Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:34 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times

Advertisements

Whenever populations increase, so does crime? It is natural. I wonder how western ND, and ND plan on dealing with this. The population grew so fast. How many more police officers does ND or Western ND municipalities plan on getting, and how they going to pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 02:24 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,067,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Yes. The World would be a lot better off WITHOUT do gooders with good intentions. LSS heads the list.
The Federal Government also deserves some of the blame. Money and resources that could be used to help current impoverished American citizens is instead used to help non-Americans. After all, the best way to reduce poverty in your country is to import even more impoverished people. What a genius economic plan.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:23 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
North Dakota's murder rate peaked in 2012, at 3.6 murders per 100,000. It is still below the national average. This is the worst ND has ever seen. That is also the year the North Dakota oil boom peaked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_oil_boom

Old 05-11-2016, 10:47 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,903,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Oh lord.... the type of people who would use drugs would use them if they lived in the middle of Manhattan. For the hard working and good folks there is always plenty to do.
I know! I would use drugs no matter where I lived. I just love snorting marijuana and smoking temazepam.

There is nothing like the rush of a good vicodin unless it is the accompanying constipation.

No offense to the OP, but it seems like every forum I have ever been on or lurked on, seems to have someone making a post about how concerned they are about crime and how this or that web site said that "it's terrible there."

I live in the oilfields and never lock my car and frequently forget to lock my door to my apartment.

The idea that one would take the whole state of ND, and completely write-off the Western half because the middle/upper/Western two or three counties might be "hot" according to some web site is nutty.

The only way to know if crime is bad in an area is to scope out a place where you might want to live and ask people living around there what they think of the crime there. Talk to people in the grocery store, look for people out walking their dogs or out with their kids what they think. ( Hint: areas where lots of people are out dog or kid-walking are likely to be nice and safe. )

People unwilling to do some leg-work deserve to sit inside their home scared and peeking out the shutters of their windows.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:24 PM

38 posts, read 115,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
I know! I would use drugs no matter where I lived. I just love snorting marijuana and smoking temazepam.

There is nothing like the rush of a good vicodin unless it is the accompanying constipation.

No offense to the OP, but it seems like every forum I have ever been on or lurked on, seems to have someone making a post about how concerned they are about crime and how this or that web site said that "it's terrible there."

I live in the oilfields and never lock my car and frequently forget to lock my door to my apartment.

The idea that one would take the whole state of ND, and completely write-off the Western half because the middle/upper/Western two or three counties might be "hot" according to some web site is nutty.

The only way to know if crime is bad in an area is to scope out a place where you might want to live and ask people living around there what they think of the crime there. Talk to people in the grocery store, look for people out walking their dogs or out with their kids what they think. ( Hint: areas where lots of people are out dog or kid-walking are likely to be nice and safe. )

People unwilling to do some leg-work deserve to sit inside their home scared and peeking out the shutters of their windows.
I read over my post and nowhere did I say anything about me hearing that it was "terrible" there. What I said was that I heard crime increased. Also, I said that I was going to MAKE A VISIT (to do some "leg work" as you call it) to the state this summer, so nowhere did I say I was going to base my opinion off of a website alone. I clearly can not visit every county in the state, therefore I thought I would ask people on this forum to get an idea of where to start. Most NORMAL people do that. We use ALL of the resources available. I think it's even nuttier to come on a website to insult people but then actually type "no offense" when you had every intention to offend.

I think your response just proved the person right when he/she said to stay to the east of the oil fields. If you (and people as condescending as you) are in that part of the state, I want to stay as far away as possible. I prefer kind people such as myself.

In any event, have a blessed day.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:54 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,903,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHomemaker View Post
I read over my post and nowhere did I say anything about me hearing that it was "terrible" there.
I was using what is known as hyperbole.

It is extremely common for people doing remote research to come to the conclusion that it is "terrible" there, where "there" is [ insert city name here ].

It's also not necessary to use the [quote] button to just copy every friggin' line I wrote and then just respond to the whole post which is directly above yours. There is a [Respond] button that would make more sense to use. It is a poor design feature to have the [quote] button appear in every post and to have only one [Reply] button at the bottom of the thread.
Quote:
Also, I said that I was going to MAKE A VISIT (to do some "leg work" as you call it) to the state this summer, so nowhere did I say I was going to base my opinion off of a website alone. I clearly can not visit every county in the state, therefore I thought I would ask people on this forum to get an idea of where to start. Most NORMAL people do that. We use ALL of the resources available.
Good. I was just emphasizing that there is no substitute for leg work. Again, I said "people" and not "The OP" or "WIHomaker." You just assumed that I was directing the comment at you. That's not kind.

My advice to look for child/dog walkers and talking to people is spot-on. Good for you if you were going to do that already. However people who start posts, don't own them, they are simply the OP posting the OP. Once the thread is out there, it's a resource for people considering moving. This is a moving site.

If anyone feels like adding anything, they should be able to do so without fearing recrimination by anyone else, especially the OP.
Quote:
I think it's even nuttier to come on a website to insult people but then actually type "no offense" when you had every intention to offend.
No offense was intended. I clearly said that that the posts show up on many other forums so it's nutty to take offense at comments not directed at you, but at the idea of jillions of other people assuming terribleness.
Quote:
I think your response just proved the person right when he/she said to stay to the east of the oil fields. If you (and people as condescending as you) are in that part of the state, I want to stay as far away as possible.

I prefer kind people such as myself.
"Kind?" You again, just wrote off a whole section of the state based on your assumption that one person out of hundreds of thousands was insulting you. That's just nutty.

People who live out here are the kindest people I have had the pleasure of interacting with on a regular basis.
Quote:
In any event, have a blessed day.
Oh. I love sarcasm. Here, your intent was to offend when you clearly don't want me to have one of those days. That's not kind either.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 05-12-2016 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 09:14 PM

Although it wasn't necessary to "copy every friggin' line" you wrote, it was an option and it was the option I chose. I chose the same option this time!

I never said I owned the thread so of course you can respond in whichever manner you choose but so can I. You didn't answer any questions I asked in my original post. You didn't add anything to THIS thread. If all you wanted to do was go on a rant or vent about what people say on the forums that you lurk on, you could have just started your own thread about that.

If you wanted to comment on this thread, it would have been more beneficial for you to actually add to it instead of throwing insults. Whether you were insulting me or the "jillions of other people" you referred to, why are you insulting anyone at all?

Also, I didn't ASSUME anything. You specifically responded to things I mentioned in my original post so please stop acting innocent.

In addition, I did not write off the entire western part of the state. I'm from WI so I clearly don't have a preference as to which part of ND I live in. If I come and visit areas in the eastern part and I like them, I'll move to one. Obviously, if I like the areas I visit in the eastern part of the state, there is no reason to keep looking. Yes, I COULD keep looking but there's no reason to. If I don't like the areas I visit in the eastern part, then I'll visit some areas in the western part of the state and if I like some of the places I visit in the western part, I'll move there instead. DUH! I don't know what's so hard to understand about that!

You say you love sarcasm and that is VERY CLEAR since all of your posts thus far have been full of it!

What's REALLY NUTTY is taking offense to someone (who you don't know) not wanting to live in your area of the state, then calling them unkind because they don't want to live there (even though I never flat out said I refuse to live there). How you can take that personally and say that's unkind makes me laugh! If someone who was thinking about moving to Wisconsin decides not to move to the southeastern part (where I live) for whatever reason, I'm not going to give a rat's behind! I would just give them as much information as I could about the area WITHOUT sarcasm or insults.

I see you were clearly just trying to kick up some dust on this thread so unlike you, I'm not taking anything personally. I'm not in the habit of arguing with complete strangers on forums so I'm ending this here. This has been VERY ENTERTAINING THOUGH!

I've said my peace and I assume you've said yours so AGAIN, have a blessed night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Good. I was just emphasizing that there is no substitute for leg work. Again, I said "people" and not "The OP" or "WIHomaker." You just assumed that I was directing the comment at you. That's not kind.

My advice to look for child/dog walkers and talking to people is spot-on. Good for you if you were going to do that already. However people who start posts, don't own them, they are simply the OP posting the OP. Once the thread is out there, it's a resource for people considering moving. This is a moving site.

If anyone feels like adding anything, they should be able to do so without fearing recrimination by anyone else, especially the OP.
No offense was intended. I clearly said that that the posts show up on many other forums so it's nutty to take offense at comments not directed at you, but at the idea of jillions of other people assuming terribleness.
"Kind?" You again, just wrote off a whole section of the state based on your assumption that one person out of hundreds of thousands was insulting you. That's just nutty.

People who live out here are the kindest people I have had the pleasure of interacting with on a regular basis.Oh. I love sarcasm. Here, your intent was to offend when you clearly don't want me to have one of those days. That's not kind either.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:47 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Hi there

I work at NWS Grand Forks (weather) and we have two guys from southeastern Wisconsin (Milwaukee suburbs) and the are passionate about hockey and footballl at UW-Madison. But outside of less trees....I do think the cities in the Red River valley such as Grand Forks and Fargo have always been more "Minnesota" like than farther west -- meaning that we look toward the Twin Cities as our big city to go too. Versus in the west it is more Denver or at least a toss up. You will find both cities and surrounding areas have stable growth....with Fargo pretty strong and steady the last upteem years. That will not change with oil or without. Fargo attracts a lot of folks due to its metro area....West Fargo haven grown very fast...due to its amenities of shopping, education, and overall quality of life. Due to increase in size, yes there has been more profile crime than say 5-10 years ago. Unfortunately as in most of the country. a lot is fueled by the drug trade and thus for the everyday citizen not impacted on a grand scale. I like the Grand Forks area....a bit smaller and of course very hockey mad. That is if you like college hockey.

Bismarck has been growing fast too and being the government center has a well mixed job growth pattern and can easily survive any oil downturn on a long term basis. Minot has the very large air base nearby and was growing fast due to some past new missions there in the past 5 years and then it being close to oil regions. But Minot it seems has some issues with the city government and overall seems to be handling growth a bit rougher. My wife is from Minot by the way. If any area of the state I would be the most leery it would be Minot until some structural city government issues are resolved.

Dan

Old 05-13-2016, 11:50 AM

I'm actually planning to visit the Fargo and Grand Forks areas in the next couple of months so that is good to know. Thanks for such detailed info. I appreciate it!

Old 05-14-2016, 01:10 PM

576 posts, read 832,351 times
While you are there, check out Casselton, Harwood, Horace, Kindred etc... All bedroom communities within an easy drive of Fargo, but much slower paced (because you said earlier you were looking forward to being bored!). Cost of living would probably be lower there also.

Not too familiar with the Grand Forks area, but Kamsack has already provided you with good details of that. Also, I agree with him about Minot... I would stay away from there for several reasons.

Bismarck is a great city, but very expensive right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota