Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 09:23 AM

776 posts, read 1,685,020 times

Advertisements

Hey...I did a search for an answer to this question, but I couldn't find anything. Especially since a topic like this one might get a different answer in different states and at different times.

This is my final week of the 26-week regular unemployment (boy that went quick)...and now I need to apply for extended benefits. I've been told that I just need to keep filing each week and that my expired status will trigger on the NCESC's end and they'll send me a determination letter to see if I qualify for extended benefits. I've seen a few answers to who gets the extension (based on your wages for the previous 5 quarters or something like that?), but is there anything else I'm missing? Has anyone (I'm sure there's a quite a few of you) shifted to extended benefits and is there any process for getting approval?

It just gets to be a stressful time when you got bills to pay and well...your unemployment just ran out and then you hear, "well...you may or may not qualify for an extension." Scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,611,439 times
I believe that I transitioned to extended benefits this week also. I called the Cary ESC office 2 weeks ago and they said to just keep filing as normal and it will take care of itself. Supposedly the first extension lasts for 20 weeks and there is a second extension that lasts for 13 weeks. Man I hope I don't stay unemployed that long to find out.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I believe that I transitioned to extended benefits this week also. I called the Cary ESC office 2 weeks ago and they said to just keep filing as normal and it will take care of itself. Supposedly the first extension lasts for 20 weeks and there is a second extension that lasts for 13 weeks. Man I hope I don't stay unemployed that long to find out.
You and me both!

It almost makes me wonder though...there's been like 6.5 million people that have lost their job since December 07...almost half of which have lost their job since December 08. Alot of those people are not finding work and will eventually come off unemployment. They've got mortgages, car payments, credit card bills (some of which are raising interest rates astronomically, like mine), etc...when their unemployment dries up, we may just see a spike in bankruptcies, foreclosures, etc. It's gonna get nasty and I can only hope to stay afloat and find something.

Really scary...especially right now when you look at your unemployment balance and it says $0.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM

88 posts, read 287,556 times
my mom has been on it for just over a year. They keep adding on months.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Hey...I did a search for an answer to this question, but I couldn't find anything. Especially since a topic like this one might get a different answer in different states and at different times.

This is my final week of the 26-week regular unemployment (boy that went quick)...and now I need to apply for extended benefits. I've been told that I just need to keep filing each week and that my expired status will trigger on the NCESC's end and they'll send me a determination letter to see if I qualify for extended benefits. I've seen a few answers to who gets the extension (based on your wages for the previous 5 quarters or something like that?), but is there anything else I'm missing? Has anyone (I'm sure there's a quite a few of you) shifted to extended benefits and is there any process for getting approval?

It just gets to be a stressful time when you got bills to pay and well...your unemployment just ran out and then you hear, "well...you may or may not qualify for an extension." Scary.
When your regular UI runs out, you may be eligible for up to three extensions...EUC08 Tier 1, EUC08 Tier 2, and EB. Tier 1 EUC08 is 80% of the original amount, Tier 2 EUC08 is 50% of the original amount and EB is 80% of the original amount. For example, if your weekly benefit amount in regular UI is $300 a week for 26 weeks, then your Tier 1 EUC08 would be $300 per week for 20 weeks, and your Tier 2 EUC08 would be $300 per week for 13 weeks. Then your EB would be $300 per week for 20 weeks. So your weekly benefit amount remains the same, but your duration is less, thus reducing your EUC08 benefit to 80% and 50%. As long as you're monetarily eligible (see below), each extension should be automatic (it's just that behind the scenes your benefits are coming from a different pot of money). If you're monetarily eligible for the Tier 1 EUC08, you will be monetarily eligible for the Tier 2 EUC08 and the EB. Each extension should be seamless and transparent to you. Just continue to certify each week as you have been, and if you meet the eligibility guidelines to receive the extensions, there should be no gap in payments.

If your benefit year runs out you'll have to file a new claim. If your new claim sets (you have enough wages in the NEW base period), any extension money on your previous claim is lost. The weekly benefit amount will likely be different on your new claim than on your old claim because of differing wages in your new base period compared to your old base period.

If you do not have enough money in the new base period for a new claim to set, you MUST at least ATTEMPT the new claim (even though it won't set) and then you may likely be allowed to draw the remaining EB that was left on your old claim.

Monetary eligibility - One misconception many people have is that when their regular UI runs out, they'll automatically get an extension (because so many do). THIS IS NOT THE CASE. There is a mathematical formula applied to the wages in the base period that must be met in order to qualify. That formula requires that your total base period wages MUST equal 1-1/2 times the high quarter in the base period. Anyone who does not meet this requirement is monetarily ineligible for an extension. AND, not everyone qualifies for the same duration of benefits/extensions. Regular UI pays a minimum of 13 weeks and a maximum of 26 weeks. Therefore, if your regular UI paid for only, say, 16 weeks, then your extensions would be 80% (EUC08 Tier 1), 50% (EUC08 Tier 2) and 80% (EB) of the 16 weeks while your weekly benefit amount remains the same.

You can figure your claim duration for regular UI by adding the total wages in your base period, then divide that number by the high quarter in the base period, and multiply that result by 8.66. Minimum is 13 weeks, maximum is 26 weeks.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM

I don't think I could've asked for a more precise, better answer.

Thanks jdljr!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 43,596 times
Also, something not mentioned here--The EUC08 program runs through the end of 2009, only, but the last payments can be made through June 2010.

I am near exhausting my 26 weeks of unemployment. Based on the formula above, I qualify for Tier 1 EUC08 for an additional 20 weeks, which would get me through the third week of Feb. 2010. However, it is my understanding that since my Tier 1 will run out AFTER January 1, 2010, I will NOT qualify for Tier 2 of EUC08, because the program ends in December 2009.

This is a negative for me (if I'm still out of work). Perhaps I'd qualify for NC's EB program if I'm still unemployed after exhausting Tier 1 of EUC08 in Feb. 2010. My original benefit years ends in March 2010, so I think I'd be safe in terms of qualifying for EB and maintaining my original payment amount. Not certain.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:32 PM

58 posts, read 258,307 times
Default Unemployment question about benefit year ending...

I am hoping someone can help me out, but please no comments about why I have not found a job. I am currently receiving unemployment and have been since last August. My benefit year just expired, however with the extensions it seems that I should have another few weeks left. It will not let me file online anymore, saying that the benefit year has ended. Does anyone know if I need to submit a new claim to get a new benefit year, or how it works in NC? Or maybe you can only collect for one benefit year regardless of the extensions that are out there right now? I've never collected unemployment before this, and hope to never collect again as I finally have a promising job situation coming up......I tried calling today but was on hold for 2 hours...just thought maybe someone here has been in this situation......

Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,832,598 times
I do know that when I called and left a message, when I didn't hear back I called again and spoke to the operator. She said that they start returning calls after 4:30PM. So make sure to leave a message so you're on someone's call back list.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 PM

797 posts, read 3,297,317 times
My benefit year ended and all I had to do was just start up another claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina