Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:54 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

No. A single train from the UES to midtown west will be very useful. I'm hoping that even if / after the drive it all the way down to Hanover Square, they keep a line crossing over to the west side.

In the end, I think a line crossing west will be more useful / popular than the line going straight down the east side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Once it makes it to 125th them i can view it as useable.
Cause what it is right now it just a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 08:00 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
86th street on the Lexington Avenue Line is the 10th busiest station in the system and 77th street is the 28th busiest. The first phase man not make an astronomical difference, but I wouldn't call it a waste.

If you want to call something a waste look at 34-Hudson yards lol.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:08 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
86th street on the Lexington Avenue Line is the 10th busiest station in the system and 77th street is the 28th busiest. The first phase man not make an astronomical difference, but I wouldn't call it a waste.

Nah bruh. Hudson Yards is about to be packed with people once all those buildings are constructed. Gotta be like 20 buildings under construction right now. It's gonna be real nice

Old 10-17-2016, 02:27 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Tying Paris Back Together
The French capital has embarked on the most ambitious new subway project in the Western world.

Here begins the most ambitious new subway project in the Western world. The extension of Line 14 is but the first leg of the Grand Paris Express, a $25 billion expansion of the century-old Paris Métro. By the time the project is completed in 2030, the system will have gained four lines, 68 stations, and more than 120 miles of track. Planners estimate that the build-out will boost the entire network’s ridership by almost 40 percent.
Paris Expands the Métro - The Atlantic

Old 10-17-2016, 02:29 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Kind of is, because the Upper East side is pretty much the only dying neighborhood in Manhattan (falling rents & decrease in population). Then again, people will argue that this is because of the transportation problem and that SAS will fix what's wrong
I wouldn't characterize the UES as dying. It might not be as desirable as other parts of the city but it's still a very desirable neighborhood for families.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:33 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
If I had money, I would take Upper East Side over Tribeca anyday. The tranquility on East End Ave is a rare treasure in Manhattan.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Riiiigggght, dying. Sure.

Someone should tell that to the developers who are putting up high rises like weeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Kind of is, because the Upper East side is pretty much the only dying neighborhood in Manhattan (falling rents & decrease in population). Then again, people will argue that this is because of the transportation problem and that SAS will fix what's wrong

Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Once it makes it to 125th them i can view it as useable.
Cause what it is right now it just a waste.
It's already usable to the people who live on UES and even people who live within walking distance in East Harlem (the dividing line is 96th Street). That why UES and East Harlem residents can take one train to Midtown West without transferring. Or have an alternate train to go to Union Square or Canal Street.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
One remembers the late economist Dick Netzer arguing for a Second Avenue Light Rail, as a cost-cutting alternative to the subway! This was before the Select Bus Service was born!

Now, yes, Netzer was a fiscal conservative, and yes, he was part of the Municipal Assistance Corporation in the late 70s, a board charged with getting New York out of the Fiscal Crisis!

Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post

It makes a lot more sense for them to have built that out first rather than wait until it got way more expensive and difficult to build once all those highrises in place. It's one of the perhaps rare examples of the city actually coordinating itself to do something right, or right-ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Well, for some reason, these rapid transit expansion costs are usually much more expensive per mile in the US than in other developed countries, so it's not looking like we'd get anything quite as grand until that gets figured out.

Anyhow, there are a handful of holy grail projects that would much improve transit in NYC. I think the greatest of them is interoperable LIRR/Metro-North/NJT Rail lines that go through-running in the terminals rather than idling and going back, building a few infill stations for them in dense urban areas, getting a joint fare tap card for the subway and these systems, expanding frequencies especially during off-peak and making a tunnel going from the Grand Central terminus down through downtown Manhattan and then under and over to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn.

Oh, and maybe the Triboro RX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City