Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 06:39 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,825,286 times

Advertisements

I have an open carry permit here in TN (it's just a .22) and I will be staying in NJ for a few weeks this summer. I see that I cannot have the gun loaded or in my reach while in the car. I'm reading this page
https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/tra...-firearm.shtml

Apparently federal law will not permit my travel with a handgun coming to NJ where the possession of it is not legal. So does that mean I cannot bring the gun at all? I just want to be sure, cause it's pretty shocking to me. (I have no intention of open carrying, I just wanted the gun as I will be by myself quite often).

I was on the uslawshield site and am wondering if I'm supposed to purchase legal protection for a trip such as this? Hopefully someone here has experience with my situation? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 06:48 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Can you give more information? What will you be doing that you think you'll need a gun when you come here?

I am not a gun person, and I have managed to live my entire life in NJ without one. (I am not anti-gun and don't care if other people have them, it's just not for me.)

Old 01-06-2024, 07:09 AM

I grew up in NJ so I'm more used to NOT having a gun. But as a single, older female, it's just peace of mind. I will go out with friends while in NJ and I just prefer to have it when I am alone.

But let me add this to the equation....my "end" state to this trip is VA which provides reciprocity and therefore my "safe passage" would be covered by the gov't. But if I am spending 3 weeks in NJ and only a few days in VA can I still say VA is my "end" state?

Old 01-06-2024, 07:19 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I grew up in NJ so I'm more used to NOT having a gun. But as a single, older female, it's just peace of mind. I will go out with friends while in NJ and I just prefer to have it when I am alone.

But let me add this to the equation....my "end" state to this trip is VA which provides reciprocity and therefore my "safe passage" would be covered by the gov't. But if I am spending 3 weeks in NJ and only a few days in VA can I still say VA is my "end" state?
Interesting. For some reason I assumed you were a guy.

My sister's husband died last year. He had several guns, which she sold, but she kept one for herself now that she is an alone older woman. A friend of mine, a widow, keeps a .357 and has for years, I think even before her husband died. I am out of the loop here, I guess.

When I was staying in Canada, two people asked me if I had a gun, including the dentist working on my teeth. They think all Americans carry. They don't know about New Jersey. Lol.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:38 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Leave your gun home in TN safely locked up. There have been people arrested and prosecuted for carrying a gun legal in their home state into NJ. Google and various articles come up

Old 01-06-2024, 07:39 AM

20,120 posts, read 9,032,117 times
As I recall you have to keep your handgun unloaded and locked in your trunk if you're traveling through. You need a permit for concealed firearm carry, and it must be approved by a NJ judge. New Jersey has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. Your Tennessee open carry means nothing in New Jersey. Not sure if staying 3 weeks would be construed as traveling through. Best to research that. I think you're best leaving it at home.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:48 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Yea leave the gun at home. You’re probably not gonna do much damage with a .22 anyway

Old 01-06-2024, 07:58 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Best not to carry a gun in your car when traveling through or into NJ. See link.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-into-1-a.html

Old 01-06-2024, 08:16 AM

I will call NJ if no one knows for sure. "Hey, gimme the number for Jersey"
I want to have it with me when I'm in VA and when I'm driving home from VA.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:12 AM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post

The Federal law, Firearms Owners Protection Act, only applies if you are passing through a state on the way to somewhere else. Staying in NJ for 3 weeks is not covered by that law.

For sure, you cannot carry while in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey