Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:25 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Nah, you can't pull the wool over my eyes LOL NC'ers are MUCH nicer people than most northeast folks.. trust me on this!!!

Linda
No, really, they have better manners, but folks down here have the same range of being nice and not being nice.

I enjoy the manners down here, but don't think everyone is just a sweet heart...they are human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
No, really, they have better manners, but folks down here have the same range of being nice and not being nice.

I enjoy the manners down here, but don't think everyone is just a sweet heart...they are human.
This is totally going off topic here LOL
I see your point. But I think in NC you will find that many more actually care about people. I have seen a traffic jam on a major road due to luggage falling off someone's car. Instead of the people goign around the poor guy and literally driving over his stuff... they were parking their car in the road and helping him pick it up. In my old neck of the woods I tell ya, the stuff would have been ran over and the drivers would have been saying not so nice things... seriously!!!!

The question "did we stop to pick up anything?" might come to mind and I have to say .. no we didn't but it was just about done at that point and the traffic was moving along. But I think we would have... just seeing the acts of kindness are enough to make you want to be same way.

Linda

Old 02-06-2007, 12:00 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
My parents grew up in Spruce Pine, NC and most of my family still lives in the area. My favorite is "you'uns," as in "Is you'uns goin' out to the pitcher show tonight?" My boss visited the area years ago and wrote a whole newspaper column about how the waitress addressed him and his wife as "you'uns." I vividly remember my granddaddy talking about somebody going "over air." That meant somebody was going "over there."

Old 02-06-2007, 02:01 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
This is from the mountains of Virginia,

My ex-neighbor, a painter, and his partner were eating their lunch outside in a very small town. A woman walks up to a farmer across the street and asks, "How much are dem 'maters?" (tomatoes) The partner remarks rather loudly, "Boy, is that woman country!"

Old 02-06-2007, 02:53 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
Chimley: When I lived in Ohio for two years, I had a boyfriend there who said that. He and his family were from southern Ohio. I had never heard anyone say it that way before and haven't since.

My maternal grandma was from southeast NC (born in Lumberton, lived in Cumberland). She always said, "Well, I swanny!" and "Oh foot!". lol Oh, and of course "bless her/his/your heart".

I say "might could" all the time. "You might could say that." I also say "reckon" a lot.

North Carolinians also say usetabe (used to be), usetacould (use to be able), up bear (up there), over yonder, down the road a piece, ahite (alright), waller (wallow; "Quit wallerin'!"), younguns, shoot fire, cattywonkered, cattywampus, wompersided, ill (which means you're mad, not sick; "I was so ill!"), onced, twiced, onliest, fixin' to (getting ready to), buggy (shopping cart), mash the button, chunk (means throw), cruck (truck), nabs (those crackers with peanut butter by Lance and a couple other brands), hose pipe (water hose), washing powder (laundry detergant), "gimme some sugar", piddlin', lollygaggin', give out (tired, or "tarred", as some say), pooch (stomach bulge), frogstrangler or gullywasher (heavy rain), crank the car, etc.

I use many of those, but not all.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:52 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post

North Carolinians also say usetabe (used to be), usetacould (use to be able), up bear (up there), over yonder, down the road a piece, ahite (alright), waller (wallow; "Quit wallerin'!"), younguns, shoot fire, cattywonkered, cattywampus, wompersided, ill (which means you're mad, not sick; "I was so ill!"), onced, twiced, onliest, fixin' to (getting ready to), buggy (shopping cart), mash the button, chunk (means throw), cruck (truck), nabs (those crackers with peanut butter by Lance and a couple other brands), hose pipe (water hose), washing powder (laundry detergant), "gimme some sugar", piddlin', lollygaggin', give out (tired, or "tarred", as some say), pooch (stomach bulge), frogstrangler or gullywasher (heavy rain), crank the car, etc.
I use many of those, but not all.
"poot" for "passing gas", wreaked for auto accident, "furpiece up the road" - for a long distance away, bloated (stomach bulge), "swimmy headed" - dizzy (I hate that expression ), s/he's so "country" ..... It's amazing how many of these expressions I slip into when I talk to my patients!!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 PM

106 posts, read 512,854 times
Default scattered smoothered and covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
So, what are home fries scattered smoothered and covered?

This thread reminds me of a furniture delivery person - bless his heart - an old timer fershur. He kept up a steady stream of talk while bringing in the stuff and I couldn't understand a word. All I could do was nod and smile, praying all the time that he wouldn't ask me anything. A couple months later we had another delivery from the same place, and I STILL couldn't understand a word.
the scattered smothered and covered home fries are: onions,hot sauce and cheese--it was goood!!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:13 PM

106 posts, read 512,854 times
lololol-----too funny
in ny we say "pop" instead of soda or soda pop
"it's getting dark under the table" meaning time to go home
"ant" instead of Aunt
just a few that come to mind

Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
That's why it cracks me up to hear northerners come down and say "people down here are so much less rude than up north"! Hah....no, hunny, we just fooled you into thinking that.
Our rudeness is more, "passive aggressive" as evidenced by the "bless your heart" phrase.
I've grown up in the south, but with northeastern family and working much of the time with northeastern transplants, so it has taken some time to learn this. I'm used to saying what I mean without it being considered rude.

Now I've started saying "bless your heart". My close friends at work have to stifle their giggles when they hear me say it in a staff meeting, because they know that it basically means that I don't agree with the speaker. Sorta my polite way of discounting what they are saying.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:21 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,359 times
Just heard about this on the radio and thought is was thread appropriate:

Northerner's Guide To The South

Are you new in town? Mount Airy native Eric Chilton has a few tips for surviving the south.

Greensboro, NC -- Hundreds of northerners move to the south each year.

But getting used to southern culture can be challenging. There are lots of things you need to know. Let's just call this "Grits 101."

The name says it all: NY Deli. Transplant Ricky Bissoondutt will be our Yankee and he says the driving was the first thing he noticed.

"You have to use signal. Traffic up north is so congested that someone will ram ya. Definitely, down here someone will just stop and turn without signaling."

Carol Marion teaches a southern culture class at GTCC. She says the reason is simple, the average commute around here is 10-15 minutes.

"The joke is, if the turn signal is on. It was on when he bought the truck... It doesn't take us too long to get there so we don't have to be in a rush or a panic."

Weather is another puzzling situation for transplants like Bissoondutt.

"When it snows everybody runs out and gets milk, bread, eggs and cheese...it's like if the world comes to an end we're gonna have a good breakfast for the rest of our lives."

The accent can be a challenge as well. Like the time Darrell Moorefield lost his voice and his fellow southerner tried to order for him in New York city.

"I said order me some hot tea for my throat and he said, give me that hot tea up there. She said, what? And I burst out laughing and said we're in a hellava fix. I can't speak and she doesn't know what you're saying!"

So, we all need to be patient with each other and we'll be just fine. But Marion says northerners should remember: just because you live here doesn't make you a southerner.

"I always think about the line from Designing Women when Julia Sugarbaker said 'if a cat has kittens in the oven you don't call 'em biscuits.'"

So here, in the vein of David Letterman, is a Top Ten list of tops for northerners moving south:

#10: Don't be in a hurry. It won't help.

#9: Remember: "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural and "all y'all's" is plural possessive.

#8: If you hear a southern say "hey y'all, watch this!," get away. Those are probably his last words.

#7: We don't' use turn signals and we ignore those who do.

#6: In the north, women have two last names. In the south EVERYONE has two first names.

#5: The proper pronunciations you learned all through school....don't work here.

#4: Save all manner of bacon grease you will be instructed on how to use it later.

#3: Just because you can drive on the snow doesn't mean we can stay home on the two days a year it snows.

#2: If you run your car into a ditch, just wait. Four men in a pick-up with a tow hitch will be along soon. Just stay outta their way, It's what they live for.

...and the number one tip for a northerner moving to the south...

Don't be worried that you don't understand us...We don't understand you either.

WFMY News 2 asked you what your favorite southern expressions are. Here is a list of your top five responses:

"What in the sam hill are you doing?"

"Bless her heart."

"Knee high to a grasshopper."

"Pig pickin'"

"Well John Brown it!"

WFMY News 2
Maila Rible , Web Producer
created: 2/5/2007 2:55:52 PM
Last updated: 2/6/2007 12:49:56 PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina