Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 08:33 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Everything East of Ridgewood has to rely on the Packsack valley Line or busses. Packsack has limited frequencies and I kind of just gave up on them. Now I take the 164/165/177x or 167t depending on where I am in the morning. NJT bus saves my life, such a great system and should be a model for other cities.
Well, that's not exactly true, and I know it's not, because as I already pointed out, I took the Main/Bergen Line train from Ridgewood for about 100 years.

The stations EAST of Ridgewood on the Bergen Line are Glen Rock Boro Hall, Broadway and Radburn (both in Fair Lawn), Plauderville (Garfield), Garfield, and Rutherford, then it stops at Secaucus and terminates in Hoboken.

Similarly, on the Main line, stations east of Ridgewood are Glen Rock Main Line, Paterson, Passaic, Clifton, Delawanna (also Clifton), and Lyndhurst. Might have missed one or two.

It's Pascack, not Packsack. Yes, less frequent service, and also east of Ridgewood.

Old 11-27-2023, 12:22 PM

71 posts, read 69,856 times
Thanks all for your help - so to summarize:

I will be looking into:

Ridge wood, Glen rock, Upper Saddle River, Montvale, HoHoKus, Woodcliff lake and Park Ridge? Is this much of a hike in terms of finding houses with our requirements? Let me know please and It would be great if someone is at my current situation (would love to know what was the outcome) or if there is similar threads also. I am trying to educate myself regarding the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 08:16 PM

163 posts, read 130,874 times
I was in a similar position and ended up buying in the Pascack Valley area (Park Ridge, Montvale, River Vale). For me it was the commute to work that was the deciding factor. Mortgage rates have gone down in the past few weeks, so your buying power may be a bit higher. I recommend you drive around and check these areas out. Upper Saddle River is gorgeous but I avoided it due to being mostly well/septic.

Every single town you listed is upper crust, you can't go wrong, so go with the house you like.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:58 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
I was in a similar position and ended up buying in the Pascack Valley area (Park Ridge, Montvale, River Vale). For me it was the commute to work that was the deciding factor. Mortgage rates have gone down in the past few weeks, so your buying power may be a bit higher. I recommend you drive around and check these areas out. Upper Saddle River is gorgeous but I avoided it due to being mostly well/septic.

Every single town you listed is upper crust, you can't go wrong, so go with the house you like.
Still...I drove through there yesterday (GPS took me that way as a detour returning from HHK for some reason) and I remember how much I love it there. I got married there in 1989 (divorced in Hackensack in 2001, lol) and it's just so beautiful. Love the old houses.

Old 11-29-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post

Thanks so much - may I ask how much did you buy your house, the area, schools etc…also if there are certain communities for new construction you recommend? Also what does septic / upper crust mean

Old 11-29-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglore View Post
Thanks so much - may I ask how much did you buy your house, the area, schools etc…also if there are certain communities for new construction you recommend? Also what does septic / upper crust mean
The northern part of Bergen County, above Rt. 4, is generally a mix of upper middle class and wealthy towns. Virtually every town in the area has excellent schools. The towns you listed all have excellent schools. Most of the towns are also very small, and blend into each other. You can take a look at the Toll developments which are at 1M+. A new SFH will generally be 1.5-1.7M although you will occasionally find one closer to the 1M mark.

I would also add Mahwah, Westwood, and Hillsdale to your list. And consider the Eastern towns - Old Tappan, Closter, etc.

Ridgewood has a major downtown and is busy. The other towns are a bit quieter. Keep in mind all of these towns are expensive… Montvale and Park Ridge are merely expensive whereas Ho Ho Kus and USR are wealthy.

Google septic tank and well water vs. city sewer and water for more insight.

If demographics are important to you, some towns have a larger fraction of minorities than others. You can Google school system demographics to learn more.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2023, 09:46 PM

Thanks again!!

Diversity is very important to me and a walkable neighborhood / downtown is a plus. Also, how is Montvale and where is your work? If i may ask: how do you like it so far and compared to….?

Old 11-30-2023, 06:32 AM

Montvale is a great town. But it doesn't have a walkable downtown. For that, take a look at Ridgewood and Westwood.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:49 AM

332 posts, read 523,202 times
OP should realize none of these towns are "urban." Like sure, Ridgewood has a very nice downtown with lots of stores etc, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people in town still spend most of their time driving around everywhere. This isn't Hoboken or JC. You're not just walking down the block every day to your favorite coffee shop.

Also, if you really must have new construction, you're looking at a townhouse/attached home in a new development and even those are at the top end of your budget. And generally not near downtown areas.

Last - fwiw traffic across the tappan zee/cuomo bridge has gotten much worse in the last 6 months. Just worth noting.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:24 PM

I understand that. I don’t want to live in a city or urban. I like the suburbs but with some vibe or “something to do”. What do you suggest then in terms of areas to look at?

I need to move for work but also don’t want another rural spot to reside in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey