Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,299,422 times

Advertisements

A coalition of community activists, civil rights groups, and churches have been leading weekly marches on the General Assembly. I'm proud to say I've been able to be a part of a couple of these.

Dozens have been arrested, thousands have gathered, against the repressive proposals coming out of the General Assembly. These are proposals to restrict minority and college student voting, increase taxes on everyone except the rich, and deny children Medicare to name a few.

Here's an awesome video documenting the most recent gathering.

"We Will Not Stop!" | 5th Wave Moral Monday - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,693 times
It'll be interesting to see whether they can keep the momentum going into next year. The state Dems claim to have a three-cycle plan for taking the state back, but donors aren't interested in waiting that long for results. Absent that money, they'll need grassroots organization.

The protests themselves are starting to pick up national attention; they're at the tipping point where they can either further leverage the momentum or peter out. The question remains if they build on the increased profile, where do they go from just protests?

Last edited by J. Pederman; 06-07-2013 at 12:24 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 05:28 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
Perhaps if those protesting had jobs and had to work on Monday, they would feel differently.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Perhaps if those protesting had jobs and had to work on Monday, they would feel differently.

Uh yeah, I think that's part of the point. If the legislature would focus more on the economy and less on screwing over the little guy, the protesters might be able to find jobs.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,200,140 times
Quote:
Unintentional irony loller.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:40 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
It'll be interesting to see whether they can keep the momentum going into next year. The state Dems claim to have a three-cycle plan for taking the state back, but donors aren't interested in waiting that long for results. Absent that money, they'll need grassroots organization.

The protests themselves are starting to pick up national attention; they're at the tipping point where they can either further leverage the momentum or peter out. The question remains if they build on the increased profile, where do they go from just protests?
Agreed. But does that mean the idea is to keep the base motivated more than getting the laws changed? Because I don't see the laws changing and Pat keeps saying no one will meet with him when the cameras aren't rolling.

What is clear about this assembly is they aren't even listening to local governments much. They've got their list and they are going through it. Doesn't seem stoppable once it's in the chamber.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,687 times
All I have to say is that I applaud their efforts! To me it shows that somebody actually gives a damn, whether you agree with their politics or not! I work on Mondays so I can't participate, but I'm all for what the protestors are doing! 2014 can't get here fast enough, we need to vote these idiots out of office! That said, make sure you use that same energy at the voting booth as well!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 06-07-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
All I have to say is that I applaud their efforts! To me it shows that somebody actually gives a damn, whether you agree with their politics or not! I work on Mondays so I can't participate, but I'm all for what the protestors are doing! 2014 can't get here quick enough, we need to vote these idiots out of office! That said, make sure you use that same energy at the voting booth as well!
That begs the question how much is too much? Would they be choosing illegal protest methods if they could get media attention without breaking the law? If so, why break it? If not, will they escalate when coverage dies down?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:15 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,641 times
The District Attorney of Wake County (a Democrat) has spoken against these protests. These protesters are clogging the court system and jails.

Why not obtain a legal way to protest? How about getting a permit to march or hold a rally instead?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 PM

564 posts, read 873,720 times
Quote:
I am glad to see changes taking place. The personal tax rates are too high when you compare the rest of the region. We need to do something to drive job growth and taxes is a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina