Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 09:33 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times

Advertisements

DON'T DO IT!!!

AVOID NJ AT ALL COST.

A guy from maine, on the way to texas stopped to sleep, cops saw a long gun and he got arrested.

Another guy had a delayed flight to a PA gun show, had to transfer luggage/guns to another plane, he ended up being arrested. No one knows the laws and locals act super conservatively, you may be innocent despite arrest, but you will go broke clearing yourself in court.

A lady from PA dropping off kids in NJ arrested.... eventually cleared, look it up.

NJ requires guns and ammo transported in separate locked cases.

Doesn;t even allow you to stop anywhere home to the range and back, may have eased up and allowed a fuel fill up on the way.

The laws are too interpretive to take a chance.

For the bottom line, call the NJ state police, and talk to the person who deals with firearms and law and visits FFLs.

Do NOT ask the local police!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Contact the state police.

Not worth it to go anywhere Nj with a hand gun. Unless you are a gang banger or a democrat, then laws do not apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 11:01 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times
Thank you Kracer, you've been the most helpful so far. I will keep everything locked, unloaded and separated in the car; then I will not drive with it when I go anywhere until I leave the state.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:07 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Thank you Kracer, you've been the most helpful so far. I will keep everything locked, unloaded and separated in the car; then I will not drive with it when I go anywhere until I leave the state.
Best of luck! Scares me when travelling to leave firearms in car trunk at night if at hotel. Not a problem in Maine, NJ another story. Make sure the firearms are secure wherever you leave them.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:40 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,820,345 times
Right, I agree, I will be at my parents house.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:10 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times
Quote:
I will call NJ if no one knows for sure. "Hey, gimme the number for Jersey"
I want to have it with me when I'm in VA and when I'm driving home from VA.
Very good idea calling NJ instead of relying on strangers on the internet, even those residing in NJ, even if they own guns in NJ.

The NJ State Police website has FAQs about firearms in NJ and a contact link at the top of the page.

https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

Attorney sites with additional information.

https://www.newjerseycriminallawatto...-of-state-gun/

https://www.newjerseygunlawyers.com/...ns-new-jersey/

The statutes:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jer...ction-2c-39-5/

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jer...ction-2c-39-6/

Very scary.

Bottom line: Unless you are on a highway that goes from one end of the state to another, no matter what you say to an officer when he discovers your handgun, you WILL be arrested, you WILL stay in jail until you post bail, you WILL be prosecuted, you WILL spend tens of thousands of dollars on an attorney, and you may go to prison.

Either leave it home or, if you are really concerned with traveling, park it with a firearms dealer temporarily in a state (with reciprocity) closest to NJ before you enter NJ and pick it up on the way back.

I'm a gun guy and that's what I would do, only I'd be travelling to NYC, which may even be worse. I can travel from AZ to PA with my carry permit, last time I looked, but I would certainly check it again.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
If you plan to visit NJ on a regular basis, it appears that the state will issue a carry permit to non-residents. This page has some good info https://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf with links to NJ State web sites.

State site https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/NJS...FOR_PTC_v2.pdf

Keep in mind that NJ law prohibits magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. If you have a Glock with a 17 round magazine, you won't be able to carry that.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:59 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Yea leave the gun at home. You’re probably not gonna do much damage with a .22 anyway
A .22 is better than the gun you don’t have……

Old 01-06-2024, 07:05 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
A .22 is better than the gun you don’t have……
If you’re going to carry, it should be a gun that’s guaranteed to stop an attacker

Old 01-06-2024, 07:14 PM

1,863 posts, read 838,994 times
Quote:
I have an open carry permit here in TN (it's just a .22) and I will be staying in NJ for a few weeks this summer. I see that I cannot have the gun loaded or in my reach while in the car. I'm reading this page
https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/tra...-firearm.shtml

Apparently federal law will not permit my travel with a handgun coming to NJ where the possession of it is not legal. So does that mean I cannot bring the gun at all? I just want to be sure, cause it's pretty shocking to me. (I have no intention of open carrying, I just wanted the gun as I will be by myself quite often).

I was on the uslawshield site and am wondering if I'm supposed to purchase legal protection for a trip such as this? Hopefully someone here has experience with my situation? TIA

nonono, any state but NJ, dont do it.leave it in tn

Old 01-06-2024, 07:15 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
I have an open carry permit here in TN (it's just a .22) and I will be staying in NJ for a few weeks this summer. I see that I cannot have the gun loaded or in my reach while in the car. I'm reading this page
https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/tra...-firearm.shtml

Apparently federal law will not permit my travel with a handgun coming to NJ where the possession of it is not legal. So does that mean I cannot bring the gun at all? I just want to be sure, cause it's pretty shocking to me. (I have no intention of open carrying, I just wanted the gun as I will be by myself quite often).

I was on the uslawshield site and am wondering if I'm supposed to purchase legal protection for a trip such as this? Hopefully someone here has experience with my situation? TIA
I am not being snarky in any way, but I don't understand why this is surprising: NJ does not have any reciprocity with TN permits.

What surprised me is that you need a permit to open carry in TN: if I am not mistaken, concealed carry does not require a permit in TN.

As far as NJ is concerned, the majority of the State is very safe...few events occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey