Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times

Advertisements

Yeah I agree, from the time I grew up there 15 years ago to now, it hasn't really progressed at all. It's remained stagnant, maybe even started a decline a little bit. It's almost like it's too blue collar, where people who live in Highland have the type of jobs that don't see significant pay raises like you would have in white collar jobs. I'll tell you one thing though, the Hamptons apartments just off of 45th are starting to get a little shady. There's no gangs in Highland High School and there's not a big crime or drug problem, it's just the town doesn't have many affluent homeowners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Yeah I agree, from the time I grew up there 15 years ago to now, it hasn't really progressed at all. It's remained stagnant, maybe even started a decline a little bit. It's almost like it's too blue collar, where people who live in Highland have the type of jobs that don't see significant pay raises like you would have in white collar jobs. I'll tell you one thing though, the Hamptons apartments just off of 45th are starting to get a little shady. There's no gangs in Highland High School and there's not a big crime or drug problem, it's just the town doesn't have many affluent homeowners.

Don't be naïve. All high schools have drug problems..

The worst drug problems tend to be among rich kids (cocaine) and poor kids (crack/meth). Middle class high schools have less of a drug problem (marijuana).

I've heard some crazy stories about the stuff that goes on in those upscale private schools. Stories that involve rampant drinking and drug use among the student body.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:25 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

The worst drug problems tend to be among rich kids (cocaine) and poor kids (crack/meth). Middle class high schools have less of a drug problem (marijuana).

I've heard some crazy stories about the stuff that goes on in those upscale private schools. Stories that involve rampant drinking and drug use among the student body.
svillechris said that the schools don't have a BIG drug problem, not that they didn't have one at all. And about those crazy stories you have heard about those in private school? They probably are true. However the reality is that while kids in rich suburban public or private schools may drink a lot and party a lot, at the end of the day it is may not be their way of life. They can go to the mall, the movies, other youth friendly activities with ease. Those in poorer rural schools usually occupy themselves with binge drinking and drugs in their down time as the nearest form of entertainment may be an hour away and be more expensive than doing drugs and drinking at home.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

As Northwest Indiana indicated, I never said that there weren't drugs in Highland schools. Of course there are, there's drugs in every school in every town. The point was that there is not a drug problem in the schools, which could be a determining factor for someone trying to figure out if a move to Highland is smart for their family. I went to Valparaiso High School and believe me, there's plenty of drugs there. But, there isn't a drug problem to the extent as to tarnish the image and attractivness of Valparaiso and its schools.

Last edited by svillechris; 09-29-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 AM

Default I really hope this goes through. It's working for Munster!

This is a problem that does need to be controlled. Sad, but true! I hope this works!

Highland seeks rental housing controls (http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/highland/article_71a1e581-12d5-5b1f-b66d-37eff5e9908a.html?mode=story - broken link)

Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 AM

17,425 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
This is a problem that does need to be controlled. Sad, but true! I hope this works!

Highland seeks rental housing controls (http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/highland/article_71a1e581-12d5-5b1f-b66d-37eff5e9908a.html?mode=story - broken link)
I'm not a fan of MORE governmental interference - but I do see the flip side.

Cal City tried this ... but the program just got cut for budget concerns. They were taking this program to the extreme - property owners has to reside in town OR you had to appoint a property manager who lived within a 10 mile radius. Last time I checked, other business owners weren't held to that same standard.

Anyhow - the big problem I have with these programs (well, in addition to the residency requirement & having to sit for 8 hour class) is their crime policy which allows landlords to be fined or charged if a crime happens on the property. In theory, it's a superb idea, but in practice ... sketchy. Let's say I have a great tenant, causes no problems, blah blah blah, but she allows her grandson to visit and he is a delinquent. Yep, landlord takes the fall.

How the hell am I supposed to control that?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'm not a fan of MORE governmental interference - but I do see the flip side.

Cal City tried this ... but the program just got cut for budget concerns. They were taking this program to the extreme - property owners has to reside in town OR you had to appoint a property manager who lived within a 10 mile radius. Last time I checked, other business owners weren't held to that same standard.

Anyhow - the big problem I have with these programs (well, in addition to the residency requirement & having to sit for 8 hour class) is their crime policy which allows landlords to be fined or charged if a crime happens on the property. In theory, it's a superb idea, but in practice ... sketchy. Let's say I have a great tenant, causes no problems, blah blah blah, but she allows her grandson to visit and he is a delinquent. Yep, landlord takes the fall.

How the hell am I supposed to control that?
And see...I 100% agree with you on this...but at the end of the day, I think most towns are willing to take that risk. It is either do nothing and anticipate more crime or do something and anticipate less crime. The latter sounds a little more attractive to me.

As far as the landlord being fined for a crime on the property...I think this should happen ONLY IF the landlord rented to someone with a criminal background...if the crime by the tenant was a first offense or something, then I would not fine the landlord...but if the landlord is renting to someone who has a moderate to serious criminal background and a crime happens, I feel as though the landlord should be held somewhat responsible. That is just my opinion. I have seen too many rentals being rented to just anyone.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
And see...I 100% agree with you on this...but at the end of the day, I think most towns are willing to take that risk. It is either do nothing and anticipate more crime or do something and anticipate less crime. The latter sounds a little more attractive to me.

As far as the landlord being fined for a crime on the property...I think this should happen ONLY IF the landlord rented to someone with a criminal background...if the crime by the tenant was a first offense or something, then I would not fine the landlord...but if the landlord is renting to someone who has a moderate to serious criminal background and a crime happens, I feel as though the landlord should be held somewhat responsible. That is just my opinion. I have seen too many rentals being rented to just anyone.
Criminal background checks can be costly ... here's a thought (and I wish I would've brought this up to Cal City) - towns that choose to implement the regulations on landlords should provide free criminal background checks on prospective tenants.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 AM

I haven't yet done the research to find any statistics that would support this, but I would have to think that the number of Section 8 tenants has increased in the past few years, since their rent payments are essentially guaranteed (as subsidized by the PHA), so more landlords elect for these types of tenants. With the obvious downsides of offering Section 8 housing, shouldn't there be more liability/risk for a landlord who brings in these tenants enforced by the town that may feel the adverse effects of such tenants?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
I haven't yet done the research to find any statistics that would support this, but I would have to think that the number of Section 8 tenants has increased in the past few years, since their rent payments are essentially guaranteed (as subsidized by the PHA), so more landlords elect for these types of tenants. With the obvious downsides of offering Section 8 housing, shouldn't there be more liability/risk for a landlord who brings in these tenants enforced by the town that may feel the adverse effects of such tenants?
Oh, I dunno Chris. If you're a Section 8 recipient and you get evicted due to drugs, you lose your voucher for a few years. So actually, you're probably more likely to not have drug problem tenants if you accept Section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana