old 10-03-2023, 12:34 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Quote:
Just logged in my head but the first article shows it. $2M for NJ, $39k for NJ and that was 7 years ago.

That article didn’t clear anything up for me. Just more D and R disagreeing with each other

Old 10-03-2023, 12:54 PM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
That article didn’t clear anything up for me.
This article will bring some clarity, and helps to prove that you know who is pulling numbers out of his rectum again. “The Rutgers study stands in stark contrast to a recent report that grossly over-reported New Jersey’s highway costs at $2 million per mile”

https://bloustein.rutgers.edu/new-st...n-njdot-roads/

Old 10-03-2023, 03:15 PM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:

This Rutgers study says the cost is $183,757, from May 2016.

https://bloustein.rutgers.edu/new-st...n-njdot-roads/

https://www.nj.gov/transportation/ab...16/051916.shtm

Old 10-03-2023, 05:41 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
I was wondering if Christie would jump in the Senate race.

He wants to have a one on one debate with Trump and he is not getting it. He won’t get a debate with Biden either, and likely won’t win any Republican primary states sticking in the Republican nomination. Trump isn’t attending any of the Republican debates.

By jumping in the NJ Senate race, he bring his loud mouth back home in a smaller field and he is already a known candidate in NJ. Even if one is a Trump MAGA Republican, they would vote him over Kim. Andy Kim would have to basically defend Biden and the Left, where Christie can come in on offense. Of course, Christie has a record in NJ and not all is good, but he can dominate a one on one debate as a loudmouth bully and win votes from North Jersey whites and Hispanics, including some Democratic voters, if the Dem candidate is from South Jersey and too different culturally.
Terrific idea to run for senate! I hope he runs. You must be a kind of conspiracy theorist!

I was imagining Murphy would want to run, then I saw his wife's name being floated.

I had high hopes for Christie in the debates, but he was a bit underwhelming. At the national level, you can't completely disagree with the party messiah, and hope to gain R voters. He did a good job in the first one, taking on Vivek Ramaswamy (Chat GPT). If I recall right, CC brought down someone specific in a previous election cycle debate (may be Cruz?). Not sure when and who.

Edit: Seems to be Rubio in the 2016 cycle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkdpzRDxTXU&t=85s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey