Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM

35 posts, read 114,309 times

Advertisements

Both myself and my wife are going to be applying to doctoral programs (social work/psychology) for entry in 2011/2012, and I'm researching different parts of the country near possible universities.

As I was looking, I stumbled on Valparaiso and it looks like a nice place from what I can tell... I'd like a place we can settle, which means it needs to be safe and needs to have good schools all the way up through high school for our children, our 2 year-old son and our 6 month-old daughter. I'd like a decent-sized lot (.75 acre or better) and a minimum 4-bedroom house. Valpo seems to deliver on those fronts.

Here's the rub: I'm white, my wife is black. Our children are biracial. As I was looking on this site, the racial makeup graph of Valpo doesn't even have a "Black" pie-slice, presumably because the community is so small.

What is the racial environment in Valpo like? How are interracial kids accepted? In Scottsdale, we deal with some dirty looks when we're out, but I've found the West to be very different from the Midwest (my wife is from Southfield, MI and we go back a lot). So how's Valpo racially? Any other, better areas that you can still get a lot of acreage and a lot of house for the money - but that are as good academically and safety-wise?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
I don't know that much about Valpo specifically, but there is racial prejudice in NW Indiana in general. It's mainly covert and under-the-radar, but it does exist. I'm sure there is some racial prejudice in Valpo as well. To be honest, racism is everywhere and, at some level, we're all racists. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you carry yourself in a favorable way and are friendly, you'll be fine. There's racism even in the cities that claim to be open and tolerant, so you really can not avoid it 100%. I wouldn't rate Valpo as a place that African Americans should avoid.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Valpo considers itself to be very progressive - it is a college town after all.

In all honesty, a biracial couple would be better off in Valpo than in most other NWI communities. I can think of several, less progressive towns that I would tell you to stay the heck away from.

Valpo is pretty white, but we have a biracial couple in our subdivision, a black family across the street with kids and every thing is pretty much hunky dory.

The more I think about it, there's another black family down the road ... an Asian/White married couple that live behind us ... honestly, I really don't think about it much, but I really think you'd be fine.

As for housing, move now and I'll sell you this house down the block from us. 4000+ sq feet, over an acre, $300K. C'mon over!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 30,317 times
I lived in Valparaiso for years and never actually witnessed any racism, although I know its around because it is around everywhere you go. I lived toward the University where it seems to be a more mixed crowd racially. 90% of the people I knew were black and most of them had bi-racial children. There are alot of different grade schools in the area and I am sure your kids would fit in great. There are plaenty of thigs for kids and adults to do as well. I am positive your family would fit right in!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM

211 posts, read 947,522 times
We just moved to Valpo in the fall so haven't really had the time to find out truly what its like, besides the fact that we seem to get a heck of a lot of snow. Anyway, my husband is Asian and I am white so we also wondered how people were going to treat us. So far the people we have met have been nice and no problems yet. We figured being a college town that Valpo would be a little more open to different nationalies. Hopefully we are right. I probably wasn't very helpful but just wanted you to know that as Valpo residents we would welcome nice neighbors regardless of their race or ethnicity. I would be ashamed to find out people are not treated with respect. I know there are always one or two who ruin it for everyone. I hope you don't get one of them in your new neighborhood. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 AM

35 posts, read 114,309 times
Thanks all for your thoughts!

Yes, I know racism is everywhere - but there are definitely places that it's not nearly as covert as others... I appreciate everyone's honest and forthright answers...

Here in Scottsdale, $300k buys you almost nothing! Maybe a halfway decent condo... just looking in a lot of the midwest, you can get so much more. Maybe that's the price of shoveling snow - I had someone once tell me that it may be hot in the Arizona summers, but at least you don't have to shovel heat!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone that has responded so far!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 18,958 times
My family is also looking at Valpo and the surrounding areas. We are an African American couple and want to know about the areas to absolutely avoid! We have lived in the S. Suburbs of Chicago for a long time now so we pop in and out of Indiana a lot but we are not very familiar with living there?? We also have a three year old that will start Pre-k soon and would like to place him in a school that is at least somewhat divers. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times
Here's what's been going on in Valpo as far as racism:

Valpo leaders meet to discuss race relations :: Porter County :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter/1482288,vrace.article - broken link)

Racism in spotlight in Valparaiso :: Porter County :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter/1501270,vrace.article - broken link)

Racial vandalism reported at Valpo business :: Porter County :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter/1502908,valparaiso-racism.article - broken link)

Racial vandalism reported on barn :: Porter County :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter/1511141,vwhitepower.article - broken link)

Another allegation of racism made :: Local News :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/1527150,pcracism.article - broken link)

VU fire termed 'suspicious' :: Porter County :: Post-Tribune (http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter/1529716,vufire.article - broken link)

Old 04-16-2009, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 17,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor.52719 View Post
My family is also looking at Valpo and the surrounding areas. We are an African American couple and want to know about the areas to absolutely avoid! We have lived in the S. Suburbs of Chicago for a long time now so we pop in and out of Indiana a lot but we are not very familiar with living there?? We also have a three year old that will start Pre-k soon and would like to place him in a school that is at least somewhat divers. Thanks for your help!
If you're looking at NW IN in general, I would avoid Griffith. I grew up there and was continually astonished by the degree of racism and hostility toward difference of any kind that still exists there (Though of course, if you ask people, they'll say they aren't racist at all!). While I was in high school (less than a decade ago), and the first black family to do so bought a house in the subdivision where we lived, much of the neighborhood apparently considered it to be a big deal. They were perfectly nice people, but they woke up to find racial slurs scrawled on their property a couple times, among other things. And when my little brother, who is white, dated a black girl while they were in high school, they still frequently got treated like they were breaking some big taboo when they'd go out together. Not everyone in the town is like that, of course, and it is becoming a little bit more integrated as time goes on, but enough people are set in their backward ways for it to still be a problem.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor.52719 View Post
Quite honestly, you will not find diversity in Valpo schools - Valpo schools are overwhelmingly white (something close to 90%) with black students coming in at around 2-3%, hispanic at 5%.

The most diverse school district in NWI is probably Merrillville - but the school district doesn't necessarily have a good academic reputation.

www.greatschools.net is a good place to start looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana