Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:44 AM

451 posts, read 324,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I'm okay with sports and played a college sport. I do have a problem with what things like the NFL have become. Some grown adults now have idolized these teams and some players. These adults take time away from their families, church, and lives to see what some team or player is going to do over the next 1 hour of their lives. They purchase clothing, gear, spend small fortunes, get drunk to idolize and worship their teams.

The Government then gives them a tax-exempt status, pays hundreds of millions of dollars to build them temples, so they can turn around make millions of dollars each and live out of state.

The players are in it for themselves, the teams are in for themselves, and both frankly do not care about the lives of their worshippers as they are a business. Its quite sad to see what it really is when you open up your eyes and see what it actually is.

I see you're a "NJ Devils" worshipper Why put another persons brand for which they make a living as your name? Where is your own individualism? You can live your entire life supporting the NJ Devils, the team and players don't care about you. They will take your money, but they wont be their to celebrate or care about milestones in your life at all. You could drop dead tomorrow, and they wouldn't know the difference.
You worship Trump and the bolded line applies to you. Pot meet kettle. Why wouldn't I make my name something innocuous. I already put my location here, so no need to use any further identifying factors.

You are conflating a number of different things in one post. Somehow talking about the fabric of society and the nuclear family being degraded and then talking about our tax dollars being wasted, then jumping to athletes being selfish.

Stay focused. Sports teams can have an amazing impact on the local economy and also bring communities, fathers and sons, grandparents and grandchildren, etc. together. Being obsessed or compulsive about anything is no good - whether that is sports, politics, what have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 08:10 AM

10,512 posts, read 7,046,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
You worship Trump and the bolded line applies to you. Pot meet kettle. Why wouldn't I make my name something innocuous. I already put my location here, so no need to use any further identifying factors.

You are conflating a number of different things in one post. Somehow talking about the fabric of society and the nuclear family being degraded and then talking about our tax dollars being wasted, then jumping to athletes being selfish.

Stay focused. Sports teams can have an amazing impact on the local economy and also bring communities, fathers and sons, grandparents and grandchildren, etc. together. Being obsessed or compulsive about anything is no good - whether that is sports, politics, what have you.
I don't worship Trump, and if I do support Trump its because just about everything in my life is effected about how awful Biden has been, and how great Trump was. My username isn't Trump, and I'm not wearing his name as my nametag.

Agree, sports obsession is worshipping idols, its fine to go to a game but what the NFL (and a few other sports) has become for some is idolatry.

As for impact on the local economy, it would have to be a case by case basis. The Devils aren't really having a large impact on the local economy, sure the guy who owns the land outside the stadium is making money selling parking, there are few locals making minimum wage a few times a week selling concessions, and some older people making minimum wage as ushers. The bulk of the money made is going to the team, and large corps selling food and apparel.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I don't worship Trump, and if I do support Trump its because just about everything in my life is effected about how awful Biden has been, and how great Trump was. My username isn't Trump, and I'm not wearing his name as my nametag.

Agree, sports obsession is worshipping idols, its fine to go to a game but what the NFL (and a few other sports) has become for some is idolatry.

As for impact on the local economy, it would have to be a case by case basis. The Devils aren't really having a large impact on the local economy, sure the guy who owns the land outside the stadium is making money selling parking, there are few locals making minimum wage a few times a week selling concessions, and some older people making minimum wage as ushers. The bulk of the money made is going to the team, and large corps selling food and apparel.
The whole area around the Prudential Center is also night and day compared to 2007 when they first got there. It's an improvement for the new bars and restaurants that have popped up in the area.

But they are not the one I had in mind. Think Cleveland when Lebron James left for Miami. The neighborhood in Downtown Cleveland lost billions when he left. Think the Packers for little ol' Green Bay, Wisconsin. As long as tax payers aren't footing the bill on stadiums on behalf of rich owners, I don't see the problem.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:59 AM

7,057 posts, read 19,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
The whole area around the Prudential Center is also night and day compared to 2007 when they first got there. It's an improvement for the new bars and restaurants that have popped up in the area.
And that, in turn, is a contributing factor to the new residential development happening in downtown Newark now. It's not all "because of" the Devils, but the Devils have helped to make an environment that is more desirable for developers to invest and for people looking for a vibrant place to live.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
And that, in turn, is a contributing factor to the new residential development happening in downtown Newark now. It's not all "because of" the Devils, but the Devils have helped to make an environment that is more desirable for developers to invest and for people looking for a vibrant place to live.
Absolutely, along with Red Bull Arena across the way in Harrison. You see all those condo's, restaurants, along with a new upgraded PATH station. That whole area from the Ironbound to Prudential Center will look a whole lot different in 20 years.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:30 AM

5,174 posts, read 3,778,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Big difference as we're talking different states with NJ and NY.
NJ despite its positives is always considered beneath NY. For sports teams anyway. I have no problem calling the teams that play in NJ Jersey Giants Jets etc. but that won't ever change.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
NY Jets and NY Giants let me know when they drop the NY OK?
Let me know when they stop receiving tax dollars from us New Jersey residents, OK? Where would any business licenses dealing with that team be located, Sir? Putting the words New York on the Jersey somehow trumps the operation locations? I mean, they don't even practice in New York; that's the least they could do, right?

Nope! Jets' practice facility is Florham Park with the stadium being in East Rutherford. It doesn't get more Jersey than that. F*ck a name. They could be the USA Jets, for all I care, and it still wouldn't change the location where the team has been for the past 40 years.

The Nets moved from New York to Jersey and adopted the name...sure enough, they then adopted their new city, Brooklyn, once they left Jersey.

The Jets should do the same.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Murf View Post
Let me know when they stop receiving tax dollars from us New Jersey residents, OK? Where would any business licenses dealing with that team be located, Sir? Putting the words New York on the Jersey somehow trumps the operation locations? I mean, they don't even practice in New York; that's the least they could do, right?

Nope! Jets' practice facility is Florham Park with the stadium being in East Rutherford. It doesn't get more Jersey than that. F*ck a name. They could be the USA Jets, for all I care, and it still wouldn't change the location where the team has been for the past 40 years.

The Nets moved from New York to Jersey and adopted the name...sure enough, they then adopted their new city, Brooklyn, once they left Jersey.

The Jets should do the same.
Yeah the Nets adopted the NY name. Money from the state has nothing to do with it. These teams would rather have the NY association than NJ. Not hard to figure this out. Sorry if it bothers you.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Yeah the Nets adopted the NY name. Money from the state has nothing to do with it. These teams would rather have the NY association than NJ. Not hard to figure this out. Sorry if it bothers you.
Are you dumb or slow? You do realize the Nets were originally in New York as the New York Nets and then came to Jersey and became the New Jersey Nets, too. I mean even if you didn't know, which you clearly didn't, I explained that in my original reply to you.

Money from the state has something to do with it if the team chooses for it to, as witnessed by the Nets in their time here.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3Murf View Post
Are you dumb or slow? You do realize the Nets were originally in New York as the New York Nets and then came to Jersey and became the New Jersey Nets, too. I mean even if you didn't know, which you clearly didn't, I explained that in my original reply to you.

Money from the state has something to do with it if the team chooses for it to, as witnessed by the Nets in their time here.

Any idiot would know the Nets originally played on the island. I really don't know how to respond to your comment. Who the ***** do you think you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey