Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:12 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,606 times

Advertisements

I call all athletic shoes "tennis shoes", too.

Yous guys (and "you guys") is annoying. Especially if whoever says it is talking to females. It's not so bad if they're talking to just guys. Doesn't bother me. But I'm not a guy, so please don't call me one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
My partner is from western NC and we been together about 5 years and I have gotten use to his western NC dialet unfortunately but I thought it was very cute. I always enjoy listen to a good rant but I have to really concentrate now to pick it out LOL. I am also amaze how different eastern NC folks talk different than western. Speaking of driving ever be behind the local who likes to open the flood gate to side streets while you are waiting at a light. Instead of letting one car in front of them they let 5 cars or more out luv it.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 PM

143 posts, read 485,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham, NC Native View Post
And just to put the shoe on the other foot, I had a devil of a time when I got lost up around Boston a few months ago and stopped to ask which city I was in and was told Pibiddy. ....
Actually Peabiddy. If he said Pibiddy he must have been Irish

Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 PM

24 posts, read 79,315 times
youins=you all
maner=Humana Insurance
da-la= they Lord

Old 03-29-2007, 03:23 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swacko View Post
there is one that you have to on your guard for at all times!!!! it is " HOW NICE" it means f#*&k you .
"How lovely for you" and "Your mama must be sooooo proud" can be interpreted in a similiar manner, depending upon the intonation.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM

42 posts, read 183,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS3775 View Post
When i was growing up (i still am) a "drink" was any soda pop.
Do you want a drink? That would include any soft drink at the store. No soda, soda pop, pop, just drink.
yep that's what we say in my family. Drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc
Oh, my. How long can I type? I am from the north (Illinois), lived here 8 years (eastern NC), and about to move to PA. Some of the entertaining things I hear down here:
"Mash the button" (darned it, my 4 year old says it now)
"vomick" (I'm a vet....we jokingly say this A LOT)
"Winder" (that's a window to others)
"hasslin'" (darned it!! When you're fresh out of vet school, and your clients says "der dog been hasslin' for TWO days now!!"....and you have NO idea what it means?!!?) (oh, it means panting)
yes, the whole thing about "carry"
"all the way"...the insane way they make burgers with chili, slaw, etc...makes me ill just thinking about it!!!
"ain't gonna" (heck, I say that WAY TOO MUCH now!!)
I say all those things and there is nothing like a hotdog all the way. Yum!
I also say fixin and carry all the time. I'm a very southern girl. When I was in college they wanted me to take a public speaking class to help me with my drawl. I wouldn't take it because it wasn't required and I love my drawl.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 PM

222 posts, read 691,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnny View Post
lololol-----too funny
in ny we say "pop" instead of soda or soda pop
"it's getting dark under the table" meaning time to go home
"ant" instead of Aunt
just a few that come to mind
Upstate NY says pop(Western NY). Downstate says soda

Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM

222 posts, read 691,379 times
Default Buggy

Buggy for shopping cart still can't get use to that one

Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 PM

139 posts, read 550,788 times
When I was in grad school my advisor tried to get me to stop talking "southern". He said people couldnt concentrate on what I was saying, they were just listening to my voice. I took that as a compliment. Here are some of our sayings/slang:

a piece (somewhere not too far away)-down the road a piece.
slam bumpin-really really overflowing-that trash can is slam bumpin full
okrees (okra)
hoi toiwd (high tide)
daggum it
doohickie-some piece of something that doesnt have a real name or the name escapes you.

My dad was the master of the Southern phrase. My fav: I'd rather be nibbled to death by ducks-a task so awful that you'd rather have this happen than do it.

If you want to hear something wonderful and strange at the same time visit Hyde Co/Ocracoke (which is just beautiful btw). They have their own language/dialect. You cannot understand a word of some of the natives and cannot believe it is English.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM

36,427 posts, read 16,036,192 times
Wow!! My favorite is "fitty cent" instead of fifty cents. There are a multitude of unusual sayings here. I had a hard time catching on to, " I'm ill today." I kept thinking the person was sick. It really means they are mad or annoyed or upset about something. How about, " Friday a week", which is a week from Friday. I'm from California, what do I know??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina