Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 06:01 AM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

I don't get how "NYC is not a hub" relates to the conversation.

The poster is simply saying if you are going to work in Westerchester, on the eastern side of the river, wouldn't it be faster and cheaper to commute from there rather than take 287 over the Tappan Zee bridge back and forth and go down into Jersey every day. It is a valid question.

Westchester or Bergen County, you can find the same suburban feeling. Westchester property tax may be higher.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:28 AM

71 posts, read 69,613 times
Got it - and thanks for the advice.

What are the Westchester towns you recommend? And is it affordable plus I hear that schools are better in NJ? I am willing to commute then have to move again if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 06:54 AM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglore View Post

What are the Westchester towns you recommend? And is it affordable plus I hear that schools are better in NJ? I am willing to commute then have to move again if that makes sense.
Schools in NJ are excellent for the most part. But I would be surprised if anyone was confident enough to say they are better than Westchester. I'd say schools are probably a wash, but Westchester is generally regarded as having some of the best schools in the country.

If looking in Westchester and not needing daily access to NYC but wanting some 'center of gravity' of a town center, I'd look at Katonah or Pleasantville, for starters. Both a bit cheaper than the towns further down county. If you're set on NJ, I'd focus on town close to the onramp to either the GSP or Palisades (plenty of nice ones to choose from, just know that crossing a river anywhere in the NYC area can be hit or miss from a traffic perspective).

Old 11-17-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Schools in NJ are excellent for the most part. But I would be surprised if anyone was confident enough to say they are better than Westchester. I'd say schools are probably a wash, but Westchester is generally regarded as having some of the best schools in the country.

If looking in Westchester and not needing daily access to NYC but wanting some 'center of gravity' of a town center, I'd look at Katonah or Pleasantville, for starters. Both a bit cheaper than the towns further down county. If you're set on NJ, I'd focus on town close to the onramp to either the GSP or Palisades (plenty of nice ones to choose from, just know that crossing a river anywhere in the NYC area can be hit or miss from a traffic perspective).
Thanks - this is really helpful. Now for someone who only went to Manhattan and Queens in NYC. Can you please suggest some of the towns in Westchester. Also do Katonah and Pleasantville fit the bill in terms of what we are looking for (schools, vibrant feel, gyms, restaurants etc..) and similarly, the ones close to the on-ramp at NJ? What does GSP stand for?

Old 11-17-2023, 07:16 AM

Update: I see Woodcliff lake, Montvale and Park Ridge are close to the GSP in NJ.

What do you think of these towns in northern NJ in terms of what we are looking for and also how long is the commute if it is a miss?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I don't know much about Westchester. Have rarely had reason to go there. Better to ask on the New York>Westchester subforum.

Westchester County is one of the most expensive places in the nation, I do know that!

Old 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM

Then, let’s keep diving in at the north Bergen county area which is my preference.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Then, let’s keep diving in at the north Bergen county area which is my preference.
OK. As I said, Ridgewood.

Good schools, just did a quick Google Maps and it give me a 35-minute drive town to town (Garden State Parkway connects to 287 and right over the TZ), known for it's shops and restaurants and culture and very good schools.

Plus I was born there.

OK, I didn't grow up there after I came home from the hospital, but rather in an adjacent town which might not be fancy enough for you, and the schools might not rank as high as Ridgewood, but hey, I raised my kid there and she has a PhD. Anyway, look at Ridgewood. I think it fits what you are looking for. Seriously.

Also, as someone suggested, look at Glen Rock, next to Ridgewood. Interesting that you listed teeny-tiny Ho-Ho-Kus, which doesn't even have a high school of its own, but not Ridgewood or Glen Rock.

Wyckoff, maybe, too, since you don't need to commute to the city, and Allendale. They both have some semblance of a walkable downtown with restaurants and shops, though not quite the same as Ridgewood because they developed out of farm towns much later. But Ridgewood would be the best out of all them for a commute to Tarrytown because of the proximity to the Garden State Parkway.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-17-2023 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-17-2023, 10:44 AM

Can you explain how Ridge-wood aligns with what we are looking for? In other words, elaborate more on why Ridgewood is a good choice?

Old 11-17-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Can you explain how Ridge-wood aligns with what we are looking for? In other words, elaborate more on why Ridgewood is a good choice?
You said in the OP:

Quote:
What kind of place are you looking for ? Diverse, young families, suburb with a vibrant feeling; walkable, access to the city (presume this is NYC within 30 mins drive, close to gyms, shops, good restaurants (we are foodies), new construction and preferably a community
and

Quote:
List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) safety, outdoor activities, new construction, downtown or close; basically suburb with urban feel.
I bolded the last sentence because I think that's a good description.

Some notes: Technically, you can be in NYC within a 30-minute drive, but of course that will depend on a) time of day (you won't get to NYC in 30 minutes during rush hour even if you live on the western bank of the Hudson River) and b) WHERE you go in NYC (you can be at the GWB in less than 30 minutes during non-rush hour, but that's the northern end of Manhattan. If you want to get to Midtown, say for a show or something, it will take you longer to go to the Lincoln Tunnel.) BUT, Ridgewood was a very early commuter town, dating back to the 19th century, so it has good and frequent train service as well as buses.

The other downside will likely be "new construction", which is going to be harder to find in pretty much most of northern Bergen County anyway. The area was first settled almost 400 years ago, and even though there was still farmland there fifty years ago, most of those farms have long gone to developers. Ridgewood housing stock tends to be older, well-constructed, well-maintained homes. However, along with that comes beautiful established trees rather than the empty, sterile lots surrounding newer homes.

Ridgewood is known for its restaurants. It's also home to a fair number of authors, artists, some people in the entertainment industry, along with the financial/Wall Street types and doctors from the well-regarded Valley Hospital.

https://www.ridgewoodnj.net/

I miss it. I moved to Central NJ more than a decade ago and don't get up that way too much these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey