Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 07:59 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,163,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Went to Wegmans yesterday. The hype hasn't died down yet as the place was absolutely packed. But I have to say, I understand now. It's a grocery store but it's also some what of an experience. Top notch quality, beautiful presentation, and tons of variety. Unique stuff as well. My wife and I purchased some soup and some Asian food from the hot food bar. Everything was very good. The huge seating area was awesome and we saw tons of employees from the nearby businesses like Duke hospital there for lunch.

Easily the best grocery store I've ever been to. Never thought I would care enough about a grocery store to have such feelings or comments but hey, that place rocks. Will be even better when it's not almost shoulder to shoulder packed.
I'm glad it's not just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 09:15 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,419,537 times
The planned Wegmans for Holly Springs is a step closer to reality. https://t.co/vhtXMx9wrF

Old 12-24-2019, 08:21 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You may have that reversed. They most likely will hit Charlotte before the Triad, simply for economic reasons rather than logistical reasons.
Hopefully they will come to Charlotte next, since they have announced plans for the new Virginia distribution center. Because if they come to Charlotte then perhaps they will venture further south toward the Greenville-Spartanburg area of Upstate SC.

But to be honest, I am perfectly satisfied with nice fine stores from Harris Teeter, Publix, and Lowe's Foods. And some nice large Ingle's and a few improved Food Lions round out the region.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:04 PM

88 posts, read 72,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Hopefully they will come to Charlotte next, since they have announced plans for the new Virginia distribution center. Because if they come to Charlotte then perhaps they will venture further south toward the Greenville-Spartanburg area of Upstate SC.

But to be honest, I am perfectly satisfied with nice fine stores from Harris Teeter, Publix, and Lowe's Foods. And some nice large Ingle's and a few improved Food Lions round out the region.

My sincere hope is that Wegmans and others put Food Lion out of business. They are the biggest piece of crap grocery store in the world IMO. I went to Wegmans the weekend that they opened, and they seemed cool enough, but I am sticking with Harris Teeter.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:13 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. City View Post
My sincere hope is that Wegmans and others put Food Lion out of business. They are the biggest piece of crap grocery store in the world IMO. I went to Wegmans the weekend that they opened, and they seemed cool enough, but I am sticking with Harris Teeter.
Ingles actually has a history of killing some Food Lion stores. Now that Delhaize has merged with Ahold, I think that your wish is a bit further off. Aldi and Lidl will keep chipping away. Wegmans certainly won't help Food Lion.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:53 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,067 times
You can put down Food Lion all you want, 3 years ago I would have been in your corner. Back then I considered F/L a very low end, no frills, grocery store that I rarely used while living in the Triangle..

I then retired/relocated to a somewhat rural area that is blessed to have a Food Lion. No it's not a Harris Teeter, Publix or a Wegman's but it provided the necessities+ at fair prices to rural/remote customers.

If it wasn't for a few stores like Food Lion /Piggly Wiggly that provide access to groceries to smaller more rural areas it would be a nightmare to put food on the table without long commutes.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:24 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
You can put down Food Lion all you want, 3 years ago I would have been in your corner. Back then I considered F/L a very low end, no frills, grocery store that I rarely used while living in the Triangle..

I then retired/relocated to a somewhat rural area that is blessed to have a Food Lion. No it's not a Harris Teeter, Publix or a Wegman's but it provided the necessities+ at fair prices to rural/remote customers.

If it wasn't for a few stores like Food Lion /Piggly Wiggly that provide access to groceries to smaller more rural areas it would be a nightmare to put food on the table without long commutes.
I think Ahold is improving Food Lion. Their upgraded stores seem nice and prices on their store brands seem reasonable. Ahold does a good job with their Giant divisions, so perhaps they will continue to inspire and upgrade Food Lion.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ingles actually has a history of killing some Food Lion stores. Now that Delhaize has merged with Ahold, I think that your wish is a bit further off. Aldi and Lidl will keep chipping away. Wegmans certainly won't help Food Lion.
I've never heard of Ahold and I didn't know that they merged with Delhaise. I do know that in the Raleigh area, competition between food stores is very intense (brutal), and Food Lion will be a likely casualty.

Aldi and Lidl are apparently going after the "no frills" sector and are apparently knocking it out of the ballpark. Wegmans will be, you know, Wegmans. Likely to put a hurting on Harris Teeter. I like them both, but Wegmans has made a big splash here.

Then you have Target and Walmart.
Then you have Amazon / Whole Foods and Fresh Market.
Then you have Sprouts.

Food Lion won't last in this market, long term, IMO.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. City View Post
I've never heard of Ahold and I didn't know that they merged with Delhaise. I do know that in the Raleigh area, competition between food stores is very intense (brutal), and Food Lion will be a likely casualty.

Aldi and Lidl are apparently going after the "no frills" sector and are apparently knocking it out of the ballpark. Wegmans will be, you know, Wegmans. Likely to put a hurting on Harris Teeter. I like them both, but Wegmans has made a big splash here.

Then you have Target and Walmart.
Then you have Amazon / Whole Foods and Fresh Market.
Then you have Sprouts.

Food Lion won't last in this market, long term, IMO.
Ahold, aka Royal Ahold, a company in the Netherlands, merged with Delhaize, formerly a Belgian company. Historically, the Ahold chains did well, in the US. Delhaize had 2 chains on the eastcoast. Food Lion has been struggling for a long time.

Aldi and Lidl put the screws to Food Lion because where they compete with each other, they ignore the others. They literally compete with each other. They aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel. They bring in European products that frequently can't be obtained elsewhere.

Ingles doesn't extend to the Triangle, but they have a reputation for killing off Food Lions in the western portion of the state. Not only that, I'm aware of Harris Teeter pulling out of some stores near Ingles.

Wegmans will pull people from Harris Teeter and Publix. Prior to Wegmans' arrival in Raleigh, Wegmans was competing with Harris Teeter and Publix in Richmond. They all know each other.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ahold, aka Royal Ahold, a company in the Netherlands, merged with Delhaize, formerly a Belgian company. Historically, the Ahold chains did well, in the US. Delhaize had 2 chains on the eastcoast. Food Lion has been struggling for a long time.

Aldi and Lidl put the screws to Food Lion because where they compete with each other, they ignore the others. They literally compete with each other. They aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel. They bring in European products that frequently can't be obtained elsewhere.

Ingles doesn't extend to the Triangle, but they have a reputation for killing off Food Lions in the western portion of the state. Not only that, I'm aware of Harris Teeter pulling out of some stores near Ingles.

Wegmans will pull people from Harris Teeter and Publix. Prior to Wegmans' arrival in Raleigh, Wegmans was competing with Harris Teeter and Publix in Richmond. They all know each other.
I forgot about Publix. The only time I went in one was this past summer at the beach and I was very impressed. My wife thinks that they are expensive, so she mainly shops at Target, and gets the other stuff from Harris Teeter.

I like Ingles (went there in Asheville) but don't know if they will ever come here or not. Unlikely due to the competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina