Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:22 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Earlier this year, it sure was looking like Oak Street Commons was going to happen this spring. However it can't really go forward without a lead tenant, which they don't seem to have in writing yet, so its stalled again. I highly doubt it would be Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's or Von Maur. Though Von Maur (since its a family run business), I think would be more of a possibility then the other two, which have never shown any real interest in NW Indiana (both corporate chains). Its still a long shot for that one.

If NW Indiana really wants a truly upscale department store, someone local is going to have to create one from scratch. Chains rarely deviate from how they plan new stores, and NW Indiana's geography, population centers, and wealth doesn't work well with that system of planning. I know it sucks, we all know they would likely have success but they only look at certain things which make NW Indiana not look as good as it is.

Macy's or JCPenney's are more likely. I think its probably JCPenney's due to the size that the developers are showing for the lead store (100,000 sq. ft.) and that JCPenney has been opening stores in that size range lately.

The restaurant business seems to be coming out of the recession with all the recent announcements. Panera will open in May, with the Five Guys, Firehouse Subs, Chipotle later this year in Munster Shops. Then we get a second Chipotle in Highland with a Noodles a Company. Then we hear of a new shrimp place and a new bar in Ultra Plaza. I don't know with storefronts they are taking there, but I am guessing the shrimp place would want the old taco bell.

I don't know if anybody noticed, but they started building the second phase of the small commercial building on Main Street in Highland behind the Target (on the other side of the RR tracks). Haven't heard about tenants in there yet.

I guess we will see if Oak Street Commons starts this year or not. There are signs of life in a few places so maybe it will happen before too long. Maybe we will see a new proposal for the Main Street Shops site too.
Unfortunately, I honestly think it might be a JCPenney's as well. Even though I do not shop at this store, there is nothing wrong with the store in and of itself...It's just that I am tired of mediocre development after mediocre development being replicated in this area. I mean, we need something truly unique. Now if some smaller boutique stores open in the Oak Street Commons that carry high-end brands, that might be okay. If it were a Macy's (which I don't think it would be), I think it would be much better only because Macy's can carry many of the high-end brands depending on their location.

Macy's has very recently opened a store (I forgot the location) that is a concept in a strip center (just like JCPenney's)...that is the only reason I have a little hope that it could be Macy's...but JCPenney's has pretty much abandoned the traditional mall concept and is one of the only major stores that is really onto this new idea. Also, since the area is in between River Oaks and Southlake, it would make sense to put a JCP there. It seems like other stores (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kohls) follow this trend.

Also, the Shops on Main was supposed to be devloped by Bruce Boyer, but I think he 100% abandoned that idea to focus on Munster Shops.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 04-23-2011 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

Also, the Shops on Main was supposed to be developed by Bruce Boyer, but I think he 100% abandoned that idea to focus on Munster Shops.
Well, with Shops on Main, he had/has a partner developer, due to its large size. I think the partner was the senior developer, if I remember correctly. Boyer was providing the real estate and the other developer was bringing the money for the actual buildings. I don't remember for sure, who was doing what anymore so don't quote me on that. So with the fallout in the recession put that project into the dead pile. They will likely have to figure out who owns what too, so that will delay anything going there.

Where as the shops of Munster is all his, and much smaller. It can have up to 15 storefronts, which is going to be far easier to fill (still a tough job in this economy) then shops on main ever would.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I really don't have anything to add, except I always think that Highland is Indiana's Lansing. I don't know how I've gotten that stuck in my head, but it's always been my perception.
Man your hating on Lansing again that was a complete different thread
let it die out, its dead!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Man your hating on Lansing again that was a complete different thread
let it die out, its dead!
Chuckity's comment is more than 6 months old, why don't you let it die out?

Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,571 times
So due to my curiousity, I contacted the town manager of Schererville, Bob Volkmann, to ask about the status of Oak Street Commons and the empty retail spaces in the area.

What he said was that Oak Street Commons is still an open case with the Plan Commission but unfortunately the economic market conditions have not proven conducive to breaking ground quite yet. Essentially, Precision continues to actively market their site and communicates regularly with town staff and elected officials, and they're working aggressively to make this project a reality. Currently nothing has changed, but he's still very hopefully that it will soon when market conditions [continue to] pick up.

Then I asked him about what I had previously read back in October of last year about how there was an anchor that was close to signing a deal. I also asked if he had any information on the strip mall just south of Lowe's on 41. Specifically, where the Circuit City used to be and the vacant spaces in that area.

He responded by saying that the anchor tenant from October didn’t work out but he doesn’t think that their efforts are focused on just one potential anchor. Something that I found surprising was that he said Discovery Clothing is locating in the center south of Lowe’s in the Circuit City space. Currently, Discovery Clothing is on the southeast corner of Main and 41, right by Alberts. He said the town is processing permits for them now. As for the rest of the space, he's heard rumors that everything else is under contract, but didn't know anything for sure.

Just wanted to pass along that information...

Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
So due to my curiousity, I contacted the town manager of Schererville, Bob Volkmann, to ask about the status of Oak Street Commons and the empty retail spaces in the area.

What he said was that Oak Street Commons is still an open case with the Plan Commission but unfortunately the economic market conditions have not proven conducive to breaking ground quite yet. Essentially, Precision continues to actively market their site and communicates regularly with town staff and elected officials, and they're working aggressively to make this project a reality. Currently nothing has changed, but he's still very hopefully that it will soon when market conditions [continue to] pick up.

Then I asked him about what I had previously read back in October of last year about how there was an anchor that was close to signing a deal. I also asked if he had any information on the strip mall just south of Lowe's on 41. Specifically, where the Circuit City used to be and the vacant spaces in that area.

He responded by saying that the anchor tenant from October didn’t work out but he doesn’t think that their efforts are focused on just one potential anchor. Something that I found surprising was that he said Discovery Clothing is locating in the center south of Lowe’s in the Circuit City space. Currently, Discovery Clothing is on the southeast corner of Main and 41, right by Alberts. He said the town is processing permits for them now. As for the rest of the space, he's heard rumors that everything else is under contract, but didn't know anything for sure.

Just wanted to pass along that information...
Thanks for finding that information out! Also, is Mr. Volkmann confusing Discovery Clothing with DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse)? Many people confuse the two and DSW is typically takes up a lot of sq. footage mostly closer in size to the Circuit City. I don't think Discovery Clothing would need that much space at all.

Also, was he at liberty to say who the proposed anchor from October was? I am assuming that unless there is absolutely no chance of that tenant working out, he would be at liberty to speak about it. But I am no legal expert.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Thanks for finding that information out! Also, is Mr. Volkmann confusing Discovery Clothing with DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse)? Many people confuse the two and DSW is typically takes up a lot of sq. footage mostly closer in size to the Circuit City. I don't think Discovery Clothing would need that much space at all.

Also, was he at liberty to say who the proposed anchor from October was? I am assuming that unless there is absolutely no chance of that tenant working out, he would be at liberty to speak about it. But I am no legal expert.
Yeah you're probably right about him meaning DSW. He didn't say who the October tenant was, but I'll email him back to ask these questions.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,150 times
Highland is ripe for decline, IMO.

I grew up in Munster, schooled K-12 there, and still have family there. Thus, I go visit once in a while, despite living in the northern suburbs of Chicago now.

Driving through Highland, I was surprised at how dilapidated it looks. I was more disappointed in Griffith, but how that relates to highland is that Griffith seems to be on the decline and is directly adjacent. North of Highland is Hammond, which isn't exactly desirable to say the least. Highland, eventually, will slip too.

When I see Highland, I see a mature small city with older middle class housing stock, and a blue-collar type of population. Not a bad place, but not a destination many people would aspire to get to. The schools are ordinary as well.

If people want a more upscale (for NW Indiana, anyway) community closer to the highway and Chicago, Munster's the choice. The housing stock is better (some old, some new), and the schools are better. There's no competition.

If people want new, larger houses at a good price, and view that as a priority, they'll go south of Route 30 and deal with being far from the highway/access to Chicago.

Highland doesn't fit in either value proposition.

Bottom line is Highland will decline in future years. It's seen it's better days.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioklogjr View Post
I think this is going to be WAY too much retail for such a small area. Lynwood,IL wants a shopping area, then there is already Lansing/Calumet City, then you have Southlake, then Highland Grove/ Schererville and now Munster. Do we REALLY need all of these shopping districts? I think the the Munster plan is really in the worst location. I mean, Calumet is a residential four lane street south of Ridge with houses. I-80/94 is way too the north, so no highway frontage. I guess if a train station is built behind the center near 45th, then it would make more sense. Futhermore, why would Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, or any other upscale department store want to locate to NWI? I'm sorry but NWI and the Southern Burbs aren't ready for anything above Macy's. Stores such as Target, Kmart, Kohl's, JCP, Carson's, Walmart, T.J.Maxx, Marshalls, Old Navy, Burlington Coat Factory, and the like are what this area would support; and we already have all of those. I fail to understand why you feel that upscale department stores would make it in the area. They won't. Income levels for the area are not high enough.
Look at the average household incomes for Munster, Schererville, Saint John, and Dyer. The area can definitely support higher end retail. Maybe not so much the south suburbs but the retail area would not be exclusively high-end. There would just be the option. Also, the new retail is not designed to be a huge mall. It will be in a town center format to the likes of Burr Ridge Village Center, Geneva Commons. It won't be as large or in a traditional mall layout like Woodfield or anything like that. Yes traffic will increase, but it will still be tolerable. The same goes for the development in Schererville.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlay View Post
Highland is ripe for decline, IMO.

I grew up in Munster, schooled K-12 there, and still have family there. Thus, I go visit once in a while, despite living in the northern suburbs of Chicago now.

Driving through Highland, I was surprised at how dilapidated it looks. I was more disappointed in Griffith, but how that relates to highland is that Griffith seems to be on the decline and is directly adjacent. North of Highland is Hammond, which isn't exactly desirable to say the least. Highland, eventually, will slip too.

When I see Highland, I see a mature small city with older middle class housing stock, and a blue-collar type of population. Not a bad place, but not a destination many people would aspire to get to. The schools are ordinary as well.

If people want a more upscale (for NW Indiana, anyway) community closer to the highway and Chicago, Munster's the choice. The housing stock is better (some old, some new), and the schools are better. There's no competition.

If people want new, larger houses at a good price, and view that as a priority, they'll go south of Route 30 and deal with being far from the highway/access to Chicago.

Highland doesn't fit in either value proposition.

Bottom line is Highland will decline in future years. It's seen it's better days.
I would not say Highland (as a whole) is dilapidated, but there are some areas that need help. However, Highland has not really declined much. The demographics are roughly the same (not saying that any change is racial demographics is a decline) but while there has not been a decline in population, it hasn't really grown that much (only 0.8%) either. As of now, it can go either way. It is in a somewhat stagnant position (except for the retail options in the southwest side of town that has improved a great deal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana