Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 25,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
If you hear "pop" around NC for soda, that person is probably not a native NC'er. (Midwesterner maybe, where pop is used a lot?)

Now if you hear someone ask for a "Cokecola", they are probably a native....and they aren't really asking specifically for a Coke...any kind of soft drink would fit the bill.
That is so absolutely true. Coke = soft drink
Goes something like this...
"Can I get you a coke?"
"Yes, thank you."
"What kind? We've got Sprite, Cheerwine, Coke, etc"

Soda, Pop, etc are definitely not native terms.

Now, I did spend some time in Texas, but I've heard my folk around here use the term fixin' too.

And if you're mad, that just 'tans my hide' Or from someone who is gonna give you a whippin,' I'm gonna tan your hide'

And just to put the shoe on the other foot, I had a devil of a time when I got lost up around Boston a few months ago and stopped to ask which city I was in and was told Pibiddy. I must have asked him 3 times to repeat the city name, finally he slowed it down for a good Southern girl, "PEA-BODY" he said. Oh, I said, finally understanding with an emphatic, "Oh, Peabody!" Why didn't you say it right the first time!? I've gotten many a laugh out of that one.

Oh, and one of the many uses for bacon fat...grits, baby grits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 02:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,765,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
And anything you say afterwards, no matter how rude or nasty, instantly becomes acceptable to say.

"Well Bless Your Heart, but if that just isn't the worst hair cut I've seen in my life."

"Well, Bless Your Heart, but you don't have the brains God gave a fence post."
Desdemona & NCMommy, your interpretations use to be only one side of "Bless your heart." It depended on the person. Now, since I haven't lived there in many years it may have changed... like so much else has. But some of my fondest memories are of my Grandaddy saying to me as a child "Bless your little heart". And he meant it as only purest of pure intention.

But I did get a snarky "Bless your heart" from a woman while visiting this summer. I didn't comment since I had my kids with me. So I've experienced the ones you've mentioned too. Maybe only Southern Grandaddies give out the good ones any more. I hope not.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,653 times
my favert (favorite)words is...

yanto(you want to) and jeet(did you eat)

Old 02-20-2007, 04:30 PM

108 posts, read 377,642 times
Im surprised how many of these my family uses, and they are from southwestern PA! must be some country blood somewhere

Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 PM

122 posts, read 457,310 times
Oh NCMommy2-4. laughing so hard I fear incontinence. Still laughing. I have never thought of it that way. Tears now. I guess you are right. That really is what it means. Great translation.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:01 AM

36 posts, read 109,520 times
When i was growing up (i still am) a "drink" was any soda pop.
Do you want a drink? That would include any soft drink at the store. No soda, soda pop, pop, just drink.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:04 PM

57 posts, read 160,469 times
there is one that you have to on your guard for at all times!!!! it is " HOW NICE" it means f#*&k you .

Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 AM

787 posts, read 3,585,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnny View Post
What are your favorite NC slang words or phrases???????
being from upstate NY we had stopped at the waffle house while visiting my daughter ----had some difficulty ordering food from the waitress --we sat down at the counter instead of the booth and she questioned us as to (phonetically) jeet yet?? hubby and i sat there clueless my daughter giggled and interpreted for us--did you eat yet? Of course the waitress then asked us if we wanted our home fries scattered smoothered and covered---it was the first that we heard of that --but yum it was good stuff!
Any others ???
My grandmother used to say something to the effect of what you are saying about "Did you eat yet?" And of course it was said like your waitress said it. I bet I was grown before I realized that this was not an actual Daniel Webster dictionary word. LOL
We had some friends that moved from NY and he stated that the thing that irked him the most was that every time he asked where someone was or where something was the answer was nearly always "It's over yonder." He stated he was still trying to figure out where over yonder is.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:38 AM

219 posts, read 853,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnny View Post
What are your favorite NC slang words or phrases???????
being from upstate NY we had stopped at the waffle house while visiting my daughter ----had some difficulty ordering food from the waitress --we sat down at the counter instead of the booth and she questioned us as to (phonetically) jeet yet?? hubby and i sat there clueless my daughter giggled and interpreted for us--did you eat yet? Of course the waitress then asked us if we wanted our home fries scattered smoothered and covered---it was the first that we heard of that --but yum it was good stuff!
Any others ???
Penny,
"jeet yet".
Heck, you can hear that in Philly every day.
Know what I love about North Carolina speakese?
Silly, I know.
The way the work NINE is pronounced.
Love it.
Then again I sort of love the whole southern accent. Love it.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 19,246 times
I have lived alot of places...including texas...I also say coke for everything carbonated...and it confuses my fiance all the time...What do you call shoes? I say tennis shoes for everything where he calls them sneakers. Ya'll has still stuck with me

Being from Texas my IN's and EN's sound the same...I get laughed at when i say Tin and Ten and they both sound like Ten...

We will be moving to NC soon...I cannot wait to get away from "use guys" as in "use guys coming over?"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina