Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:18 PM

559 posts, read 1,467,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnjmiller View Post
I agree I work for MD Totco and only pull in 5,000.00 a month at the most and at the lowest I pull in 3200.00 take home after taxes and benefits.In 1987 I got 8.75 an hour for Burris Drilling,and 8.65 an hour for Exetor drilling.
I would kill to bring in that much money a month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM

559 posts, read 1,467,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
I sure wouldn't complain if I was you. Even at $3200/month BEFORE taxes, you'd still be making $6000+ more a year than the Sept 2008 State average wage of $33100.

I don't know where you came here from, but I bet if you figure it out, your your living expenses here are a HECK of a lot less here than they were there.

In 2005, the state average wage was $29800.
Eh, the living expenses here are comparable to most other parts of the states. Gas is more expensive, actually, and so are some of the entertainment, such as movies and the mall. Living expenses here are very much the same as they were when I was living in Dallas.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,707 times
I am looking for 2 refrigeration/kitchen equipment/ techs that can repair and maintain
thay must also know electrical and plumbing. This is for a few of the man camps at the
oil field in north dakota. Reply to alan at aurora refrigeration anchorage alaska
907-250-1183

Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM

25 posts, read 67,996 times
i have called several staffing agencies,, starting pay is $15/hr, Not worth the move at that entry level rate. jc

Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,364,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68427vette View Post
i have called several staffing agencies,, starting pay is $15/hr, Not worth the move at that entry level rate. jc
I worked for a staffing agency, $15/hr and you're averaging 60 hours a week minimum equates to $54,600 a year. BUT you only work for the staffing agency for 30-90 days then you are hired on by the company where you can easily earn more than that.

Hmmm, maybe next time do a little more research. And also, there are other entry level jobs that pay more that aren't through staffing agencies if you look for them.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM

what are the other JOBS, paying more??
i have a College degree, Marketing, own two Companies,(sold them this year) and have 20+ years of experience, working 70+ hrs a week,

I'm built like a Brick **** house, 6'2, 225lbs, and can bench press 450lbs,, so i can handle any "hard working job: that ND can offer,, $15-20 starting,, doesnt get me ticking....Heck, i pay my guys that.... For all the recruits out there please share some info.. I"m in OHIO,, its depressing here.... looking to relocate.. and a **** test is no problem, and No tickets or felonies,, Its seams there is all this posting about 85-120,000 jobs,, but someone 's missing the BIG boat,, of Highly Qualified Applicants. I have 15 trucks, and a Fith wheel to get up there, for housing,, I've called several locations,, not much parking etc. I can make 50K this winter on my snow plowing contracts,, i just need a change,,, PA, or Colorado, or ND,, burned out, want to start, new career. jc

Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,364,490 times
Quote:
what are the other JOBS, paying more??
i have a College degree, Marketing, own two Companies,(sold them this year) and have 20+ years of experience, working 70+ hrs a week,

I'm built like a Brick **** house, 6'2, 225lbs, and can bench press 450lbs,, so i can handle any "hard working job: that ND can offer,, $15-20 starting,, doesnt get me ticking....Heck, i pay my guys that.... For all the recruits out there please share some info.. I"m in OHIO,, its depressing here.... looking to relocate.. and a **** test is no problem, and No tickets or felonies,, Its seams there is all this posting about 85-120,000 jobs,, but someone 's missing the BIG boat,, of Highly Qualified Applicants. I have 15 trucks, and a Fith wheel to get up there, for housing,, I've called several locations,, not much parking etc. I can make 50K this winter on my snow plowing contracts,, i just need a change,,, PA, or Colorado, or ND,, burned out, want to start, new career. jc
All this posting about 85-120,000 jobs? I think we've all said the same thing, approximately 10,000+ jobs in the Williston area.

Look, you paid your guys $15-$20/hr when you had a business. But you don't now, and you said that it's depressing where you are. You need a change of scenery, that's fine. But if you don't like what you can make up here then don't come up here. Look into Colorado or Pennsylvania, but I can tell you that if your looking to get into the oil industry then North Dakota is where you will make the most money.

Your college degree in marketing is almost worthless up here.

You want the truth? Your attitude sucks and if you can't improve it you will have one hell of a hard time no matter what state you apply in for an oil job. You may have worked in your field for 20+ years, but you haven't put the time into the oilfield and you WILL be a green hat and you WILL be doing grunt jobs until you have the experience in the field and you EARN the respect of those you work for.

My husband came into this field knowing he didn't know a damn thing about how to do his job and worked as hard as he could to learn how to do it. In 3 years he was promoted to a position that takes most people 10 years to get. He switched companies and is doing the same thing, working as hard as he can and learning as much as he can about his new position while staying HUMBLE.

A highly qualified applicant in the oilfield has oilfield experience. Your just like all the other people that come up here looking for work, except a lot of them are GRATEFUL to find a decent paying job.

By all means if you can't accept the idea that you will be the low man on the totem pole and you will have a lot to learn and you will have to start at entry level then please - don't come here.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I would kill to bring in that much money a month!
I live 10 miles outside of Boston MA. My personal expenses run over $6,000 a month. I have no wife, child or even pet to support. I never go 'out' or take a vacation either. My car is a 2009 Honda Civic with 21,000 miles that is paid for completely.. Just getting by on temp jobs and investment gains since 2009

Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,059,811 times
Quote:
If you aren't working then it certainly IS worth it. Remember that after six months of being unemployed you are essentially unemployable PERIOD

Old 09-23-2011, 05:26 AM

I'm not depressed, its depressing here because all the Obama money wrecks, mulit kid, welfare junkies and scabs, are killing this country.,, its getting pretty bad.. and i'm tired of seeing pajamas wearing ten kid toting people all the time,, if you get my drift.. i'd have no problem starting another career, and i'm sure i'd be like your husband, climbing the ladder fast. I will be running one division of one of those companies within 5 years.

LOL,, i thought the same thing about my college degree,, 6 years of fun,, is all its worth.. but i'd have to look back, and say it was still worth it.

and how do you have My personal expenses run over $6,000 a month

and you drive a HONDA? a paid off honda.. at that.

i'm not unemployed,, semi-retired at 37, i collect a 12% Consulting fee (LOL) on my ($815,000) old plus any new contracts, plus i have several other side companies that i have retained(commercial sandblasting(buildings/bridges and HOT RODS) and irrigation systems.))

yea, i'm looking into Colorado,, just wanted to get a taste first...

lisan23, i appreciate you honesty, but $15 dollars an hour, freezing temps, no place to live, 80+ hours a week. maybe exciting to most. but i am a realist, and like to look at all the angles first. yes there's money to be made, Heck, there's money to be made everywhere in this country,, if you do the time and do the work. i built my companies 100 hours a week at a time, something that the younger generation better get a grip on.....
i have a laugh everyday, when all the "cubical kids" come out for lunch from 11-1pm,, and then scurry back into their holes before "lunch is over" LOL you may appreciate that, or maybe your husband will....

i just got called on a job $28/hr plus lots of overtime.. well see....pay cut, but willing to climb the ladder with my other income to offset the cut.
jc

Last edited by 68427vette; 09-23-2011 at 06:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota