Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 03:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times

Advertisements

I like the tumbleweeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Default Housing Alternatives

There are alternatives to the housing shortage however. If a couple can possibly stand it, living in a Rv in the RV Parks locally. There are many to choose from. In at least two RV Parks that I know of, there are dwellers who work for the New Mexico State Highway Department, which is an option. Local rv parks in T or C and Elephant Butte range in price from $90.00 per month, all the way up to about $230.00 per month, and the cost for electric useage is additionally about 15 cents per kilowatt hour. Most electric bills in a rv park can cost up to about $115.00 a month, if one uses an air conditioner, or swamp cooler in summer, and those who rely on electric space heaters in the winter months can expect about the same cost. It is actually, cheaper than owning a home, or renting an apartment, but, living in a rv full time? the walls can close in awfully fast. For 2 people, it's not that bad. With a family of 3 or more, it could be a problem. I see that most rv parks fill up in the winter with snowbirds, and these people are usually retired, on pensions, and are sometimes over the age of 62. If people relocate to T or C to help build and run these new businesses, I would think that living in a rv would only be a temporary thing. There is a lot of real estate for sale in the area. Thanks for the nice compliment about the thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Yeap you'd think someone would get with the program and build housing out there as obviously there will be a demand for it in the near future.

Nice thread highdesertmutz .

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 07-23-2008 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: misspelled wording

Old 07-23-2008, 04:42 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,042 times
I agree, this is an interesting thread. I also agree that these are extremely "interesting times", as the ancient Chinese curse describes. Tough and complex National (and international) economic woes poorly addressed by both major American political parties and little creative insight from any significant player...except from perhaps T. Boone Pickins, of late. Damned if you do and damned if you don't; gotta high five you 6/3 on that observation bro. But something HAS to give here eventually it seems to me. Just consider the physical potential of this place, if nothing else. Consider its reasonable proximity to all the rest of the Southwestern economic hubs and cities; access is there. Weather is attractive year-round. Of course there are a few degenerates and misanthropes but these are very small problems in the greater picture. The place has legs...someone is eventually going to light this candle I'm quite certain!

I'm not a long time resident, friend highdesertmutz, only a property owner of a few acres in TorC. We would have been there by now but a confluence of setbacks have delayed us. My son recently tore his meniscus and had to have surgery yesterday for it. Though in considerable pain he seems to be healing...which is more than I can say for my gimped right hand. Medical bills are climbing towards the clouds. My surgery to correct this hand will have to be delayed because of money and other concerns. My son comes first...I am his shield and his armor, at least at this point in his life. It's been a very tough year so far. So...no...we are not presently in TorC. We still hope to be by next Summer.

Regarding the snakes, actually they do not engender fear. They are what they are. I'll avoid them if I can and respect their right to exist in the habitat they evolved in millions of years before man ever set foot in the American Southwest. Perhaps a certain snake has my number and has been briefed on my intended arrival plans and we have a date with destiny , perhaps not...we shall see. In any event, "Live well and prosper", as our Vulcan friend, Spock, so famously states

Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Yes...somewhere Gene is smiling

Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times
I second Clairz. I bought myself the Rebel XT as well. Great price at Amazon and with an accessory kit from another company on there- i'm ready to go. I can shoot in excess of 1000 shots before unloading. I not only adore the lenses (a friend calls my camera "Camzilla" lol) but with the three frames a second, it REALLY helps with the horse pics- they're not known for standing still when you need them to...

Old 07-24-2008, 03:41 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Sweet Carolina....just wanted to say those were all great photo's you posted !!!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:37 AM

Default This Really Happened a Long and Short Story

In the spring of 2006, my wife and I were homeless, and living in a conversion van. We bounced around from place to place because rv parks wouldn't have us. We originally started our stays at Elephant Butte Lake State Park, but soon wore out our welcome there because a camphost volunteer passed by our van one morning, and our 'ol mutt ran out to her barking at her. She told us in so many words that she could have us removed from the park. Our mutt was not a viscious one, just a bit protective, he was 14 years old. We had to do some negotiating and wrangling to get a voucher to use at another campground because we were going to leave the Butte. They gave us a hard time. So, we ended up at City of Rocks state park, and burned up our remaining voucher there. We visited Silver City, it's nice. Well, we discovered Gila National Forest. I went to the Ranger Station in T or C and obtained a Golden Access Pass, which meant, a retired or disabled person can utilize any National Forest or Grassland Free of any charges. I thought this was fantastic, since camp fees at State Parks are about $14.00 a day. We meandered thru the Cibola National Forest, which isn't far from T or C either, but one really has to 'rough it' in Cibola. We went back to Gila National Forest, and just off Hwy. 152 is Upper Gallinas camprground. We picked out what we thought was the best spot in the whole campground. I unloaded our conversion van, we had provisions to last about 1 1/2 weeks, a electric generator, 15 gallons of drinking water, pots, pans, cookstove, bbq grill, and so forth. It was early morning the next day after setting up, and I made my java on our 3 burner propane stove, while my wife was wiping the sleep from her eyes. After she exited the van, I put the skillet on a burner and began to make breakfast. The winds were starting to kick up, and squirrels were playing tag with each other on the ground and in the big oak tree I parked under. Well, the wind velocity picked up even more, and at one point, I was considering moving the van because watching the limbs sway on the massive oak appeared a bit threatening, and then lightening bolted from the sky. A hurried breakfast was in order. So, I've just finished frying eggs, when a big gust came along and blew a squirrel out of the tree, as it landed on the ground beside me, I heard it go eehh. I thought perhaps the fall knocked the wind out of it, and assumed it would wake up and be ok. Not. After about 45 minutes, I gave it a poke with a stick, nothing. We gave it a less than dignified burial, disposal in a bear proof waste receptacle. We spent most of the day inside of the conversion van because it was soooo windy, granola bars and canned things for lunch and dinner. Our 3 burner stove ended up on the ground, as did most everything else we placed on the picnic table.
After the first part of August, the winds usually calm down for a couple of months, and sightseeing is at it's best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
I agree, this is an interesting thread. I also agree that these are extremely "interesting times", as the ancient Chinese curse describes. Tough and complex National (and international) economic woes poorly addressed by both major American political parties and little creative insight from any significant player...except from perhaps T. Boone Pickins, of late. Damned if you do and damned if you don't; gotta high five you 6/3 on that observation bro. But something HAS to give here eventually it seems to me. Just consider the physical potential of this place, if nothing else. Consider its reasonable proximity to all the rest of the Southwestern economic hubs and cities; access is there. Weather is attractive year-round. Of course there are a few degenerates and misanthropes but these are very small problems in the greater picture. The place has legs...someone is eventually going to light this candle I'm quite certain!

I'm not a long time resident, friend highdesertmutz, only a property owner of a few acres in TorC. We would have been there by now but a confluence of setbacks have delayed us. My son recently tore his meniscus and had to have surgery yesterday for it. Though in considerable pain he seems to be healing...which is more than I can say for my gimped right hand. Medical bills are climbing towards the clouds. My surgery to correct this hand will have to be delayed because of money and other concerns. My son comes first...I am his shield and his armor, at least at this point in his life. It's been a very tough year so far. So...no...we are not presently in TorC. We still hope to be by next Summer.

Regarding the snakes, actually they do not engender fear. They are what they are. I'll avoid them if I can and respect their right to exist in the habitat they evolved in millions of years before man ever set foot in the American Southwest. Perhaps a certain snake has my number and has been briefed on my intended arrival plans and we have a date with destiny , perhaps not...we shall see. In any event, "Live well and prosper", as our Vulcan friend, Spock, so famously states

Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
I hope you have found a home by now, and are doing better. I was in your situation once.. but I had 3 small kids at the time and it was not fun at all. We lived out of a GEO Metro. Was the scariest time of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
In the spring of 2006, my wife and I were homeless, and living in a conversion van. We bounced around from place to place because rv parks wouldn't have us.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 PM

This thread gets more interesting and colorful by the day! We, too, may have to do the RV bit for awhile if we EVER get down to TorC to stay. These medical "events" have greatly surpassed our insurance coverage since our deductibles are high. We've scaled back on superfluous trips and toys quite a bit of late. It's no matter, it is what it is and there's no running from responsibility and exigent circumstances; gotta suck it up and take it on the chin and move on. That's life.
We probably should not bother with a short trip to southern NM this season, considering our mounting expenses, but we really need the break from this city and the recent stresses. We've found that even over-nighters can alleviate a helluva lot of anxiety and anguish when "done right" .....So a few days hitting some lovely territory down south is just what Dr. Feelgood prescribes!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Smile You Sound Like.....

You sound like someone I've known in the past, a divorcee, and I don't mean gay divorcee either, there was nothing gay about her time spent in a small car with 3 children. She'd drop the kids at school, go find a service station bathroom, wash up, and go do her 8 hours of work, and used to pick up the children at a friend house at the end of the day. I've heard this cliche before, 'things can't get ant worse than they already are, things can only get better'. doesn't always seem like a true statement or phrase, or a fair one. I recall one time she was in the parking lot of a city park, and the PD made their rounds after dark and made her move her location, and ended up parking on a city street somewhere. Life isn't always fair at all. sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches. She finally received some assistance from GOV programs to help her and children find a place, and put food in their bellies, she was furniture poor. She endured and came out ok eventually, but it was a struggle for her and children. I know what you're speaking of, even though I didn't have children when we became homeless. We're pluggin' along, and are doing much better than we were 3 years ago. appreciate your thoughts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I hope you have found a home by now, and are doing better. I was in your situation once.. but I had 3 small kids at the time and it was not fun at all. We lived out of a GEO Metro. Was the scariest time of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico