Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:32 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,522 times

Advertisements

Writing about green chile in another thread got me thinking...

Quite a few threads seem to be very "heavy" where it comes to subject matter, in addition to being fairly combative. But if we're going to have a spirited debate, why not have some fun and address something a little lighter?

It might be nice if some of the locals or visitors to NM offered some opinions on their favorite eating establishments, particularly those that specialize in New Mexican cuisine. While you can get Italian, Thai, or Chinese just about anywhere (in varying degrees of quality), I have rarely ever seen a New Mexican food restaurant outside of NM. New Mexican should not be confused with "Mexican" or "Tex-Mex". I've always found it helps to have a little "insider" food information when visiting/moving to a new area. That being said, here's my two cents to get things started...

Albuquerque
Sadie's - A local all-around favorite (just about everything is well prepared), but some say not as good since they moved out of the bowling alley. Very busy on Fri, Sat, Sun.
Casa de Benevidez - Not as well known as others, but another place that does a good all-around job. Also has a "carry-out" window for the budget minded.
Los Cuates - My former favorite. Still good, but has taken a step back with new ownership. But no one makes salsa like these guys.
Gardunos - The local 800 LB gorilla, with multiple locations. Food is OK, but definitely more "corporate" than they used to be.
Monroe's - Food is good. Solid choice, but I usually go to one of the above due to convenience.
Garcia's - Another local favorite, with multiple locations. Food is good, specialty is carne adovada. mmmmmmm
El Pinto - Beautiful property, tons of character. Food is so-so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 05:57 PM

212 posts, read 689,281 times
This is just my personal opinion, but as a student on a tight budget, Little Anitas in Corrales is heaven. The newly rebuilt one on University isn't too bad, either. Yummy, filling, and cheap.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,661 times
I've been to all those you mention Chaparral. All pretty good. Monroe's has a great lowcarb menu for the low carb minded.
Sadies is still good. But they seem to me to have been much better when they were in the bowling alley. Still good though. Great margiritas and decent beer list. I still buy there salsa at costco.

Good list you have there.
Albuquerque.
1st for me is Casa de Benenvidez- My wife and I lived near there for a few years and that was our favorite. Good margaritas.

Bernalillo
Abulitas is very good.
"The range" has its moments as well.

We need to do a seperate thread just for breakfast burritos.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:30 PM

212 posts, read 689,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb
We need to do a seperate thread just for breakfast burritos.
Twisters and Hello Delli (both on Jefferson).

Old 08-07-2006, 07:50 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
There is Leal's in Clovis, NM - one of the BEST mexican resturants I have been to.
Ramona's in Alamogordo (again, mexican)
In Albuquerque, I did like Gaurduno's simply because I thought the flavoring was very nice and unique. I liked the atmosphere too. This was way back in 2000, so I can't speak for how they are now.

Non-mexican wise, I like the Shogun in Clovis (if it is still there - it has been awhile ) and in Albuquerque there is this AWESOME sushi resturant in the south eastern section of the city - I think it is called the golden teapot or something like that. But awesome prices and great food.

And if you like pistachios for dessert, then you MUST go to the Heart of The Desert pistachio ranch in Alamogordo - going up rte 54/70 towards Tularoes. They have outstanding garlic roasted pistachios that are out of this world! Look them up at pistachiotreeranch.com

Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 PM

5 posts, read 19,521 times
Hi All. Great topic. I can't say this is an actual endorsement, as I have never personally eaten there, but I remember a restaurant being featured on the Food Network - in Chimayo - the Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant. Food looked great and the shows host was really gushing over both the food and the service. They also frequently have an ad in New Mexico magazine, which I recently subscribed to - not sure if its a paid ad or the magazines endorsement. Anyway sounded like a good place, somewhere I hope to visit when I visit NM.
I believe the show I saw actually was focused on "flavors of the southwest" theme and I also remember them featuring an enchilada festival in Las Cruces - they may have mentioned one of the local restaurants there and featured the head chef, but I am so sorry I can't remember all the details.

One that I do remember eating at, although its been many years and I don't remember the name, was in Santa Fe.... just thought I'd mention it because I remember having "New Mexico style" Enchiladas (just like my mom, a native New-Mexican always made) - that is, layered, not rolled, another fine dish that I don't believe too many people outside of New Mexico know about!

ps - hope to soon try my hand at making sopapillas with my daughter from the "recipes" discussion!

Last edited by FedUpWithCALI; 08-07-2006 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-10-2006, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 11,641 times
reading this one got my stomach growling for a resturant in Portales, my family lived there back in 80-82, so i'm not so sure if its still there. I think the name was The Hacienda, forgive the spelling, been in OK to long. lol but it was located in a little house and the entire family worked there. then there was the famous Doc's and there wonderful strawberry dr peppers. lol ahhhh good times!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,348 times
Try Casa Grande in Albuquerque....right across from the Aquarium. Good stuff, Maynard.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,425,300 times
When the pizza pangs hit, I always head to Village Pizza in Corrales. Can't beat the taste, price, atmosphere.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy
When the pizza pangs hit, I always head to Village Pizza in Corrales. Can't beat the taste, price, atmosphere.
I have to concur with nmguy. And they make a pretty mean calzone too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico