Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 94,336 times

Advertisements

Worrying about Not passing a DMV eye test is something a lot of older folks are going to face . Because age does effect the eyes, So all you young people or people with perfect vision with the wise cracks , "just wait" But there is a BIG difference between not seeing a letter on a chart and something coming at you in the road. I don't think anyone is asking should a blind person drive , but the question is , will the DMV allow a retest? the answer is "it depends" ON how bad your vision is , and can it be corrected. anyone worried about not passing should just simply have their eye's tested before the DMV appt. and make any correction needed to pass the test. if you need to wear glasses to pass the test it will just be noted on your License.

DMV tests distance, So if you need to wear glasses to read there is no reason to think you would not pass the test since reading glasses only help for seeing up close.

The DMV is not going to try to trick anyone , So the bottom line is can you pass the MIN. the law requires. and any Doctor can tell you that . you could try some home test with someone you know has Good vision. if you are with in a few feet "of this person" before things come in focus, you should be OK, But once again the bottom line is can you pass the MIN. which I think every individual all ready knows. So just make the corrections needed to pass the Test and save your self all the worrying .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyemale View Post
Worrying about Not passing a DMV eye test is something a lot of older folks are going to face . Because age does effect the eyes, So all you young people or people with perfect vision with the wise cracks , "just wait" But there is a BIG difference between not seeing a letter on a chart and something coming at you in the road. I don't think anyone is asking should a blind person drive , but the question is , will the DMV allow a retest? the answer is "it depends" ON how bad your vision is , and can it be corrected. anyone worried about not passing should just simply have their eye's tested before the DMV appt. and make any correction needed to pass the test. if you need to wear glasses to pass the test it will just be noted on your License.

DMV tests distance, So if you need to wear glasses to read there is no reason to think you would not pass the test since reading glasses only help for seeing up close.

The DMV is not going to try to trick anyone , So the bottom line is can you pass the MIN. the law requires. and any Doctor can tell you that . you could try some home test with someone you know has Good vision. if you are with in a few feet "of this person" before things come in focus, you should be OK, But once again the bottom line is can you pass the MIN. which I think every individual all ready knows. So just make the corrections needed to pass the Test and save your self all the worrying .

Great tips and suggestions

Another way to test your vision is close one eye and try to read signage on foot then try it with the other eye.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 AM

8 posts, read 391,046 times
Default NC Vision Test Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngal2 View Post
What I need to do is call the DMV and ask them if he can wear his reading glasses, eh? I'm not making myself very clear, am I?
The NC vision test is for distance vision only. If he needs reading glasses to fill out forms, they ignore that. It's when he tries to read the numbers/letters during the vision test that matters. Only then if he needs glasses/contacts to pass the test will they note corrective lens required for driving on the license. Glasses for reading only are irrelevant. And the vision requirements require that you see at least 20/40 in one eye.

I'm the one who started this thread and have learned *a lot* about the NC drivers license vision requirements. My wife failed even with her contact lens so she had to get a form from her ophthalmologist (must be NC licensed doctor) stating that she can see well enough to pass the 20/40 test in one eye. Since she has kerotoconus, she had to retake the driving portion of the driver's test. If she didn't have kerotoconus she wouldn't have had to take the driving part again. They would have issued her license based on the previous testing (signs, etc.) and the form from her doctor.

Doug

Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 89,334 times
Okay so I just came from the CRABBIEST DMV on ARROWOOD DR in Charlotte,... I got into a huge disagreement with the tester..I went for a renewal for DL. She asked me...Do you wear Glasses when you Drive...I Said NO..I said I have reading glasses for reading . She said, again, DO YOU WEAR GLASSES WHEN YOU DRIVE? I repiled NO again...so she had me take the vision and sign test..She wanted me to read line 1...I could see it but not make out the letters..I told her..she said read line 6 which was a replica of line 1..I said NO I cannot see it ..she had me take the sign test which was on the same page..I got every sign correct..we went back to the vision..I said to her ..I need to put on my reading glasses to see the small and I do mean small print..she got very hostile and said..YOU ARE GOING TO FAIL TODAY..you cannot read the lines..I said I can read line 2, 3 or 4...without my glasses but I need the "READING GLASSES" to read the print in line 1. She said "YOU told me you did not wear glasses to drive!" I said..Once again... "I do not wear reading glasses to drive they would distort your vision!" She said put the GLASSES ON..and take the test...So I did and she said I passed and PUT A RESTRICTION ON MY DRIVERS LICENSE...now I am calling Raleigh tomorrow...I do always have my reading glasses on to READ..but anyone know you cannot see out the window of the car with Reading glasses on....What is everyones opinion on this??

Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Default NC DMV offices

There is a great deal of difference between how each of the DMV offices handle applicants for license renewal. We found out the hard way but now drive all the way to the office near Newton since their examiners really treat you like a person. We've had one office fail a person on the driver test because the person didn't go faster than the speed limit to not slow down a car behind them. The examiner wanted the applicant to break the law and failed her when she didn't!

That was only one of the problems with the examiner. When my wife went to take the driving test after getting the report from her ophthalmologist that she had 20-40 vision, the examiner told her what day was the soonest she could come back for a re-exam. She had already told her she was going to fail before she even started the test! When she saw that my wife was upset, she said "you can report me to Raleigh if you want to!" She knew nothing would be done to her.

We need a place to list the "good" and "bad" DMV offices so the bad ones will get no business and can be closed. Hopefully the examiners at the closed ones will loose their jobs. They seem to relish their power.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amore1025 View Post
she said I passed and PUT A RESTRICTION ON MY DRIVERS LICENSE...now I am calling Raleigh tomorrow...I do always have my reading glasses on to READ..but anyone know you cannot see out the window of the car with Reading glasses on....What is everyones opinion on this??
You can get the restriction removed by getting a form from the DMV (go to another DMV office) that can be filled out by your ophthalmologist (must be an MD, not an optometrist) stating that you have at least 20-40 in one eye uncorrected. Then take the form back to the DMV and they will get you a new license without the restriction.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngal2 View Post
Hi all, I'm new here. It's time for my hubby to renew his driver's license and he's fearful he'll fail the vision test.

If he does fail it, would he get a second chance, or would he have to have an eye exam first?

Annnnnnd, if he failed it and drove anyway -- what would happen to him if he got caught?
He could kill himself or someone else and you're worried about a ticket?

Are you so unaware of the danger you would allow him to drive, regardless of what any DMV has to say?

Old 11-06-2010, 12:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Yo he should not wait until the day his old license expire to take the test. Then if he fails he can legally drive to the eye doctor and get glasses to correct the problem and then reapply..No big deal The restriction just means he needs glasses to drive....Bottom line is if a person cant pass the test he cant drive. Its a privilege you apply for not a right.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 90,302 times
I'm so .I passed my written test for my learners permit but I failed the vision test. Do I have to take the eye test over after I see my doctor? The women at the license asked me to read a row of letters ,which I did fine but when she asked me if I saw a flashing light anywhere I didn't and she failed me. Does anyone know what flashing light in the eye machine she's talking about?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 AM

The flashing light is supposed to test peripheral vision so you might want to have your eye doctor check yours. The light would be near the sides or edges of the test screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina