Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,091,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68427vette View Post
I'm not depressed, its depressing here because all the Obama money wrecks, mulit kid, welfare junkies and scabs, are killing this country.,, its getting pretty bad.. and i'm tired of seeing pajamas wearing ten kid toting people all the time,, if you get my drift.. i'd have no problem starting another career, and i'm sure i'd be like your husband, climbing the ladder fast. I will be running one division of one of those companies within 5 years.

LOL,, i thought the same thing about my college degree,, 6 years of fun,, is all its worth.. but i'd have to look back, and say it was still worth it.

and how do you have My personal expenses run over $6,000 a month

and you drive a HONDA? a paid off honda.. at that.

i'm not unemployed,, semi-retired at 37, i collect a 12% Consulting fee (LOL) on my ($815,000) old plus any new contracts, plus i have several other side companies that i have retained(commercial sandblasting(buildings/bridges and HOT RODS) and irrigation systems.))

yea, i'm looking into Colorado,, just wanted to get a taste first...

lisan23, i appreciate you honesty, but $15 dollars an hour, freezing temps, no place to live, 80+ hours a week. maybe exciting to most. but i am a realist, and like to look at all the angles first. yes there's money to be made, Heck, there's money to be made everywhere in this country,, if you do the time and do the work. i built my companies 100 hours a week at a time, something that the younger generation better get a grip on.....
i have a laugh everyday, when all the "cubical kids" come out for lunch from 11-1pm,, and then scurry back into their holes before "lunch is over" LOL you may appreciate that, or maybe your husband will....

i just got called on a job $28/hr plus lots of overtime.. well see....pay cut, but willing to climb the ladder with my other income to offset the cut.
jc
You obviously do not fit the mold of what is going on. Don't get me wrong, you have done very well for yourself and will continue to do so. The money in North Dakota is just not your cup of tea.

Right now, North Dakota is offering money that can not be had, anywhere else in the country. It's not money for everybody. But think about this. A person with no, or very little formal school training, has the opportunity to make money like they have never seen before. They are blue collar workers that are used to doing what they can to get by. Here is an opportunity to get ahead, way ahead.

It's understandable that people are excited and calling it big money. It's also understandable that you call it "Not worth it". But look at their side. They've been plugging away at $10-12 an hour and getting overtime, occassionally. They now have an opportunity to hit $20+ an hour (within a very short time) and put in 80 hours a week. For once in their life they've hit it and are able to collect and possibly put their family in a good place and be comfortable. They are getting ahead. Paying off bills, paying off loans, and finally seeing some coin in their bank account.

Most importantly, they are doing something they like, with great enthusiasm, and their family is now giving a big sigh of relief.

The North Dakota oilfields are probably not for you. That's ok. It's great for a very large number of folks. Don't come on here and spoil their dreams or tell them their dreams aren't worth a crap. Those dreams are theirs. They are the ones living it. They are the ones that must continue to live those dreams.

The North Dakota money is being made by good, honest, hard working, blue collar workers who could care less what division superintendents make. They are concerned with themselves and their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,363,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68427vette View Post

lisan23, i appreciate you honesty, but $15 dollars an hour, freezing temps, no place to live, 80+ hours a week. maybe exciting to most. but i am a realist, and like to look at all the angles first. yes there's money to be made, Heck, there's money to be made everywhere in this country,, if you do the time and do the work. i built my companies 100 hours a week at a time, something that the younger generation better get a grip on.....
i have a laugh everyday, when all the "cubical kids" come out for lunch from 11-1pm,, and then scurry back into their holes before "lunch is over" LOL you may appreciate that, or maybe your husband will....

i just got called on a job $28/hr plus lots of overtime.. well see....pay cut, but willing to climb the ladder with my other income to offset the cut.
jc
Your funny. You admittedly can't hack it up here, but then you say that the younger generation better get a grip on this. Meanwhile, that younger generation is the one that's actually coming up here and working their tails off to support themselves.

Seems like you have no problem judging a bunch of people you don't know, including my generation since I'm part of that younger generation of apparent cubicle kids.

You didn't actually hear a single thing I said to you, your attitude is "holier than thou" and you apparently know more about me and my generation than you do about yourself.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM

25 posts, read 67,984 times
Most importantly, they are doing something they like, with great enthusiasm, and their family is now giving a big sigh of relief.

amen,, i wouldnt expect anything else from you as a response,, after reading your past 20 post.. hey i understand and its refreshing to see a great work force, very refreshing.. but with that said, there is alot of turn over, of kids 20-30yrs, who cant make the cut,, and i'm glad you and your husband can cut it.

Is great to see, people working for their dream, and off unemployment checks!!!!!.....

listen i've hired and fired more people in 17 years, then most people know in a life time, if you do the time, and can hack it, you make the money,,BUT
, i'm not moving 1600 miles with a family for $15 an hour, no housing, freezing temps, NO WAY...NO HOW... i'm not trying to curb anyone dreams,, but those reading this, should FULLY understand the work load, the hours, etc and take a look at themselves,, and their families...

and ps,, i can out work,, anyone,, and i'd bet 100K on that one. thanks for your brute honesty, oh yes i could hack it...., after surfing for a month, people should realize this, and my comment on the cubical crowd, well, if funny to me.

If you break it down, there are two types of people, leaders and followers. well there 's one more, the desperate

Two great saying my father told me:

1, "you can't get rich, making another man's money"

but you can provide!!!

2. "make your money with your back, or your brains, once your
back is done, you've better have a brain."

if you read my post, i'm proud, almost at awe at the GREAT ACHIEVEMENTS/Sacifices, what fathers/ mothers, and families are doing to provide, the BASICS of life: food, shelter, a home, and i mean "a HOME" in ND.. this entitlement crude has got to go!!

IN America, ND, is leading by example, hard work, sacifices,, for the greater good of the family,, amen,, amen to all of you.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM

231 posts, read 873,617 times
68427vette, my advice is for you to come here and see for yourself. I honestly don't think you would want to start all over working 80 hr weeks at the bottom of a totem pole. Since it seems you have some financial resources already you could capitalize on the building boom and start a construction crew, or invest in a vacuum truck and start a business. You could do this anywhere in Western North Dakota, from Bowman to Crosby to Minot. Support businesses are so overwhelmed that McDonalds is paying $15 hr. for people who work the lunch shift. Heck, put yourself through welding school during the winter (you wouldn't want to be here anyway for that). You can be 6G certified in Fargo in 6 weeks at Lynnes welding school.
Running with Oil: Welding for North Dakota oil companies | WDAY | Fargo, ND
(tell me if your jaw doesn't drop when he say's how much money they can make in a month at the end of the video)

Not everyone has the option to invest in a truck, or money to pay for welding school. Open a small restaurant, anything. The bottom line is if you have some financial resources, you might make more money servicing the newly hired, rather than being one of them.

http://www.runningwithoil.com/

Last edited by Tundra dweller; 09-23-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 PM

25 posts, read 67,984 times
yea, that may be the ticket,, i have 15 trucks sitting here, in columbus,, i could outfit them up, pretty easily,, and i can burn some stick/wire,, and have the sandblasting equipment, to clean the parts off etc... i have larger flat decks trucks to pick up large parts and larger 45ft flat deck 3 axle trailers also... hhmm,,, i'll look in to getting officially 6G certified.. thanks for the tip,, find a location/building would be the BIG problem,,

Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM

19 posts, read 54,834 times
how much does that welding school cost?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 PM

231 posts, read 873,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog07 View Post
how much does that welding school cost?

Welding Training Courses | Lynnes Welding Training

Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I am not from California but I would think 30,000.00/yr in North Dakota is about the same as 60,000.00 plus in California because of living expenses, land values, ect.

I moved from Indianapolis,IN to South Kentucky and 1500.00/month goes a lot farther here than there. Houses that rented for 900/mo in Indy go for 400/mo here.

I have been living in Minot for close to four years now, and what you said is pretty wrong. If you go to the Eastern part of the state (Fargo, Grand Forks, Jamestown) housing is cheaper. the further West you go be expecting a huge price difference. A 900 dollar home will be 2,000 up to 3,500. I have seen three bedrooms for 5,000.00. A one bedroom apartment for 900.00, not a house. So, no 30,000.00 in Minot, ND is not like 60,000 unless you find cheap housing...which housing is impossible to find on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota