Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 07:42 PM

5,167 posts, read 7,376,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Bojangles is undertaking a massive nationwide expansion. But unless they quickly find a way to ensure consistent quality control, the franchise is gonna fall flat on its face outside of the Carolinas. All of its Maryland restaurants recently closed because of horrible service and food quality. The Washington Post reviewed the restaurant and found it horrible, based on the subpar Maryland locations. Even North Carolinians are reported abysmal food at Many locations.
Yes a strong franchisee is needed to maintain quality control. The Maryland franchise had poor management, and one of the closed locations was a former Roy Rogers, which had good management back in the Marriott days. And outside of the southeast, Popeyes is more familiar and preferred. But I do enjoy a good, well managed Bojangles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 01:56 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,508,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Eh.

I live in the heart of Weggies country. I wouldn’t get that excited unless you’re into the bakery and prepared foods (although it’s costly as heck). Otherwise, grocery stores are more alike than different. There’s some house brand items I like a lot, but I also find they’re not laid out very intuitively.

At least it's the cheapest grocery store in town! Other than Walmart, which isn't reaaally a grocery store.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:00 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
However, the new Bojangles model in Florida, Texas and Ohio does not feature their famous bone in fried chicken, but rather upgraded chicken tenders and the improved chicken sandwich. And fewer sides. I hope they keep the dirty rice. While I appreciate the upgraded chicken tenders, the new model does not represent a traditional Bojangles. They are trying to be like PBQ, Slim Chickens or Raising Canes. Not sure what the Los Angeles format will be.
Where it again has fallen flat on its collective face. When the new locations opened in Central Florida people swarmed to them only to be stunned by the removal of bone-in chicken from the menu. The chicken tender market is flooded with competition and dumbing down their menu to compete in that segment versus the relatively tiny bone-in chicken market with KFC and Popeyes as the only relevant major players was profoundly stupid as evidenced by the lukewarm response. That has opened the door for Church's which has rebranded to Church's Texas Chicken and is improving their image to compete with KFC and Popeyes. Results have been more favorable than Bojangles apparently.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:08 PM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
At least it's the cheapest grocery store in town! Other than Walmart, which isn't reaaally a grocery store.
Not fans here.
We find better value at Harris Teeter.
And had a very poor experience with online shopping and curbside pickup with Wegmans.

Old 04-20-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Where it again has fallen flat on its collective face. When the new locations opened in Central Florida people swarmed to them only to be stunned by the removal of bone-in chicken from the menu. The chicken tender market is flooded with competition and dumbing down their menu to compete in that segment versus the relatively tiny bone-in chicken market with KFC and Popeyes as the only relevant major players was profoundly stupid as evidenced by the lukewarm response. That has opened the door for Church's which has rebranded to Church's Texas Chicken and is improving their image to compete with KFC and Popeyes. Results have been more favorable than Bojangles apparently.
Yes removing bone in fried chicken seems like a mistake. They don't need to be another Raising Canes, Slim Chickens or Zaxby's. Their core identity for Bojangles has always been seasoned bone in fried chicken and fresh biscuits. Although I have heard their upgraded chicken tenders are a better product than their legacy Chicken Supremes at the original locations, so that would be the only improvement that should be implemented system wide.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:13 AM

5,902 posts, read 6,974,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not fans here.
We find better value at Harris Teeter.
And had a very poor experience with online shopping and curbside pickup with Wegmans.
We like Wegman's and wish they were closer. You can certainly spend a lot of money there, but I think their store brands are cheaper than the HT/Kroger ones. It is a fun place to shop. Some of their baked deserts look like they are out of a magazine shoot. I was not impressed with the food court.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:24 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,447,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes removing bone in fried chicken seems like a mistake. They don't need to be another Raising Canes, Slim Chickens or Zaxby's. Their core identity for Bojangles has always been seasoned bone in fried chicken and fresh biscuits. Although I have heard their upgraded chicken tenders are a better product than their legacy Chicken Supremes at the original locations, so that would be the only improvement that should be implemented system wide.
I concur. And again, the uneven quality and service in its restaurants is severely threatening the reputation and customer loyalty of the franchise. These days, I hear more negative comments about Bojangles than positive ones.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:29 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,447,044 times
Quote:
Wegmans considers a long list of factors when determining where to open stores. The company looks at populations "with high food interest," a combination of both education and incomes, and population growth.

"We do really well in university towns," Aken said.
Yes, but: While it's common in markets like Raleigh and Charlotte to see competitors like Publix and Harris Teeter in close proximity to one another, don't expect to find Wegmans store too close to other supermarkets, Aken says.

A Wegmans' trade area (the geographical reach of the customers it serves) is about 8 to 10 miles, compared with 2 to 3 miles for a typical grocery store, per Aken.
https://www.axios.com/local/charlott...olina-openings

Old 04-21-2024, 04:54 PM

135 posts, read 61,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I concur. And again, the uneven quality and service in its restaurants is severely threatening the reputation and customer loyalty of the franchise. These days, I hear more negative comments about Bojangles than positive ones.

Every now and then I rent a car (ride share, not like Hertz) to joy ride to drive mostly to jam to music in the car. Fast food like Taco Bell and chick fil an are having a renaissance in DC but bojangles closed their location and it was pretty good. So Bojangles is a chain I go to. 40 minutes out, nice cruise, not in DC. Makes sense to go.

The ones further out in Loudon County and NoVa in general are good. The ones in MD are absolutely atrocious in every way. From wait times, customer service, food quality, availability of food. It’s just a mess.

Not to get off topic of wegmans, but yeah. Bojangles can either be good and awful depending on I guess the management of certain “regions” of chains (not region as in state etc but I assume the chains are broken up into districts managed by an hierarchy of employees)

Old 04-21-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAmerica_US View Post
Every now and then I rent a car (ride share, not like Hertz) to joy ride to drive mostly to jam to music in the car. Fast food like Taco Bell and chick fil an are having a renaissance in DC but bojangles closed their location and it was pretty good. So Bojangles is a chain I go to. 40 minutes out, nice cruise, not in DC. Makes sense to go.

The ones further out in Loudon County and NoVa in general are good. The ones in MD are absolutely atrocious in every way. From wait times, customer service, food quality, availability of food. It’s just a mess.

Not to get off topic of wegmans, but yeah. Bojangles can either be good and awful depending on I guess the management of certain “regions” of chains (not region as in state etc but I assume the chains are broken up into districts managed by an hierarchy of employees)
When you venture out from DC I would visit a legacy Roy Rogers still remaining in the region. They are known for good roast beef, fresh fried chicken, burgers and the fixins bar. Not as commonplace as in the Marriott days, but the largest franchise is based in Frederick, Maryland and also has some Northern Virginia locations remaining. And maybe stop by Wegmans as you tour the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina