Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 02:44 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
When our son was in elementary school in Sussex County (he started in 1995) they got to dress up in Halloween costumes and have a parade.

They loved it.
Mine too but here is the thing. It's adults his age that are bringing and enforcing all these actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 06:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Mine too but here is the thing. It's adults his age that are bringing and enforcing all these actions.

Millennials are not running the schools yet; Baby Boomers and Gen X are the ones ultimately making the decisions. Maybe a few of the oldest Millennials who are now in their 40's are in positions of power, but that is a small slice.

As someone running a school, I think my main concern would actually be students dressing in costumes which would be inappropriate and/or offensive. Maybe this is a way to preempt that. Either that or as a measure to not exclude poor children whose families cannot afford to spend on a costume. SOMA is a mixed district in terms of socioeconomic status. But the principle of banning costumes altogether is stupid. Just do it the way it was always done; allow the kids to dress up, but the offenders will be disciplined.

People who insist Halloween endorses Satanism or whatnot are complete nutjobs.

Old 12-02-2023, 04:10 PM

1,215 posts, read 488,905 times
This whole thing is retting ridiculous everywhere. Canceling things in the name of diversity and inclusion. Doesn't actually sound inclusive at all. Halloween is for everyone.

Old 12-03-2023, 01:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Millennials are not running the schools yet; Baby Boomers and Gen X are the ones ultimately making the decisions. Maybe a few of the oldest Millennials who are now in their 40's are in positions of power, but that is a small slice.

As someone running a school, I think my main concern would actually be students dressing in costumes which would be inappropriate and/or offensive. Maybe this is a way to preempt that. Either that or as a measure to not exclude poor children whose families cannot afford to spend on a costume. SOMA is a mixed district in terms of socioeconomic status. But the principle of banning costumes altogether is stupid. Just do it the way it was always done; allow the kids to dress up, but the offenders will be disciplined.

People who insist Halloween endorses Satanism or whatnot are complete nutjobs.

Got to disagree here on this one big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey