Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 07:34 AM

10,495 posts, read 7,019,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That varies by town and school district, also some towns now require at least an associates for law enforcement. None of those starting salaries are going to get you a house in a decent area.

State police you need a 4 year degree so in order to retire at 38 you would have had to join at 18 years old, impossible needing a 4 year degree
They changed the rules a few years ago, however there are people today still retiring at 38.

These are also entry level salaries, the private sector isn't at great and likely even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 07:35 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
$40,000 most definitely qualifies for affordable housing. I posted a chart with income limits a few posts ago. Posters seem to be conflating affordable housing with low income housing, they are not the same.
Thank you for taking the time to post links and stats, can't rep you again.
That's the big issue with some who do not read, do not research they hear affordable housing and their minds conjure up urban 12 story housing projects from the 50's and 60's. They can't wrap their mind around the fact that many public servants starting out do not have the salary to qualify for a mortgage and the rents are choking them.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:42 AM

332 posts, read 523,202 times
I assume you live in EC and possibly moved there recently. From what I've gathered over the past decade the town government has been a disaster with tons of fighting over the affordable housing issue, generally between the democratic council and the republican mayor, and the constant fighting probably led to a much different outcome than if the town had a functional government.

Old 04-19-2024, 11:13 AM
46H

1,654 posts, read 1,402,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
They changed the rules a few years ago, however there are people today still retiring at 38.

These are also entry level salaries, the private sector isn't at great and likely even less.
New Jersey changed the education requirements for state troopers 30 years ago.

"The New Jersey State Police recently announced that its recruits must have a bachelor's degree or two years of community college or two years of other law-enforcement or military experience"
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/24/n...e-degrees.html

Due to the 4 years of education/law-enforcement experience, it is impossible for any current NJ State Troopers to take normal early retirement with the 50% pension at 38. Early retirement at 20 years was 50% of the pension. Gov Christie changed early retirement and 50% pension to 25 years. Gov Mrphy has since provided windows for 20 year early retirement with 50% pension.

"State law requires members of the state’s Police and Firemen’s Retirement System to retire at 65 with their full pension. But a 1999 state law allowed people with 20 years of service to retire, albeit at half their final compensation. That was later changed during then-Gov.Chris Christie's administration so anyone hired after January 2000 has to be at least 55 years old or have 25 years of service to retire early.

Murphy, though, signed a law in 2021 allowing nearly 8,000 police officers and firefighters about to reach 20 years of service a two-year window to retire early, regardless of their age or enrollment date, with half their final compensation. The unions who advocated for the change said the law was not creating a new benefit, but bringing workers in line with those hired before 2000 to correct what they argued was a misrepresentation of the 1999 law by Christie’s administration."

https://www.police1.com/pension/arti...NbfA96B08BGjv/

You continue to be fountain of misinformation and lies.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:08 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
... and you're surprised because... ?

Old 04-19-2024, 01:40 PM

10,495 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Quote:

"The New Jersey State Police recently announced that its recruits must have a bachelor's degree or two years of community college or two years of other law-enforcement or military experience"

Due to the 4 years of education/law-enforcement experience, it is impossible for any current NJ State Troopers to take normal early retirement with the 50% pension at 38. Early retirement at 20 years was 50% of the pension. Gov Christie changed early retirement and 50% pension to 25 years. Gov Mrphy has since provided windows for 20 year early retirement with 50% pension.

"State law requires members of the state’s Police and Firemen’s Retirement System to retire at 65 with their full pension. But a 1999 state law allowed people with 20 years of service to retire, albeit at half their final compensation. That was later changed during then-Gov.Chris Christie's administration so anyone hired after January 2000 has to be at least 55 years old or have 25 years of service to retire early.

Murphy, though, signed a law in 2021 allowing nearly 8,000 police officers and firefighters about to reach 20 years of service a two-year window to retire early, regardless of their age or enrollment date, with half their final compensation. The unions who advocated for the change said the law was not creating a new benefit, but bringing workers in line with those hired before 2000 to correct what they argued was a misrepresentation of the 1999 law by Christie’s administration."

What is the purpose of your post, but other to just prove what I said as correct then call me a liar and full of misinformation? There are various nuance changes that have happened through the years. It was common to leave highschool become a cop and retire at year 20, when you're 38.

For NJ State Troopers (not all police), there is a requirement for 60 college credits or an associate's degree. You can get that in a year or two after high school, and gasps i'm sure you don't know about this but you can college credits in highschoo. So yes, there are State Troopers and police retiring very young, and whatever the laws are for the year you could be 38, 40, or 42. This sure beats working in a career until you're 67.

NJ.com had a nice recent article on the cheat code to retire early by being a police officer.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2024/01/n...editorial.html

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 04-19-2024 at 02:54 PM..

Old 04-19-2024, 03:21 PM

20,150 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Average NJ teacher starts at 60k, fireman starts at 65k and policeman starts at 72k. You don't need a bachelors degree for a fireman or policeman, so its a pretty good first years pay for people in their younger 20s. The rules change a little bit, but there are State Police going into retirement today with a pension at the age of 38 in NJ.

People go into the teaching profession knowing they are not going to be rich, however you can earn a good salary moving into the administration, and its a job thats only for 2/3rd of the year. I have a friend who is a grammar school guidance counselor and also a bartender down the shore during the summer, and she says she clears over $200k a year.
New Jersey State Police; Top pay for a Trooper I is $152,943.00. Mandatory retirement at 55.

Old 04-20-2024, 12:29 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
Without naming names as I value my privacy… affordable housing is coming in my area soon. I live in one of the wealthiest areas in NJ. It’s kind of making me angry for a few reasons:

1. Property taxes will have to go up massively. Currently the town sets a side a fixed amount for each child. But since the town is so wealthy most kids go to private school. Now with affordable housing you will see hundreds of kids enter the public school system. Who is going to pay for these children? Why of course the residents.

2. Affordable housing brings with it crime.

3. Affordable housing will cause massive traffic congestion on local roads not meant to handle hundreds of vehicles.

Before anyone mentions racism. That is not an issue here. I myself am a minority, and the Asian population in the area is almost 35%. The issue is not race based at all. It’s about ruining the culture, and prestige. Only through hard work could you live in a town like this. Now it’s shifted to a lottery system.

Who are the imbeciles in Mount Laurel who asked for this? Of course the housing is built with town revenues paid by tax payers. The developer wins however a new source of income. The developers want this insanity. The residents do not.

The mayor is trying to put a positive spin on the situation talking about “inclusivity.” But god it makes me so angry.

What other problems does adorable housing bring?

All of these people can go live in Paterson, or Hackensack. They do not deserve my town.
Tell your mayor to build senior citizen housing. That counts as low income housing. Problem solved.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:12 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Quote:

Thank you! In addition anyone who took the early retirement forfeited medical benefits.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:04 PM

51 posts, read 35,225 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey