Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite bordering state of New Mexico
Arizona 21 23.86%
Colorado 49 55.68%
Oklahoma 2 2.27%
Texas 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 PM

10,746 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable view about our neighboring states? Which neighboring state do you like the most? Do you take vacations/weekend getaways in Colorado or Arizona? Do you get down to El Paso, or perhaps all the way to Dallas or elsewhere in Texas? Technically Oklahoma is a bordering state as well, though a small border far away from most of the state. If you've been to Chihuahua, Mexico you can include that in the discussion as well.

Mostly this will be a discussion about Texas, Arizona, and Colorado. How do you feel about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,386 times
I go to Texas the most because all of my siblings and their children and grandchildren live there in different locales. Will be spending Christmas in Abilene. Unfortunately they are ultraconservative and religious and drive me crazy (my relatives, not the entire state of Texas).

Old 11-23-2013, 01:50 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,571 times
I like Arizona (just not in the summer) and Colorado. I don't really care for most of Texas. I haven't spent any time in Oklahoma to know if I'd like it.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
This is a very simple way to ask a very complex question- you can answer it as a question of climate, or of culture.

I think most people will agree that when it comes to the border, Texas really is more like two states (the El Paso part and the panhandle part) with as much in common with each other as Arizona has with Colorado.

In terms of climate, most NM residents see little to envy about Texas- it's a shorter drive to warmer weather in Arizona or better snow in Colorado.

In terms of culture and temperament, Colorado is very similar to NM, with Arizona a little less so. New Mexicans tend to overlook ultraconservative culture in Arizona because Texas' brand tends to drown it out.

The history of Texas and New Mexico has been at odds since their creation. Even though the civil war took place 150 years ago, there are still undercurrents of animosity between the peoples of both states (probably more anti-Texas in NM than the reverse). To this day, we fight over water (since the Rio Grande basin has grown scarce, we owe them water due to some compact that never took that into account), and even over where the border is (stupid drunken survey crew gave Texas almost a mile that wasn't supposed to be theirs- not that big a deal until you consider we still to this day fight in court over oil royalties).

Most New Mexicans will agree that the eastern 1/3 of the state is more like Texas than even like the western 2/3. While in "little Texas", as it's called, I've heard many a half-joke about how the eastern third should secede to form part of Texas and how much worse off the rest of NM would be without it. My response shuts them up pretty quick- I ask them what makes them think Texas would take them?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:52 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,232 times
To the outside world, I believe most people lump in Arizona with New Mexico as its southwestern counterpart. No different than South with North Dakota, New Jersey with New York, or Oregon with Washington. However, based on cultural elements of the state I believe New Mexico's identity, albeit quite unique, is best aligned with neighboring Colorado.

However, to answer your question. I like Arizona the best!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 AM

My feelings on Texas; one thing is the vast majority of Texans live east of I-35, and considering its at least a 9-10 hour drive to Dallas-Fort Worth and even further beyond to Houston, San Antonio, and Austin. There is a lot of space in between the thick of large Texan settlements and New Mexico that to most of Texas, New Mexico isn't even on the radar to them. Point being, most anywhere in Texas that has anything interesting to me is pretty much a jet/plane flying distance and if I'm getting on a plane I can thing of more appealing places to go than Texas.

I haven't been to Amarillo, I've just seen the billboards for the Big Texan 72 oz. steak. Sounds kitschy and fun, but I won't do a four hour drive for it.

I've been to El Paso a few times. It's a blend of old Mexico, New Mexico and Texas. The downtown has good bones but really leaves something to be desired. Food there is pretty good, the nearby desert mountain ranges are scenic, and the people are very friendly. It's definitely got a big military presence, to the point where if you're from out of state locals have asked me if I'm in the service, as if why else would I be in El Paso. It's Mexican border town presence it is very palpable so it looks very sketchy in a lot of parts, but oddly enough feels safe. El Paso is so far from the rest of Texas though I don't really feel like visiting there means "I'm going to Texas" in the quintessential sense, though there are some Texan elements. Edge of Texas steakhouse right on the border on Hwy 54 is a good time , great people, and great food. I don't like the city and the area that much but the friendly people I've met there really hinder me from saying anything bad about the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Unfortunately they are ultraconservative and religious and drive me crazy (my relatives, not the entire state of Texas).
There is an undeniable large presence of that in many parts (not all) of Texas, especially considering the way many of them vote and its not something I really appreciate about the state at all. That and the cockiness and big egos about all things Texan, really hard for me to understand. There are many parts of Texas that are way out of my comfort zone for sure.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-23-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 05:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Hmmm. The results of the poll so far (CO waay ahead) do not surprise me.

When I first moved here 20+ years ago, one of the first things a native New Mexican told me about the regional 'relationships' was an old joke: Why do all of the trees in New Mexico lean to the east? Because Texas sucks and Arizona blows. Har har.

I would say that New Mexico, particularly northern and central parts, tend to look fondly at Colorado largely due to cultural connections (Hispano culture) and the familiarity of the high terrain.

The same can be said of eastern New Mexico and its relation to west Texas. I knew a guy from Hobbs and a couple from Lovington who really loved Texas. People I have met from Artesia and Roswell also strike me as being very close, culturally as well as geographically, to Texas.

Arizona, on the other hand, does not have as many fans in New Mexico. With very rare exception, most of the New Mexicans I have known with a special appreciation for Arizona have been Navajos. The reason for their special relationship should be obvious.

Personally, I like Colorado in general, Arizona for the unique aspects of its landscape, but not for the cities/culture, and Texas... well west Texas is not for me. East and southern Texas has its appeal but is so far away, I don't consider it germane to this question.

Oklahoma, while technically bordering New Mexico seems nearly as remote from day-day life in New Mexico as east Texas. Chihuahua has a much greater influence than Oklahoma.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:38 PM

426 posts, read 1,086,882 times
I like Flagstaff for it's cool/cold climate and crisp, fresh air, other than that I HATE Az.

Been to Denver and I liked it. Other parts of Colorado are nice too.

Love Texas. Especially Dallas. And the fact that Texas itself has multiple large cities.... nice.

Never been to Oklahoma.

I like Salt Lake City, UT and I could see myself living there.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Oh yeah that's right, we corner with Utah. Does that count? The southern part of the state has some pretty kick ass rockin scenery, other planetary like.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 PM

391 posts, read 906,514 times
IMO, most of Texas doesn't really think of El Paso as part of Texas, they think it's more Mexico or even New Mexico...in any case, it's just too Mexican-like for Texas tastes. I've heard this so much that it surprised me, shocked me, at first but now it's just...whatever. I like El Paso...don't want to live there, too big, but as a city I like it a lot.
El Paso is a friendly, very safe town..the FBI stats show the safety part.
On point, maybe S. Colorado is like or likes New Mexico. A lot of Arizonans don't like New Mexico...I"m not sure why, but I have suspicions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico