Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2024, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,144 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
just wondering if anyone knows more about these areas. Me and my fiance are considering buying a home after we are done renting

north arlington, nj
linden
elizabeth
hillside
The oranges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 03:42 PM

4,036 posts, read 3,665,930 times
Linden, Elizabeth, and Hillside are all high crime areas.

Orange and East Orange are also high in crime. Most of West Orange and South Orange is nice.

North Arlington is ok

Not sure how you came up with such a list.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
Linden is not high crime. It’s closer to Harlem. Middle class African American town.

Elizabeth is also not high crime. It has pockets of rough areas.

No idea about Hillside.

Orange/East orange are rough. Not high crime.

West orange/south orange are for sure the best towns on this list. But in West orange you have insane property taxes. (Roughly 5% of Market value). But what you get in return is very strong home appreciation. Has grown annualized 10% for almost 20 years now. But west orange middle school, and high school are very bad.

While I agree with you this is a peculiar list but it’s not too bad if you are on a tight budget.

High crime in NJ is Newark/trenton/camden/paterson. Nothing on this list approches living in those hellholes.

I stand by my statement. Anything above average crime rate is high. Doesn’t have to be the worst of the worst to be considered high.

Old 04-28-2024, 12:57 PM

185 posts, read 140,127 times
North Arlington would be my choice.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:10 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,787,973 times
Some of the towns mentioned some of you think are not high crime areas have been undesirable for 60 years. I wouldn't let my wife or kids walk them in broad daylight.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:43 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,250,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Some of the towns mentioned some of you think are not high crime areas have been undesirable for 60 years. I wouldn't let my wife or kids walk them in broad daylight.
"Undesirable" they are, but by the numbers they're not all that high crime. The bad Oranges have a CD crime index of 209.4 (Orange) and 88.2 (East Orange); the good Oranges are at 139.7 (West Orange) and 67.1 (South Orange). Newark is at 273.8.

(To be fair that's the EO numbers for 2022 which are very much below previous years, so there may be shenanigans involved).

Old 04-30-2024, 05:40 AM

5,178 posts, read 3,787,973 times
Reported crimes. I lived for a couple of years at 44 S. Munn Avenue in East Orange in the early 1970's. My wife was attacked waiting for the bus going to work in The City. We moved shortly thereafter. Newark and the surrounding areas are not safe for families. You think differently you are deluding yourself.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:42 PM

969 posts, read 1,147,160 times
Of the mentioned towns I'd say North Arlington is definitely your best choice. Second would be most of West and South Orange apart from the areas bordering Orange. Parts of these towns are beautiful but the bad is never far away. My youngest sister lived in the "rough" part of West Orange and while they were never crime vicitms they were getting annoyed with things going on in their neighborhood day to day. The moved away about three years ago.

I don't think Linden is that bad but my other sister lives in Clark near the Linden and Rahway borders - their parish is actually located in Linden - and always had a negative opinion of the place. I hate that stupid circle on exit 135 of the Garden State Parkway so we get off at 136 and come down Stiles to go to their house now and I see nothing wrong with that part of Linden but she continues to scoff at it, also being aversed to the Walmart in that town which wouldn't surprise me as being particularly nasty. I say if she didn't know that stretch of Stiles was Linden she wouldn't think there was anything wrong with it. I actually think it looks a little nicer than their neighborhood in Clark. But I don't live there so I don't know.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM

354 posts, read 273,394 times
Elizabeth has a very nice section called Elmora Hills. If you drive through this neighborhood/section it is actually shockingly very nice with tree lined streets, manicured lawns, and well maintained single family homes. Also, very safe to walk the streets in this neighborhood. Any other neighborhood in Elizabeth I would be cautious of though. If you move to any of the towns on your list I would strongly suggest putting your kids in private schools if you have children. I always loved Elmora Hills though it lowkey reminds me of Westfield. These are a few houses recently sold in Elmora Hills section of Elizabeth. Look at google street view and you will know what I am talking about. The streets literally look similiar to ones in Westfield. Every town/city has good sections and bad sections so just be aware of your surroundings.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...37175051_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...01764537_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...59263829_zpid/

Last edited by possibleyou; Yesterday at 10:52 PM..

Old Today, 04:59 AM

Just a guess here, but I don’t think someone considering living in these towns has a $1 million budget for a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey