Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 11:11 AM

349 posts, read 990,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So the sun will to some extent heat up the car via the metal body, and so a dark body makes some difference, but it's the car interior we're talking about here. The larger contributor is I believe the windows, which pass short wavelength solar radiation in, and can't easily pass the "red-shifted" radiation back out - that's the greenhouse effect. Finally, if the upholstery is dark, it can be hotter than the interior generally, as it will then be soaking up much of that energy trapped inside.

Thanks, so what's the solution to this greenhouse effect? I also feel the upholstery is a moderate "contributor" to general heat, but not really the cause of the targeted sunlight problem, which is -- like you said -- is more of a window problem. (But then again, why didn't it happen to such an extent in other cars, just Nissan Altima?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 12:46 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
Thanks, so what's the solution to this greenhouse effect? I also feel the upholstery is a moderate "contributor" to general heat, but not really the cause of the targeted sunlight problem, which is -- like you said -- is more of a window problem. (But then again, why didn't it happen to such an extent in other cars, just Nissan Altima?)
Besides leaving the windows and sunroof cracked to let some of that hot air out, I think the best approach would be something like these WeatherTech reflective sunshades. The strategy they have is to try to avoid the redshift in the scattered/re-emitted radiation with the silvery reflective surface, and send it right back out again. Note that they have them not only for the windshield, but also a whole vehicle kit. This won't work perfectly, but I can see it helping a good deal.
https://www.weathertech.com/sunshade/

Old 05-11-2022, 12:48 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
The overall shape/geometry of the car could play into this. The angle at which more sun hits the interior (including that dark upholstery) through the glass would affect how much heat it ends up absorbing. Body panels contain more insulating material than glass. If the windows and windshield are smaller and more vertically oriented, there's less glass surface area overhead sun can hit directly. So, the glass transmits less heat. An example that might help what I'm clumsily trying to suggest. Think about a early model VW bus. It was a minimally rounded box, with very vertical windshield and relatively smaller windows. Most of the direct sun would hit the roof, not the glass. It might keep that van slightly cooler than something like a 90s era Ford Aerostar minivan with its huge, shallowly sloped windshield and windows that exposed more of the dash, the upholstery, and the driver to more direct sun. Think of the "fishbowl" Pacer. Almost more glass than metal. Don't know if you've ever ridden in either one. They were ovens! The whole front part of those vans just cooked.

So, what to do? The fixes are fairly simple. If the car's too hot, put shades in the windows and windshield while its parked. You might try laying light colored sheets over the dark upholstery. While driving, if you aren't using the AC, open the windows part way. There's probably a combination of cracking rear and front windows that creates just the right amount of airflow to cool the cabin without you needing to sit in a gale and reducing the car's aerodynamics. IME with my various cars, trial and error usually helped me find each of their airflow sweet spots. I'm one of the old fogeys who miss the days when car windows were equipped with wind wings and wish they'd make a comeback. Crack one of those slightly and they cooled things down by directing fresh air right where it was needed; the driver and the dash.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-11-2022 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-11-2022, 01:22 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Tint your windows. It makes a difference

Old 05-11-2022, 02:00 PM

349 posts, read 990,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Besides leaving the windows and sunroof cracked to let some of that hot air out, I think the best approach would be something like these WeatherTech reflective sunshades. The strategy they have is to try to avoid the redshift in the scattered/re-emitted radiation with the silvery reflective surface, and send it right back out again. Note that they have them not only for the windshield, but also a whole vehicle kit. This won't work perfectly, but I can see it helping a good deal.
https://www.weathertech.com/sunshade/

But you can't drive with these, they're opaque, right?

Old 05-11-2022, 02:33 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
I can't really figure it out. I can tint my windows but I don't want them to be dark, so I'd have to go with like a 70-80% tint, I don't know if that would be enough. All I want is to drive normally in the car I have now. Any ideas what's going on?
The newer ceramic tints actually have high heat rejection values without being too dark.

As you can see here with Llumar's offerings. A very light 80% tint with their Air series rejects nearly 3 times as much heat as a dyed tint at 5% (limo tint) levels.
https://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/na_auto_specs_l1748.pdf

I had that Air 80 put on a windshield and it made a huge difference. Prior to that the black leather interior and chrome surfaces like on the shifter were scalding. And it was near undetectable. Except if you were wearing polarized sunglasses, in which case you got that double polarization color shift that would make tires look purple and such.

Last edited by notnamed; 05-11-2022 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-11-2022, 04:09 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Different route. Have you checked your cabin air filter? Have you put the AC on recirculating?

Old 05-11-2022, 04:59 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
But you can't drive with these, they're opaque, right?
Yes, this is for while the car is sitting parked, but while it's moving, you've got the A/C running, so it shouldn't be real hot then. As BostonMike said, another radiation barrier method would be getting tinted windows. You want all the UV blocked - that's energetic and doesn't contribute to vision, and it wouldn't hurt for NIR, IR to be blocked either... you can have some of the visible spectrum blocked, but of course you can't compromise visibility too much or it won't be safe to drive in low light conditions.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:03 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Different theories here:

https://news.wisc.edu/curiosities-do...t-colored-car/

Old 05-11-2022, 05:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
The OP can always install air deflectors over each window. Then he can leave the windows slightly opened if parked at home, or work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti