Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:34 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,299,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
then vote.
Unless you're poor, a college student, or need to use early voting.

I'd also call bull**** on the claim that the majority of North Carolinians are in support of attempts to create a state religion or to increase taxes for everyone but the wealthy. Weren't we supposed to electing "Moderate McCrory?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
By the way, this is simple Accounting 101. It is like comparing a fixed expense (little ability to control) to a variable expense (greater ability to control).
And for someone to be better at it to you is like saying someone is better at singing their ABCs. The basics are the basics no matter how long you've been around.

Experience is a different story but with the chance of success comes the chance to make the same mistakes and never learn.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Just like some people don't like Obama, will never like Obama, or will never support his policies! The GOP in the GA want to run roughshod over everyone but when there is any kind of pushback to their tyranny, then the those who oppose them are in the wrong!
People keep dumbing down that word by abusing it just like the government likes to do with "terrorism".

If you really believe that fine but I don't think the people in the middle believe it and it's sure hard to compromise with someone when being accused of that.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
One developing story is that the numbers of protesters have been increasing as SEIU chapter president George Gresham got involved.

NAACP protest against North Carolina GOP policies draws 1,000 | abc11.com

When outside groups begin bringing people in, then protests become tiresome to local residents and the eye-rolling stage begins. That's one reason why the Occupy movement became a running joke after a while.
Interesting. Any idea how many people he brought with him? Who invited him if anyone? I found this also interesting from that article:

"The NAACP chapter president, the Rev. William Barber, has said his group is researching challenges to those arrests based in part on constitutional provisions that say citizens have a right to "instruct" their legislators."

I assume he means the right to petition but he should try to use constitutional words when talking constitutional provisions. And like everything else there are limits. You can't petition anywhere at anytime you please and there's nothing in the constitution that says they have to listen or act.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Unless you're poor, a college student, or need to use early voting.

I'd also call bull**** on the claim that the majority of North Carolinians are in support of attempts to create a state religion or to increase taxes for everyone but the wealthy. Weren't we supposed to electing "Moderate McCrory?"
Need? And when early voting exists does anyone need earlier voting than that? And earlier voting than the earlier voting? Where do you draw the line? I'm not taking a position on the issue but it sounds like if the community cares so much the community should be making sure these people vote and that includes helping with an absentee ballot if needed. If you can't get your act together to make sure this gets done one single time to throw out the GOP and bring it back then the movement is pretty lame.

I can B.S. on your B.S. You are a partisan. You are not here to debate or exchange ideas in hopes to make a change. You are here to push a one sided agenda.

I know this because you insist that someone attempted to create a state religion and that the tax proposals do not reduce burden for all in some ways and increase them for all in others.

Taxes can be nuanced and perhaps you are being esoteric in your claim but the religion thing is only believed the way you state by those trained to obey without question.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:11 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,551 times
Quote:
First of all, you do not know my background, so to assume so would make you to be a fool. For your information, I have equity ownership in several business, I have a very good understanding of corporate tax and have also worked in senior management for a major global corporation. I have also been involved in the consolidation of business units from several states in which we ran assessments of overall cost advantages/disadvantages when comparing states (including tax burdens). As for politicians, they will direct business as to what favors them personally. As a business person, I would make decisions based on what is right for my business.

This really isn't rocket science. Tax can be one of your largest expenses as a business. If you have the ability to gain greater control over expenses and/or have a lesser burden, it becomes a simple decision. Read my last post again. It isn't really that hard to understand.
Thanks for proving my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
But the reality of the situation is this: the General Assembly is not doing anything illegal and they were voted in by the people of N.C., it's just that simple - and probably the majority of N.C. supports the G.A. If you don't agree with their actions, then vote. If you vote, and the G.A. remains in Republican hands, then oh well.
Actually several things they've passed, like reducing Medicaid eligibility below 150% FPL are in violation of federal law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Need? And when early voting exists does anyone need earlier voting than that? And earlier voting than the earlier voting? Where do you draw the line?
Well let's not assume we'll always have early voting.

Last edited by J. Pederman; 06-08-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 PM

564 posts, read 873,648 times
[quote=J. Pederman;29933823]Thanks for proving my point.

Just proving that you have no idea what you are talking about. You seem to shoot your mouth off before actually knowing the facts.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 PM

564 posts, read 873,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
There's a reason Art Pope was against the sales tax hike, and regardless of his politics, he knows more about basic economics and running a business than you.
By the way, let's see you and Art Pope (who has a political reason to back a particular position) explain how so many other states operate with lower income tax rates and greater revenue from sales tax happen to make it work successfully, yet you hold a position that this would be detrimental for North Carolina. Better yet, explain how states like Texas, Florida, South Dakota, Nevada, etc. actually have zero state income tax, but are able to run their state governments/services without the poor dying in the streets.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,376 times
The Voter ID law is so watered down that there really isn't anything to complain about, there are probably 100s types of IDs that can be used and of all the "Voter ID" laws nationwide it is probably the weakest one.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:40 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,551 times
Quote:
By the way, let's see you and Art Pope (who has a political reason to back a particular position) explain how so many other states operate with lower income tax rates and greater revenue from sales tax happen to make it work successfully, yet you hold a position that this would be detrimental for North Carolina. Better yet, explain how states like Texas, Florida, South Dakota, Nevada, etc. actually have zero state income tax, but are able to run their state governments/services without the poor dying in the streets.
All those states are either in serious financial trouble, having cut services to the point people are actually dying in the street, or in the case of SD going through an energy boom that's going to end in a few years. Again, thanks for proving my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina