Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:09 AM

741 posts, read 2,924,353 times

Advertisements

Had a brief overnight stay in Santa Fe, and had the opportunity to try out The Pantry (2nd & Cerrillos) for breakfast. My wife had one of their breakfast burritos and I ordered the Huevos Rancheros (A truly classic NM dish. A must-try for anyone outside the state that has never had it). One word: Fantastic. Great food, fast/attentive service. Highly recommended!

Chap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 AM

625 posts, read 2,437,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecracker View Post
From east to west:

Four Corners Area:
Durango, Co:
Lunch & Dinner- Francisco's- (Everythings good... I'm particularly fond of the carne adovada)
Farquahrts Pizza Mia- (Great Pizza, Cold Beer)
How sad, too--Farmington actually used to have some good places with the Paddock, the Airporter (killer burritos), and even the Country Palace.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:36 AM

75 posts, read 410,210 times
Default Bar-b-q

County Line on Tramway in NE heights has great ribs/chicken/brisket, great garlic mashed potatoes, good margaritas and a killer view from the big window main dining room overlooking the city lights. No reservations though, and the wait can be really long, especially in the summer time.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 PM

9 posts, read 34,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Hombre View Post
If your ever in Santa Rosa, NM stop by the Commet and have some blue corn chicken enchalladas. We eat there evertime we go home to visit! There's noting like them across the other 49 states!
Yes, this is the big diner type place on the main street? Having eaten there twice, it is my plan to stop there every time I go through Santa Rosa. They have amazing chile rellenos also.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 11,955 times
Default Alamogordo?

Anyone have any tips on good places around Alamogordo?
I am planning on moving there and one thing that gives me pause is my experience has been that the food is AWFUL! And not just Mexican. I have family there so I have spent weeks at a time visiting and never cease to be amazed that in New Mexico I can't get a decent Mexican meal. I know this is not true in Albuquerque or Santa Fe, but...

Someone mentioned Ramona's - I thought it was mediocre at best. Last visit, I went to a place in Tularosa and it was pretty good, at least the taco's were. Rice and beans not up to snuff though. Beer was a very steep $4/bottle too. I can't remember the name, but it's a nice place on the west side of the highway as you enter town. Pepper's Grill in Alamogordo was terrible, at least the nightly special I had. One of the worst restaurant meals I can ever remember. Maybe this was a one time deal, since I have eaten there before and thought it was OK.

Now, maybe I'm spoiled, but I just got home from Mexico and was not surprised that my little local Mexican place was WAY better than anything I had in Mexico, except at an expensive marina. I have read before that Los Angeles (where I now live) has the best Mexican food in the world, including Mexico itself. Has to do with higher quality ingredients or something. I have had excellent food in Mexico City, Mazatlan, Ensenada, etc., but only in more expensive places than I frequent here.

I do miss those sopapilla's & honey in NM though!

Old 12-06-2006, 09:07 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,097,376 times
Hmmm.. sorry to hear Ramona's was not all that good on your visit!

We always got the chorizo and bean burritoes with a side of rice and usually it was pretty good stuff. The staff used to stuff us because they knew we came all the way from Clovis to have meals there. Could have changed tho we have not been there in waaay too long.

They were the only resturant I ever went to there save one horrid experience at some chinese resturant along the main drag.

Sopapillas are not all that hard to make. I will dig out my recipe and you will not miss them anymore! All you need is some shortening, yeast, flour, sugar and a couple hours to let the dough set. Drizzle a little honey..maybe some fried ice cream and caramel sauce on top??? The ice cream is not as easy to make and requires a night prep but it is oh so evil!

I am stuck up here in NE PA with 0 resturants..I have learned to make my own stuff and instead of DH wanting to go out on the weekend to eat he begs me for home made perogies. I even make my own cinnabons, cannoli's and am working on making my own cheese and ice cream. It has turned out to be very fufilling and fun - money saving too.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 13,854 times
Default The Best

Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant --
Ah, the memories:
Best atmosphere in the world (climatalogically and culinarily speaking).
Go there in September or early October.
Eat in the patio / garden. Wear a sweater.
Bon appetit!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 11,955 times
cbill;
What city is this in?

winnie;
Well done! Homemade is often better anyway.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 29,752 times
Default My new favorite in ABQ

Los Compadres on Isletea. It's always packed, go early. Barelas is next.
Olympia, Monte Carlo, and a little Mexican place on Lomas near Broadway for tacos. Oh yeah, and El Paisa on Bridge for tacos. Garcias is reliable. Frontier keeps raising its prices so I quit going. Pars was a let down, Cajun Kitchen is good. Drews Dogs is too expensive. O'Neal's Pub has good food. Rudy's for a Texas bbq fix. Powdrells catfish is good.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:30 PM

292 posts, read 726,332 times
Smile Try El Camino in Socorro

I know I'm going off the beaten path here, but I think the El Camino is one of the most original restaurants in NM. It's a mom and pop diner in Socorro that's always open. You don't see those much anymore. They're cheap, serve american and New Mexican food, you meet alot of colorful people ranging from Techies from the local college to locals, and if you lived there awhile like myself you like the nostalgic atmosphere. It never changes, and it's a place I always stop at when passing through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico