Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 05:33 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,485 times

Advertisements

Thank you so very much for your explanations. It is almost impossible to get through to NCESC and you really help flesh out the info available from the web site.

Can you check my logic on the following:

I originally qualified for 26 weeks at NC maximum payment.

My benefit year ends 11/21/2009. I am on EUC08 Tier 1 right now, it will switch over to Tier 2 around early/mid October. I have calculated that I will get 13 weeks (50% of original 26 weeks) of Tier 2.

I understand now that I must open a new claim on 11/21/09 to continue to receive the Tier 2 benefits. I have calculated my wages earned in Q32008, Q42008, Q12009, Q22009, and find that my high quarter was $14250, divide that by 26 and I get $548, so I should continue to get the NC maximum payment.

So, what happens if/when I run out of those 13 weeks of Tier 2? The federal kicks in? I am desperately seeking work but it keeps the anxiety level down a bit if I have an idea of what might happen re unemployment benefits.

Thank you again, you deserve a medal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:48 AM

12 posts, read 41,217 times
I have a question similar-my husband's benefit year ends 10/24/2009. His high quarter during Q32008 and Q42008 (which were the last quarters worked) were around $11,000. So that means he needs to open a new claim?? Would this claim be paying his Tier II extension, or would it be a regular UI claim that starts over again? We just moved to Greensboro because it is a larger city than the small eastern NC town we were in, in hopes he will soon find a job (he is in construction). We had money saved and I work full time, but we really still rely on unemployment until he can find something else, and believe me, he is looking!! I guess I am just confused about the opening of a new claim, any help would be appreciated. Jdljr, if his last day worked was October 26, 2008, and his highest quarter wages were $11,000, does that mean he is eligible for Tier II extension, or does he begun a new UI claim??

Old 09-20-2009, 01:16 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Thank you so very much for your explanations. It is almost impossible to get through to NCESC and you really help flesh out the info available from the web site.

Can you check my logic on the following:

I originally qualified for 26 weeks at NC maximum payment.

My benefit year ends 11/21/2009. I am on EUC08 Tier 1 right now, it will switch over to Tier 2 around early/mid October. I have calculated that I will get 13 weeks (50% of original 26 weeks) of Tier 2.

I understand now that I must open a new claim on 11/21/09 to continue to receive the Tier 2 benefits. I have calculated my wages earned in Q32008, Q42008, Q12009, Q22009, and find that my high quarter was $14250, divide that by 26 and I get $548, so I should continue to get the NC maximum payment.

So, what happens if/when I run out of those 13 weeks of Tier 2? The federal kicks in? I am desperately seeking work but it keeps the anxiety level down a bit if I have an idea of what might happen re unemployment benefits.

Thank you again, you deserve a medal!
Actually, when you open a new benefit year, you will begin all over again with regular UI if you have enough wages in the base period to do so. You will not continue with your Tier 2, as the money from the previous claim goes away if you can qualify for new regular UI. It sounds like you can qualify to start over again with regular UI with the amount of wages that you'll have in the base period at that time.

And you're correct. If your calculation is $548 per week then you'll get the maximum weekly benefit amount, which last month increased to $505 per week. In addition, you'd get the extra $25 per week stimulus money as long as that stays in effect.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzbeth2500 View Post
I have a question similar-my husband's benefit year ends 10/24/2009. His high quarter during Q32008 and Q42008 (which were the last quarters worked) were around $11,000. So that means he needs to open a new claim?? Would this claim be paying his Tier II extension, or would it be a regular UI claim that starts over again? We just moved to Greensboro because it is a larger city than the small eastern NC town we were in, in hopes he will soon find a job (he is in construction). We had money saved and I work full time, but we really still rely on unemployment until he can find something else, and believe me, he is looking!! I guess I am just confused about the opening of a new claim, any help would be appreciated. Jdljr, if his last day worked was October 26, 2008, and his highest quarter wages were $11,000, does that mean he is eligible for Tier II extension, or does he begun a new UI claim??
Yes, if he has enough wages in the base period to qualify for a new regular UI claim, that is what will happen. He must have at least $4,550 spanning those two quarters. Wages in just one quarter of the base period would not suffice to begin a new regular UI claim. It's ONLY if someone does NOT have enough wages in the base period to open a new regular UI claim that a new benefit year would be set up in order to continue to receive the extension money left on the old claim.

Further, to qualify for any extension, using the $11,000 figure, his total base period wages would need to be equal or greater than $16,500, which is 1.5 times his high base period quarter ($11,000 x 1.5 = $16,500).

Old 09-20-2009, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,907 times
I'm still unemployed aftera year. Been getting unemployment but the form letter came in the mail and all I could understand was monitarily ineligible. No jobs, no prospects, I'm now convinced that jobs that are listed on the web for openings are not really there, it just looks good. I'm still trying to do my weekly claim even though I got the letter. So either the'll "find" more benefits for me or I'll be done and broke and out in the cold. Unbelievable!!!!

Old 09-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks jdljr, you are very helpful, and I appreciate your input. One more question-he was eligible for the first extension, because his base period wages were more than 1.5 times his high base period quarter-but this was on the original claim. So, to clarify, what you are saying is he will not get an extension because his earnings are sufficient to open a new claim, but he more than likely is not eligible for an extension on his potential new claim. He has a very strong job prospect that is slated to start the middle of December, so we are trying to hang on until then....
Once again, thanks for your quick response

Old 09-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzbeth2500 View Post
he will not get an extension because his earnings are sufficient to open a new claim, but he more than likely is not eligible for an extension on his potential new claim.
Yes. If his earnings are sufficient to open a new regular UI claim when his current benefit year ends, then his existing claim, regardless of how many extensions or how much money is left on it, is done.

He MAY be eligible for an extension on his new regular UI claim when his initial 13-26 weeks are done. At that time he'll have to once again meet the 1.5 times the high quarter rule in order to qualify.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhollow View Post
I'm still unemployed aftera year. Been getting unemployment but the form letter came in the mail and all I could understand was monitarily ineligible. No jobs, no prospects, I'm now convinced that jobs that are listed on the web for openings are not really there, it just looks good. I'm still trying to do my weekly claim even though I got the letter. So either the'll "find" more benefits for me or I'll be done and broke and out in the cold. Unbelievable!!!!
If a full year has passed, did your benefit year run out? If it did and you attempted a new regular UI claim, was it that you didn't have enough wages in the base period to set up a new regular UI claim? If that's the case, and you have any money left on your previous claim, they should set up a new benefit year for you in order for you to go back and draw that remaining money on your previous claim.

Some people barely qualify for UI. They may draw the minimum 13 weeks of regular UI and not qualify for any extensions. Or draw the minimum 13 weeks of regular UI and qualify for all extensions. Or draw the maximum 26 weeks and then either qualify (or not) for the extensions. And some people have enough in their base period to qualify for a 2nd regular UI claim, whereby the whole series of regular UI and extensions starts over. Some people don't.

It all depends on what's in your base period.

Also, if you were terminated or fired, but the Adjudication Unit ruled in your favor to be able to draw regular UI, you may qualify for the EUC08 Tier 1 and EUC08 Tier 2 extensions (provided you meet the "1.5 times the high quarter in the base period" rule), however you wouldn't be able to draw any EB (Extended Benefits) because the claim must be "clean" (no disqualifications) in order to draw EB.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:10 PM

Thank you jdljr-hopefully we will not need him to keep receiving unemployment, but it is nice to have some answers about the claim he already has. He has never been out of work this long-he changed jobs in 2006, but never had to deal with unemployment-it was a seamless transition. We are hopeful this is the last time we will have to deal with this type of situation! Once again, you have been very helpful!

Old 09-26-2009, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,288 times
I received a letter stating my benefit year is ending and with the wage information they have I am not eligible. They are only noting my last employer. I have worked continuously for more than 20 years . My last year job I was only there for a year and that is who I have been drawing off of but previous to that I was at my other job for 10 years. No breaks in between. Do I just need to call in and give them my second employers information. And then will I be eligible to draw off of that employer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina