Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 18,958 times

Advertisements

This post has been extremely helpful! Thank you to everyone that responded to what I added, I truly appreciate everyone's honesty. My family is still looking into NW Indiana but I do have some concerns. After reading some of the links I'm still apprehensive. I would prefer to move to an area where I can simply raise my family and stay for several years. I am not sure if NW Indiana is a good fit or not? Sadly in 2009 this is still an issue?!? Anybody have any other suggestions? We are looking to relocate from IL to an area with great schools that is racially diverse. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 17,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOBELINK View Post
Thanks Tom Jefferson, Domergurl and PCG for your comments. I've spoken with a few people since the post, and will be paying in another visit in a couple of weeks to attempt to get a better fell for the area, and make up my mind.
Its official, we are moving to Valpo!!. Good schools, quaint restaurants, good subdivisions, close to lakes (not sure what winter will be like). Racism, Diversity ??, my 10 and 3 year old daughters wrote a poem that took care of that (won't bore you with the details). Suffice it to say that change doesn't come about from inaction, and is better effected from within, having said all that, I saw nothing overt or otherwise on my trip.
Time will tell, will update after we move see if anything changes.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:15 PM

49 posts, read 105,366 times
My fiance is from Valpo... Born and raised. His parents are both teachers. Music and physical education in two school districts close by (not valpo specifically). I know there is a very large mix of race between whites and blacks. My fiance's mothers speaks frequently about her beautiful classroom kids and how wonderful they are. A lot of the kids they teach are very poor and come from difficult families and they try to help the kids out at much as possible with extra activities, programs, etc. From what I know Valpo is a relatively safe community. Great school. Close to CHI if you want to go into the city. I've never heard of any problem with racism in Valpo. My fiance's parents are both white, in their 50's and very accepting of every color. My fiance's mother says, "I wouldn't care if a person was purple, I'd love them anyways. " So sweet. Also good to know is if you are looking for a good chunk of land and decent size house its definitely available there. They have a nice four bedroom house on a 2 acre lot right on the edge of town. Its beautiful. Quiet. Perfect. I'd say go for it. Plus, Orville Redenbacher is from Valpo... Who can say no to the popcorn festival every year!?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,133 times
Default good luck

Check out chesterton the majority is white but there are a few hispanic and african american. YOU'll love it!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor.52719 View Post
This post has been extremely helpful! Thank you to everyone that responded to what I added, I truly appreciate everyone's honesty. My family is still looking into NW Indiana but I do have some concerns. After reading some of the links I'm still apprehensive. I would prefer to move to an area where I can simply raise my family and stay for several years. I am not sure if NW Indiana is a good fit or not? Sadly in 2009 this is still an issue?!? Anybody have any other suggestions? We are looking to relocate from IL to an area with great schools that is racially diverse. Thanks again!!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 PM

33 posts, read 129,297 times
Red face Is African Americans accepted in Merrillville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Quite honestly, you will not find diversity in Valpo schools - Valpo schools are overwhelmingly white (something close to 90%) with black students coming in at around 2-3%, hispanic at 5%.

The most diverse school district in NWI is probably Merrillville - but the school district doesn't necessarily have a good academic reputation.

www.greatschools.net is a good place to start looking.
I was told otherwise. I keep hearing that Merrillville has a great school system. I will be moving to this area in a few days and I am also a African American. Is there anything I should know as a black man trying to raise a decent family in this area? I moved from Chicago to the south suburbs for safety reasons and now Im on my way to NWI.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJay View Post
I was told otherwise. I keep hearing that Merrillville has a great school system. I will be moving to this area in a few days and I am also a African American. Is there anything I should know as a black man trying to raise a decent family in this area? I moved from Chicago to the south suburbs for safety reasons and now Im on my way to NWI.
Great in comparison to what?

It's really not a he said/she said argument - you can check greatschools.net to see how Merillville stacks up. I believe there's only one school in the entire district that has ISTEP scores that aren't below the state average in every category.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM

81 posts, read 119,805 times
My neighbor's mother was attacked and robbed in the parking lot of Macy's at Southlake Mall. She was targeted because of her race, age, and sex. She was a White female. They caught the perps, they were from Gary. So, yes, I believe racism does exist.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 PM

Default Nwi 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispanola View Post
My neighbor's mother was attacked and robbed in the parking lot of Macy's at Southlake Mall. She was targeted because of her race, age, and sex. She was a White female. They caught the perps, they were from Gary. So, yes, I believe racism does exist.
Yeah just on the news I was told that residence from Gary are seeking to rob homes in the near towns. They say to call the police as soon as you witness unusual activities, such as repeated cars circling your block or bikecycle riders that look suspicious. Chicago gangs are targeting females on bus stops, gas stations, grocery stores and etc. to kill them for gang initiation or respect. Alot going on in this world right or atleast where Im close to.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:

It's really not a he said/she said argument - you can check greatschools.net to see how Merillville stacks up. I believe there's only one school in the entire district that has ISTEP scores that aren't below the state average in every category.
I stated in my response the first time that Im from Chicago and moved from there to south suburban area. So most likely Im basing my experience from Chicago area to Merrillville IN. Public schools to be exact.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:

What school will that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana