Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite bordering state of New Mexico
Arizona 21 23.86%
Colorado 49 55.68%
Oklahoma 2 2.27%
Texas 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:56 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,505,027 times

Advertisements

I have made many excursions/incursions into the neighboring states over the last 24 years and always enjoyed myself, but I am very selective about where I go.

In CO: Durango-Silverton-Ouray-Telluride; Mesa Verde; Denver-Boulder area and Rocky Mtn Nat'l. Park

In AZ: Canyon de Chelly; Flagstaff-Sedona-Jerome area; Phoenix (the MIM is one of my favorite places) and Tucson are worth multiple visits (Saguaro Monument; San Xavier del Bac); Bisbee

In TX: Austin, San Antonio, DFW area. I still haven't been to Houston and have a list of things there I want to see and do.

I don't get tired/bored with any of these places and hope to add more locations to my list of favorites. I have found people friendly everywhere. I especially delight in finding "alternative" enclaves inside seemingly "hostile" places.

I have been to Juarez and Chihuahua city, enjoyed them, not sure I would go again, except someday to do the Copper Canyon train ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,547,603 times
The southern one-third to one-half of Colorado and the northern one-third to one-half of New Mexico probably have more in common with each other than either does to the remainder of their respective states, so it's not surprising that residents of those areas have some affinity for the neighboring state. One thing that many long-time residents of both states share is a dislike for Texans and Californians--especially the Texans and Californians from the metro areas of their respective states. I've lived in several Rocky Mountain states and that pretty much is true in all of them.

As for me, my favorite areas of all the Rocky Mountain states are the rural places that have not been overrun by metropolitan transplants and the "beautiful people." Those places, unfortunately, are getting harder and harder to find.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,979,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
One thing that many long-time residents of both states share is a dislike for Texans and Californians
Oh jeeze... How about if I say, that is your opinion, not the opinions of many others I have actually known. Your hatred of anybody not from your area has been noted for a very long time...

Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,713,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
One thing that many long-time residents of both states share is a dislike for Texans and Californians--especially the Texans and Californians from the metro areas of their respective states.
I've not met many New Mexicans who dislike California/ns.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 AM

10,785 posts, read 23,967,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
I've not met many New Mexicans who dislike California/ns.
I agree. California is not a bordering state for one, and I have no reason for any animosity towards it and I hear very little of it here in NM.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 AM

471 posts, read 981,868 times
Colorado is the last state of our neighbors I would want to be in; if I like cold and rough weather, I could have stayed in the Midwest!

Arizona reminds me of Florida in that it is the nations second largest "retirement home" ( Florida is number one ). With older people comes the desire for regulation, rules, control and all the things they had in the places they retired from, not my idea of freedom in the southwest. And what is with all the tourism traps on the reservations near the GC and Monument Valley? Kind of sad driving through there and seeing natives wearing Plains Tribe clothing with the fake teepees waving at the cars, trying to get me to stop at the places where things are for sale.

Texas is a mixed bag of tricks. I don't like the damp crowded parts of the state east of the Caprock, but once you get up on the Caprock, the dusty western sections are made for me.. Used to live in the "little texas" area of New Mexico and that name is correct, if it weren't for the signs at the state line, you wouldn't know you are in new Mexico.

Oklahoma is not in my thoughts at all, though the town of Boise City, east of where the state touches NM, is considered the "heart of the Great Depression Dust Bowl".

My vote is for Texas, if I have to pick any of them....!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,407,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Hmmm. The results of the poll so far (CO waay ahead) do not surprise me.

Arizona, on the other hand, does not have as many fans in New Mexico. With very rare exception, most of the New Mexicans I have known with a special appreciation for Arizona have been Navajos. The reason for their special relationship should be obvious.
I went to high school in Silver City and many of my classmates had lived in towns in Arizona, generally where their dads worked for mines. Often they moved back and forth - Morenci, Safford, Bisbee, etc. My 40th high school reunion was this year and having been on FB the last few years, quite a few of my classmates and their families have moved to Arizona, mostly the Tucson area but a few in the Phoenix area. One fellow retired in Snowflake, AZ - a smaller, colder version of Prescott. Or they travel to Arizona for medical needs, shopping, to visit friends and family, etc. They seem more attracted to Arizona and tend to dislike Albuquerque and northern NM.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,953,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
Colorado is the last state of our neighbors I would want to be in; if I like cold and rough weather, I could have stayed in the Midwest!

Arizona reminds me of Florida in that it is the nations second largest "retirement home" ( Florida is number one ). With older people comes the desire for regulation, rules, control and all the things they had in the places they retired from, not my idea of freedom in the southwest. And what is with all the tourism traps on the reservations near the GC and Monument Valley? Kind of sad driving through there and seeing natives wearing Plains Tribe clothing with the fake teepees waving at the cars, trying to get me to stop at the places where things are for sale.

Texas is a mixed bag of tricks. I don't like the damp crowded parts of the state east of the Caprock, but once you get up on the Caprock, the dusty western sections are made for me.. Used to live in the "little texas" area of New Mexico and that name is correct, if it weren't for the signs at the state line, you wouldn't know you are in new Mexico.

Oklahoma is not in my thoughts at all, though the town of Boise City, east of where the state touches NM, is considered the "heart of the Great Depression Dust Bowl".

My vote is for Texas, if I have to pick any of them....!
I just wanted to comment on your remark about the Indians. That's how they make a living and that's the simplest explanation I can come up with. I don't think it's sad at all and they have some beautiful jewelry, NOT made in China.

I'm an Arizona native and I love Colorado and New Mexico. I have family roots in Colorado. New Mexico seems a lot like Arizona to me. Texas I don't have much experience with unless I count spending a few days in Galveston and just driving across the state. That felt like a lifetime spent on the road! lol Oklahoma I've only passed through as well but also have some family history there. I should go research.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 AM

702 posts, read 2,733,015 times
I think all surrounding states are better than New Mexico. Phoenix with its' Scottsdale and Tempe's Mill Ave, Denver with it's pleasant and vibrant downtown, Oklahoma City with it's up and coming brick town, and the Texas cities all have more going on. They have larger draws of young professionals because there are jobs and offer more of the "city" vibe that I'm looking for. Albuquerque is cool if you're looking to wind down and have a more relaxed lifestyle. I find myself reading more, exercising frequently, and staying home more often versus going out on the town.. all good in their own way.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:33 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,754,603 times
Quote:
The southern one-third to one-half of Colorado and the northern one-third to one-half of New Mexico probably have more in common with each other than either does to the remainder of their respective states, so it's not surprising that residents of those areas have some affinity for the neighboring state.
I don't disagree with you, and feel that many New Mexicans' would agree with your opinion as well. However, do you think folks in Colorado would feel the same about the relation and similarities to their southern neighbor. I have my doubts as most of the population centers in the state of Colorado feel more midwestern in appearance and many non-native folks in Colorado probably don't associate a historically Hispanic/ Native-American state with the more mainstream demographics of Colorado. However, I do think things start to really change once one hits Pueblo and points south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico