Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:17 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,013,044 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the rural parts of North Dakota. I want to get away from traffic, congestion and overpopulation. Just the exact opposite of the San Francisco Bay Area where you pay more for less if you can afford to live here.
Any ideas of where to start the search?

Prefer to have less government, regulations, traffic signals, no traffic and no long lines in grocery stores. Everything here you must wait in a line. No parking and higher chances here of getting into a traffic collision or confrontation. I can't imagine how much time I have wasted waiting in long lines in stores or stuck in traffic gridlock. I am pretty sick of all of this though I have grown up in this I want out. Where is affordable housing in good safe newer neighborhoods and cost of single family homes?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-14-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I am interested in the rural parts of North Dakota. I want to get away from traffic, congestion and overpopulation. Just the exact opposite of the San Francisco Bay Area where you pay more for less if you can afford to live here.
Any ideas of where to start the search?

Prefer to have less government, regulations, traffic signals, no traffic and no long lines in grocery stores. Everything here you must wait in a line. No parking and higher chances here of getting into a traffic collision or confrontation. I can't imagine how much time I have wasted waiting in long lines in stores or stuck in traffic gridlock. I am pretty sick of all of this though I have grown up in this I want out. Where is affordable housing in good safe newer neighborhoods and cost of single family homes?
If you want rural ND, their won't be any Starbucks or Whole Foods or Jamba Juices or upscale restaurants like most Californians want.

In much of rural ND, you'll have to drive an hour for a decent grocery store or a decent cup of coffee.

You have to like cold too.

I would suggest Bottineau or Walhalla in the north, and Oakes or Lisbon in the south. Maybe Stanton or Garrison near the center. Its too busy out in western ND these days: mostly truck traffic.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
If you want rural ND, their won't be any Starbucks or Whole Foods or Jamba Juices or upscale restaurants like most Californians want.

In much of rural ND, you'll have to drive an hour for a decent grocery store or a decent cup of coffee.

I would suggest Bottineau or Walhalla in the north, and Oakes or Lisbon in the south. Maybe Stanton or Garrison near the center. Its too busy out in western ND these days: mostly truck traffic.
Thank you for your input and the info. I am tired of the "California Lifestyle" the price you pay is too high and to have peace of mind here.

I do like the cold. I am always usually hot and have been that way all of my life. I like the fog. I don't want to live someplace where it is too sunny or hot. The worst is waiting in lines and long lines wherever you go. Also the traffic jams and congestion really bothers me. the anti-anxiety meds are not working in this case.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-15-2014 at 10:33 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
Hannah has everything you're looking for.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Hannah has everything you're looking for.
THANK you for that info. I will have to look into that.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
THANK you for that info. I will have to look into that.
He is joking...well kind of....Hannah is pretty much a ghost town up along the manitoba border nr langdon.. if fits yr criteria but just a wee bit small

Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
He is joking...well kind of....Hannah is pretty much a ghost town up along the manitoba border nr langdon.. if fits yr criteria but just a wee bit small
That sounds great to me being here over half of my lifetime in expensive, crowded place and having to wait in long lines and gridlock wherever I go.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Quote:
That sounds great to me being here over half of my lifetime in expensive, crowded place and having to wait in long lines and gridlock wherever I go.
Don't you need to work, or are you retiring?

Some of the commutes from small towns in ND can be rather frazzling in the winter.

Compared to what you are used to, Fargo, Grand Forks, or Bismarck don't have any traffic, lines, or commutes.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Don't you need to work, or are you retiring?

Some of the commutes from small towns in ND can be rather frazzling in the winter.

Compared to what you are used to, Fargo, Grand Forks, or Bismarck don't have any traffic, lines, or commutes.
Well I have 30 years service but can only count on 26 of them via pension since my divorce.

If I continue to live here I must work until who knows? forever?

If and when housing market fully recovers here I would like to do what my best friend in theory did who is now deceased. He sold his home and purchase a new one in cash and retired.
The houses here took a dive so many of us owe more on our mortgages than what the house is worth.
He got out in just a nick of time before this happened.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Is there a Costco or a 24 hrs. Fitness health club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota