Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 07:22 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
If new construction is an absolute must, you're probably looking at $1.5M MINIMUM for a single family house right now, and in the more blue-ribbon towns certainly higher than that. And while this would need more vetting, I believe you will also pay more in taxes for new construction, at least that has been the anecdotes I have noticed over the years. You can probably find a condo or townhouse in your price range, though.

I'm curious if you have been looking online in these towns and if you are finding anything to your liking?
Yep. Insistence on new construction in an area developed and built up long ago is going to be a problem.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:19 AM

72 posts, read 70,160 times
New as within the last 10 years. Will that help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 11:47 AM

12,193 posts, read 8,072,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
Bergen County native here. Now live in Mercer. Really wish I lived in Bucks. Co. That being said, visited Bergen County a few months ago. I was sick of the traffic and congestion within a few hours. They were out of room 25 years ago. I couldn't believe all the crevices they managed to sneak new homes into. The place is just not built for more population.
Bergen County is surprisingly inconvenient, being so convenient.

iykyk
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9164...8192?entry=ttu
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9425...8192?entry=ttu
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8544...8192?entry=ttu

Old 11-20-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglore View Post
New as within the last 10 years. Will that help?
$1.4-2.0+ mil

Even an 60s/70s/80s built, 4 bedroom home in a mehhh town like Rochelle Park is 600-800k now, with 15k-20k in property taxes.

Old 11-20-2023, 12:49 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,661,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Those first two are my neck of the woods. I’m in the minority here but I don’t think the traffic in Bergen County is all that bad. This is coming from someone who lived most of his life in Hudson County, so I guess perspective matters. I enjoy the extra few minutes to catch up on some podcasts or put on my Spotify playlists.

Old 11-20-2023, 03:16 PM

164 posts, read 132,533 times
I was also looking for a new build in the northern part of the county, and prices ran away from me... just 3 years ago you could get a high end SFH for ~1M, but as others have said, that figure has blown up by about 50%, or more. If you look carefully you will occasionally see a new build go up for ~$1M but you get less and less, i.e. smaller and the garage will now be detached, etc. The townhouses are certainly something to consider, they are very nice, but for the most part they are over 1M.

Westchester is more expensive... a LOT more expensive in fact, with the worst taxes in the country. You will get a lot more for your money in Bergen in general... you also have to be careful with addresses in Westchester. Some houses that have Scarsdale or Bronxville addresses are actually in adjacent towns with less desirable school systems.

Good luck. It's a very hard time right now and has been for a couple years. My colleagues who bought beautiful homes in Bergen 3-4 years ago, with the same job and salary as me, would also be priced out if they were shopping right now. Who knows how it will all shake out.

Old 11-20-2023, 05:06 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,661,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
I was also looking for a new build in the northern part of the county, and prices ran away from me... just 3 years ago you could get a high end SFH for ~1M, but as others have said, that figure has blown up by about 50%, or more. If you look carefully you will occasionally see a new build go up for ~$1M but you get less and less, i.e. smaller and the garage will now be detached, etc. The townhouses are certainly something to consider, they are very nice, but for the most part they are over 1M.

Westchester is more expensive... a LOT more expensive in fact, with the worst taxes in the country. You will get a lot more for your money in Bergen in general... you also have to be careful with addresses in Westchester. Some houses that have Scarsdale or Bronxville addresses are actually in adjacent towns with less desirable school systems.

Good luck. It's a very hard time right now and has been for a couple years. My colleagues who bought beautiful homes in Bergen 3-4 years ago, with the same job and salary as me, would also be priced out if they were shopping right now. Who knows how it will all shake out.

Sure you get a lot less for your money now than you would have 3-4 years ago, but we’re still talking about $1 million. There’s plenty of options if expectations are lowered a bit. Now the people with budgets below, say, $450,000…. it’s slim pickings.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Those first two are my neck of the woods. I’m in the minority here but I don’t think the traffic in Bergen County is all that bad. This is coming from someone who lived most of his life in Hudson County, so I guess perspective matters. I enjoy the extra few minutes to catch up on some podcasts or put on my Spotify playlists.
Yeah I live right next to Hackensack, and while I don't think the traffic is horrible, its definitely consistently 'bad'. Especially if you get closer to that 17/GSP/Route 4 junction mess lol.

NJ Transit is also terrible in Northern NJ (Specifically Bergen County), so that is also a huge blunder to the area.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:27 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah I live right next to Hackensack, and while I don't think the traffic is horrible, its definitely consistently 'bad'. Especially if you get closer to that 17/GSP/Route 4 junction mess lol.

NJ Transit is also terrible in Northern NJ (Specifically Bergen County), so that is also a huge blunder to the area.
How so? The Bergen County/Main Line has frequent service and a good on-time record. I took it to the city (Hoboken actually, with PATH/Ferry connection) for decades. Pascack Valley line did have fewer trains.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How so? The Bergen County/Main Line has frequent service and a good on-time record. I took it to the city (Hoboken actually, with PATH/Ferry connection) for decades. Pascack Valley line did have fewer trains.
Everything East of Ridgewood has to rely on the Packsack valley Line or busses. Packsack has limited frequencies and I kind of just gave up on them. Now I take the 164/165/177x or 167t depending on where I am in the morning. NJT bus saves my life, such a great system and should be a model for other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey