Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleighs123 View Post
Hello there!

I am hoping you can help me understand what will happen now since I am unable to ever reach the ESC.

I was laid off in Oct. 2008, and have not worked since. I have earned $185/week, and my benefit year ended Saturday (Oct. 17, 2009). I was told that once my benefit year ended, I would need to call the ESC and file a new claim, but as I said, I am unable to ever get through to anyone.

Since I have not worked since Oct. 2008, what does that mean for a new claim, whenever I am able to get through to refile?
If your benefit year ended you will need to attempt a new benefit year. If you have ample wages ($4,554 spread out over at least two quarters in the base period...currently 3Q2008, 4Q2008, 1Q2009 and 2Q2009), a new regular UI claim will be set up for you. If you do not have ample wages to set up a new regular UI claim, you should still attempt a new benefit year and they will establish a new claim for you in order to go back and draw any remaining extension on your previous claim. You will have to get ahold of the ESC to do this, or possibly file online...but I would recommend physically going to the ESC office, as the experience in my office tends to be more responsive than filing online or by telephone. If you file online or by phone, then everything regarding your claim will go through the Remote Service Center in Raleigh, where they are overwhelmed. File in the local office and that office "owns" your claim.

If you have no remaining money on your previous claim, and not enough wages to open a new regular UI claim, then your UI is exhausted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:07 AM

3 posts, read 14,746 times
Well jdljr...seems like you are pretty expert in this area. Thanks so much for helping all us unemployed people out there. I'm unemployed, but thankfully qualify for the extensions. I don't think my husband is so lucky. One caveat...we live in Illinois...but I think the rules are the same. Here's the situation: Been unemployed for almost 6 months. His base period started in 1-2008 and ended in 4-2008. It looks like he will get another month of regular benefits and then reach his max. I think he will be found "monetarily ineligible"...since he had one really high month during the base period, since he has a large $ quarter...and the total base is NOT equal to or more than 1.5 times that (he's an IT guy, works on contract, sucky year). Some specifics to help...: Total base was $34,000 ...high quarter was $27,000 (1st quarter). So...1.5 times that is $40,000. (I rounded all numbers) He had a short-term contract from mid-Feb to April...but I don't think that would allow him to qualify for a new filing...think he would still be monetarily ineligible. He's been busting his rear trying to find a new job...with no luck. Is there any recourse? Would an appeal help? Any other government programs he might qualify for? He's a veteran...but no combat experience. Thanks much for helping!

Last edited by susan2009; 10-31-2009 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: not done

Old 10-31-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan2009 View Post
Well jdljr...seems like you are pretty expert in this area. Thanks so much for helping all us unemployed people out there. I'm unemployed, but thankfully qualify for the extensions. I don't think my husband is so lucky. One caveat...we live in Illinois...but I think the rules are the same. Here's the situation: Been unemployed for almost 6 months. His base period started in 1-2008 and ended in 4-2008. It looks like he will get another month of regular benefits and then reach his max. I think he will be found "monetarily ineligible"...since he had one really high month during the base period, since he has a large $ quarter...and the total base is NOT equal to or more than 1.5 times that (he's an IT guy, works on contract, sucky year). Some specifics to help...: Total base was $34,000 ...high quarter was $27,000 (1st quarter). So...1.5 times that is $40,000. (I rounded all numbers) He had a short-term contract from mid-Feb to April...but I don't think that would allow him to qualify for a new filing...think he would still be monetarily ineligible. He's been busting his rear trying to find a new job...with no luck. Is there any recourse? Would an appeal help? Any other government programs he might qualify for? He's a veteran...but no combat experience. Thanks much for helping!
Hey Susan, Unfortunately, I think your husband is out of luck as far as an extension. There are no exceptions to the 1.5 times rule. I had someone at my desk a couple weeks ago that was $12 short for qualifying for an extension. Sucks, I know.

Did your husband's short term contract work pay him at least $4,550? Was it this year or last? If he earned at least $4,550 spanning at least two quarters in the base period (currently 3Q2008, 4Q2008, 1Q2009 and 2Q2009), he would qualify for a new regular UI claim (at least here in NC...not sure about IL). If his short contract work was Feb-Apr of this year, that would seemingly be in two different quarters (1Q2009 and 2Q2009). If he earned at least $4,550 during that period, he would qualify for a new regular UI claim.

Not sure what the new extension (if it passes) will entail, who will qualify, for how long, etc. If he is not eligible for a new regular UI claim, he may be eligible for the new extension, if/when it passes.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 13,636 times
i am in a similar situation. my benefit year has ended and but the wage period breakdown i will not have enough to start a new year. by the letter i was sent a few months ago my euc should be good through 22 dec 09. when i go to see about getting a claim to receive the rest of my euc will i ave a waiting week?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,252 times
Try calling one of the smaller offices outside of your town. You can get answers that way.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImWithTheBand View Post
Try calling one of the smaller offices outside of your town. You can get answers that way.
I understand the frustration of not being able to get through to the larger offices while at some of the smaller offices it's a piece of cake. Heck, in my office you'll RARELY encounter a busy signal. Even we, in my office, have trouble getting through to some of the other offices!

But please...don't overwhelm our small office. We have the clients in our two-county area to take care of. People who call our office who do not have our office designator on their claim are not our clients. They should be dealing with their local office. That's why they're called "local" offices. They serve a specific area. That office "owns" their claim, not another office.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,451 times
What an awesome blog! Thanks for all the info. My tier 2 just started this week and I have to reapply for my annual Dec/5/09. I hope I am going to get the benefits. I am in the WIA program and I have been doing awesome in school 4.0. I would hate to have to throw it all away to go find a full time job right now. If I complete school the gov will get a lot more tax money out of me because I will seek a better paying job.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Joe View Post
What an awesome blog! Thanks for all the info. My tier 2 just started this week and I have to reapply for my annual Dec/5/09. I hope I am going to get the benefits. I am in the WIA program and I have been doing awesome in school 4.0. I would hate to have to throw it all away to go find a full time job right now. If I complete school the gov will get a lot more tax money out of me because I will seek a better paying job.
Hey Joe, way to go with doing great in school!

Regarding your statement of "I hope I am going to get the benefits". It's all based on what's in your base period. It's a simple mathematical calculation to decide whether you're monetarily eligible for a new regular UI claim. If you're not eligible for a new regular UI claim, and you still have extension money left on your old claim, you must still attempt a new benefit year and they'll establish a new claim for you to go back and get your remaining extension money on your old claim.

It's not a matter of a human being making a decision on whether you get the benefits, at this point. It's a mathematical formula and threshold you must meet. An easy way to determine that at this point is to get in touch with your local office and ask them if you have enough money in the base period to establish a new regular UI claim when your current benefit year runs out.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:01 PM

7 posts, read 24,003 times
My question is that my Tier 2 benefits run out around December 19th and my benefit year ends on 01/09/2010. I assume that my Extended Benefits would kick in for 20 weeks around the 19th or would the NEW extension of 14 weeks or 20 in bad states be added to my Tier 2.

These new extensions are a bit confusing and also would the EB automatically start just like Tier 1 & 2.

Thanks and I am also here in Wake County.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clog View Post
My question is that my Tier 2 benefits run out around December 19th and my benefit year ends on 01/09/2010. I assume that my Extended Benefits would kick in for 20 weeks around the 19th or would the NEW extension of 14 weeks or 20 in bad states be added to my Tier 2.

These new extensions are a bit confusing and also would the EB automatically start just like Tier 1 & 2.

Thanks and I am also here in Wake County.
We haven't been given any specifics about the new extension yet, so not sure if it would preceed EB or be tacked on after EB. However, if on 01/10/10 you are still not employed you MUST attempt a new benefit year to try and establish a new regular UI claim. You can't just continue to collect the extension money if you can qualify for a new regular UI claim. However if you CAN'T qualify for a new regular UI claim at that time, then they'll establish a new benefit year for you so that you can go back and get any unused extension money on your old benefit year. If you CAN qualify for a new regular UI claim, then that's what will be set up. Then when you get to the point of extensions on your new regular UI claim, you'll still have to qualify for them monetarily (total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in the base period). If you can't qualify for extensions in the new benefit year, it doesn't mean you can go back and get extension money from your previous claim. Once you can establish a new regular UI claim, all extension money from the previous claim is lost.

And yes, EB will start automatically just like Tier 1 and 2. Just keep doing your weekly certifications as you have been, however it appears you'll have just 4 or so weeks of EB before your benefit year runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina